Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS - 2016 B1G Tournament

Swartz’s Golden Goal Pushes No. 4 IU Past Northwestern

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The No. 4-ranked Indiana University men's soccer team defeated the Northwestern Wildcats, 1-0, in overtime on Sunday afternoon in the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals at Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

With the victory, the Hoosiers advance to play the No. 20-ranked Wisconsin Badgers on Friday, Nov. 11 in the semifinals at Grand Park in Westfield, Ind. Game time will be either 12:00 or 2:30 p.m. ET.

Indiana improves to 11-1-6 on the season overall with the victory, remaining perfect this season at Armstrong Stadium with a record of 7-0-3. Winners of three in a row, IU has posted a record of 5-0-2 in the team's last seven games. Northwestern's season comes to an end with a mark of 6-11-1.

Swartz scored the game-winner for the Hoosiers just 59 seconds in to overtime on the assist from Austin Panchot. GK Christian Lomeli posted his third shutout of the season – the 10th overall for the Hoosiers this year.

The Hoosiers controlled possession for the majority of regulation, out-shooting the Wildcats, 14-6. Although Northwestern had six shots in the match, none were on goal as Lomeli wasn't bothered much during the contest.

In overtime, the Hoosiers wasted little time finding a winner. On the attack down the right side of the pitch, Panchot sent a great cross in to the middle of the 18-yard box. The ball found Swartz, who buried a header from 12-yards out in to the side netting, giving IU the victory. Swartz's fifth goal of the season was his second game-winning score of 2016.

With the victory, IU advances to the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament to face No. 20 Wisconsin, who beat Ohio State, 3-0, on Sunday to move on. IU, who has won 12 Big 10 Championships, played the Badgers to a 0-0 draw earlier this year in Madison, Wisc.

The Big Ten Tournament semifinals and championship will be played at Grand Park – The Sports Campus at Westfield, Indiana on Friday, Nov. 11 and Sunday, Nov. 13. This marks the first time the Big Ten Men's Soccer Tournament will be held at a neutral location in addition to being Grand Park's first collegiate soccer tournament.

Tickets to attend both semifinal games on Friday are $7 for students and $12 for adults. Tickets for the championship game on Sunday are $7 for students and $12 for adults. Call 317-975-2021 for group tickets and pricing. All tickets are general admission with limited seating available. Active military and veterans may attend for $1.

Where did you see the times for the Semi's? Everything I've seen says TBA with no announcement which game is at 12pm and which game is at 230pm?

Also I would like the Big Ten to put some rules in place about how many men you can play on defense at once. If I'm IU and Maryland I'm petitioning the Big Ten office big time to limit this as to often opponents (especially Northwestern) play 'gutless' to quote Hope Solo throwing numbers back on defense and not trying to win. That's why I love IU Maryland games as both teams actually bring numbers forward and try to win which is far more entertaining soccer.

17 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Where did you see the times for the Semi's? Everything I've seen says TBA with no announcement which game is at 12pm and which game is at 230pm?

Also I would like the Big Ten to put some rules in place about how many men you can play on defense at once. If I'm IU and Maryland I'm petitioning the Big Ten office big time to limit this as to often opponents (especially Northwestern) play 'gutless' to quote Hope Solo throwing numbers back on defense and not trying to win. That's why I love IU Maryland games as both teams actually bring numbers forward and try to win which is far more entertaining soccer.

On a MSU site.

18 minutes ago, Aaron said:

God I hope they don't do that

Futbol on every level must deal with this situation, and have since the beginning . I hope your rule change never is discussed.

32 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Legitimate question - have you watched much soccer at any level?