Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUMS - Grant Lillard Update

Zain Pyarali - Indiana Daily Student

Lillard's health is key for IU men's soccer heading down the stretch

Defense has been the key for IU men’s soccer throughout the entire season.

It’s a large reason why the Hoosiers are currently second in the Big Ten table. The defense has allowed just 12 goals in 14 matches this year, and senior goalkeeper Colin Webb has shut out opponents in half of those games, However, IU has been able to play particularly well without its main cog in the middle of its backline.

That would be junior center back Grant Lillard.

Lillard has missed three games this season, two due to a stomach virus illness keeping him out of the lineup against IUPUI and Rutgers and the other against Maryland because of his first-ever red card against Stanford in the match before.

Now he said he feels like he’s back and figures to play a major role for the Hoosiers down the stretch heading into the postseason.

“It’s been tough for me this year just because I’ve been kind of unlucky with a lot of things,” Lillard said. “I feel like I’ve finally gotten in a rhythm back to playing. My fitness is back, which 
is great.”

The 6-foot-4 junior defender was tabbed with multiple preseason awards, including a first team All-America selection and named best defender in the nation from a coaches’ poll conducted from topdrawersoccer.com.

Lillard netted five goals and one assist in his freshman season in Bloomington and then proceeded to follow that performance with four goals and five assists as a sophomore. He’s started in every game that he’s played in during his IU career but has only found the back of the net twice in his junior year with no helpers to 
show for.

“It was tough because I got fit and then was out for a little bit and lost it a little bit, but I’m finally back, and I feel good again,” Lillard said. “It’s nice to get back in playing shape.”

Lillard is still performing well when he’s healthy and in the lineup. As a freshman, 25 percent of his shots resulted in goals, and 21 percent found the back of the net in his sophomore year. He averaged just over 19 shots in his first two seasons combined.

In limited time this season, Lillard continues to convert his shots a 25-percent clip with two goals on eight total shots in 2016.

That mark currently ties the preseason all-American for third with Ohio State’s Austin Bergstrom among defenders in the Big Ten, while Maryland’s Alex Crognale leads the field with a near 29 percent success rate.

After attempting five shots in the first two games of the season, it wasn’t until after his illness against Butler on Sept. 28 that Lillard got back into the shot column. Since the meeting against the Bulldogs, the defender has recorded three shots in the past five games with one goal to show for.

While it’s evident that Lillard remains in the elite category when discussing defenders in the Big Ten, it’s his size that can be a major factor during a match.

He put his height on display Oct. 11 against No. 4 Louisville and scored the opening goal in IU’s 2-1 road victory. In the 12th minute, Lillard was able to receive a high cross from sophomore midfielder Jeremiah Gutjahr to head it home at the back post past the Louisville keeper.

IU Coach Todd Yeagley said that they always feel they have a height advantage on offense when the 6-foot-4 Lillard is on the pitch.

It’s not just Lillard contributing on the offense end with his height, however.

He’s also getting it done on the defensive end. It’s the unit as a whole that Yeagley praises.

“They don’t get rattled when the game isn’t going great,” Yeagley said about his defense. “If we’re not in a good flow for 20 minutes, it’s alright. Let’s let our defending solve it, and then we find a way back to win the game.”

Lillard said that the confidence and communication that the defensive unit has with one another is an important part of the team. While Lillard missed some time early in the season, it was the unit as a whole that was able to step up and not lose a game without their preseason all-American center back.

Now that Lillard is back and finally feels fit once again, there’s no reason to think that he can’t become the player he once was for the Hoosiers on its backline.

“We’re confident with our lines in defending and communication,” Lillard said. “(Derek) Creviston is great with communicating, and our outside backs are wonderful with one-on-one situations. We don’t panic, we know what to do, and it’s worked out well.”