Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Game Thread. Maryland @ Indiana 3:30 ESPNU

How much can we expect Lagow to improve week to week? How long does it take to get to know the system? I'm not sure I've seen any but I'm not the expert that some are on here.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm just confused about the situation because johns and Wilson said he was named starter because he picked up the playbook so quickly..... So my question is what happened or did they stretch the truth? That's what I'm so confused about

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

So sounds like we get Feeney back finally? Would be nice to open up the run game a hair so everyone isn't just ready to pounce the next Lagow throw.

It's still just incredible that the one position to lock in, seems like it was majorly mishandled. I guess I can't expect too much out of Lagow. He wasn't just going to jump from juco and take on the big ten with no bumps in the road.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

So sounds like we get Feeney back finally? Would be nice to open up the run game a hair so everyone isn't just ready to pounce the next Lagow throw.

It's still just incredible that the one position to lock in, seems like it was majorly mishandled. I guess I can't expect too much out of Lagow. He wasn't just going to jump from juco and take on the big ten with no bumps in the road.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure feeney was back last weekend.

Bump it's game week for gosh darn sake.

Sadly and honestly everything that's happened since MSU has quelled enthusiasm. We don't appear to be improving as the season progresses. I think Maryland beats us this week, yet I predicted us to win. No confidence with these guys. Glad to see the defense improve but the O is light years behind where it was last year. At least last year our offense was entertaining.

I'll watch every single IU football game I can but this year's team seems lacking in playmakers.

Still hoping to make a bowl game and this week is a huge step towards that.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Feeney was back last week, but was limited on snaps. Hopefully he's closer to 85-90% this week. Need the running game to get going to take some pressure of Lagow. WOuld be nice for the defense to get a pick early or force a fumble. Fant dropped a huge one last weekend. 

Wonder if Wilson is giving a little lip service around Lagow, too. He may still be the starter, but perhaps he plans on playing Diamont and doesn't want Maryland prepping for it too much. By downplaying the QB situation to the media, he keeps Zander more of a surprise. 

This is going to be a tough matchup for us. They have a strong secondary and we have a struggling passing game with an underachieving run gamd. They have an outstanding run game, and as good as our defense has been, interior defensive line depth is our weak spot currently.

Talent wise I think we are much more talented than UMD. If Lagow has a good game this should be a no brainer win. If he continues to overthrow open receivers short and under-throw them long, we will lose in similar fashion to the past few weeks.

I have said this in other topics: as poor as Lagow has played, we have had ample red zone opportunities to win every game. It is my hope that we use Zander in the red zone, where his legs can keep the defense guessing. He has the football IQ to make the quick decisions, where Lagow struggles, and arm strength isn't an issue in such a short corridor.

2 hours ago, KB0 said:

Feeney was back last week, but was limited on snaps. Hopefully he's closer to 85-90% this week. Need the running game to get going to take some pressure of Lagow. WOuld be nice for the defense to get a pick early or force a fumble. Fant dropped a huge one last weekend. 

Wonder if Wilson is giving a little lip service around Lagow, too. He may still be the starter, but perhaps he plans on playing Diamont and doesn't want Maryland prepping for it too much. By downplaying the QB situation to the media, he keeps Zander more of a surprise. 

Having Feeney back closer to 100% will help, but I'm not sure how much.  Part of the run game struggles are defenses focusing on the run more due to Lagow's accuracy issues.

Yes the O is struggling badly right now. But Wilson has a 20 year track record of very good to elite offenses, I have to believe he'll figure something out. Perhaps it's not this year and we miss a bowl. Not the first time in our history we missed going bowling. More than likely it wouldn't be the last.

The defense, however, is not just improved, it is DRASTICALLY improved. Per NCAA stats we rank 49th in total D, we were 121st last season. Using advanced metrics from FootballOutsiders (think kenpom you basketball types;)...we rank 20th in Dfei and 32nd in S&P+. Last year those were 105 and 106. We have already played  most of the high ranked offenses on our schedule, I see no reason those numbers shouldn't remain that good, if not improve. We return everybody on D except big Ralph. Bowen and Barwick have looked good and we have a couple hoss's coming in. I find myself enthused by all that.

Bring on the Terps.

Go Hoosiers!

The team really needs to win this weekend; not only to keep the bowl hopes alive but also to give the team some confidence. We have been in quite a few close games against some very good teams. The combined record of the teams we've lost to is 22-6, with Northwestern having 3 of those loses early in the season. But regardless, I hope this is the week the offense takes the next step and helps our defense win the game. Maryland runs the ball very well so our run defense will have to play well. We rank 70 in Offensive S&P+, 32 in Defensive S&P+ and 65 in Special Teams S&P+. Maryland? 72 Offensive S&P+, 47 Defensive S&P+, and 99 in Special Teams S&P+.