Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2017) PG David Beatty to South Carolina

My only thing here is it seems very much like a desperation move. We missed on the other two so now we're gunning last second for this kid. Seems like CTC wants a pg at all costs for this class, which seems odd. We'll have Newkirk and Rob back, as well as the two combo guards CuJo and Green. We're also going for Garland in 2018 along with a few others. Just an odd situation.

Last second desperation move? The staff has been tracking him for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

56 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Last second desperation move? The staff has been tracking him for a while.

Yes I'm not comparing this to an April/Priller type of desperation move, I more or less mean they're so intent on getting a pg in this class that they'll just keep going down the list until they get one.

From MadeHoops:

David Beatty sets two official visits - Seven new schools have reached out

Class of 2017 guard David Beatty made the decision this past summer to transfer from St. Benedict’s Prep (NJ) to Imhotep Charter (PA) for his senior year. He and his team played in the Hoop Group Fall Showcase this weekend. Beatty has liked what he has seen from his new school so far.

“We play with a lot of heart and a sense of urgency on the floor,” said Beatty. “Everyone on the team plays hard and I like that because I see myself as a player that gives it all I have whenever I’m on the court.”

Beatty has enjoyed playing with Rhode Island commit Daron Russell. He thinks they complement each other on the court.

“In my opinion, I think we could be the best backcourt in the country,” he said. “We both are able to trust each other’s decisions fully and can do multiple things on the court. We have a mutual respect for each other.”

Two weeks ago he decided to reopen his recruitment from a list of eight schools. Beatty has seen this to be a good decision for him so far.

“I just felt that I need to prove myself more,” Beatty said. “Since I opened things up this month, things have picked up even more so it was a good decision.”

Since reopening his recruitment seven schools have jumped into the picture for him.

“The new schools that have started recruiting me are South Carolina, Michigan State, Michigan, Syracuse, New Mexico, Texas and Texas Tech,” he told MADE Hoops.

He has gone on one official visit so far and it was to Georgetown.

“I went on an official visit to Georgetown two weeks ago,” he said. “I really liked the campus, they have a great vibe over there. Georgetown has a lot of history and they have a family like atmosphere.”

Beatty has set two official visits for the next couple of weeks.

“I have two official visits planned going forward,” said Beatty. “I have set an official visit to South Carolina next weekend and Indiana the weekend after that.”

After taking a step back from the recruiting process for a moment, he will stay open minded this around.

“I’m just going to keep my list open this time instead of cutting it down,” he said. “I feel like that is telling schools that you aren’t interested in their program and that isn’t something that I’m interested in doing.”

Beatty is going to make a decision when he feels the time is right instead of setting a desired commitment date.

“My decision will come whenever I feel most comfortable with a school,” Beatty said. “I’m not sure when it will be. It could be next week or next month, but I am going to trust my instincts and decide when I know I’ve found my school.”

Well heck. That is pretty newsworthy.

Beatty is very much in the RoJo/tough as nails, good shooter mode. Excellent offer list. 

It also confirms what we should have deciphered from the Tremont Waters interest: IUBB wants to take five for '17, another guard and another large wing or big.

Position-less basketball has arrived at IU.

This year, All of our rotation players can guard at least SG through center, or PG through PF (unless JBj doesn't succeed at guarding anyone, lol).

David Beatty very much fits that mode.

I may be biased cause of how much I love this kid's game, but I'm absolutely thrilled we have a good shot at him. I think he will finish the season being ranked 60-85 as well. The kid is a strong finisher, good defender, his shot is smooth and he literally gives it his all. I think he will be one of those guys Crean turns into a diamond in the rough even though he's ranked I expect him to end up playing as a top 40 kid in this class when all said and done if he comes here. I would've rather had Waters, but I'm not that upset if we get him instead. I know others look at it different and ever since I've watched this kid at St. Benedicts I've thought he was a UCONN guy from momentum, but that changed to Georgetown and now us(thank god). If we can add him & Wilkes or Preston I'm in love w this class. Smith & Moore have me very excited they will overachieve as well and I love Durham the kid, but not the player. I feel like he won't get many chances here, so I'd rather see him go elsewhere but he's been very loyal so if he stays I won't care. 

A scouting report.

Strengths: A tremendous athlete who can play above the rim, Beatty has the size and athleticism to play high-major basketball. Very good at finishing around the basket when driving, has the body and strength to finish with contact, very effective scorer in the open court. Very good handle, Developed his jump shot to become an effective shooter. Good defender who likes to play the passing lanes.

Weaknesses: Likes to play the point position but lacks intangibles needed to play the position; has to work on making other people around him better by becoming a better distributor. Needs to continue to refine his shot selection and become a more efficient scorer.

Overall: Despite being a very talented guard already, Beatty still has a lot of upside to look forward to. Has everything you want from a dream point guard with size, speed and agility; just has to learn to play the point or embrace his scoring abilities over to shooting guard position.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Also worth noting, that scouting report was 1 year ago. Shooting is reported to be improving. PG skills still not considered a strong suit yet.

He is lightning quick. He seems to love IU even though Uconn and Georgetown have been recruiting him hard. Uconn is prioritizing Diallo and Georgetown took Waters. We prioritized Waters and missed. The timing is obvious. He still seems to really like IU. Interesting.

Our pace of play is a big selling point here. He likes to fly.

Never really watched his highlights until now. Have to say, I'm impressed. Big body, really solid handles, quick. Wouldn't be too upset with this signing. I feel like he could become a monster in 2-3 years

I am ok with this get simply because nobody else wanted to come. I am not overly thrilled, however. We can sugarcoat all we want, but everyone knows these last few weeks have been a big disappointment and I for one can admit IU just isn't what it used ti be and these kids dont care about championships from 3 and 4 decades ago.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using BtownBanners mobile app

I am ok with this get simply because nobody else wanted to come. I am not overly thrilled, however. We can sugarcoat all we want, but everyone knows these last few weeks have been a big disappointment and I for one can admit IU just isn't what it used ti be and these kids dont care about championships from 3 and 4 decades ago.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using BtownBanners mobile app

And to add to that, we brought in one 2017 recruit to HH. I suppose if we get Beatty and Preston then that was the plan. I am expecting to hear who our fall back plan is for Preston soon.

Crean is still trying to sway Wilkes obviously with his visit to his school. Sounds like that ship has sailed.

Anyone else worried about often injuried DeRon Davis taking over for TB and not having a true backup big?