Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Indiana vs #10 Nebraska Game Thread (Oct. 15- 3:30PM - ABC/ESPN)

Does anyone else feel like once we win a couple of these type games, that maybe the floodgate will open to a 9-3 or 10-2 season? We are so close!

Sent from my LG-H810 using BtownBanners mobile app

Wilson has proven he can have a great offense. Allen is proving he can provide a legit D. I say we're close to having one of those breakout years.

I don't like that approach for two reasons:

1)  It makes it difficult for one to get a rhythm going.

2)  It makes the offense more predictable.  Diamont in?  It's almost certainly a run so the defense will be stacking the box and pinning their ears back.

I do think something needs to be done, but at the same time I don't really like any of the options.

I agree here. When you have a QB who isn't accurate like Lagow, momentum is of critical importance with consistency of mechanics and rhythm.

IMO, if CKW had confidence in Zander's arm strength he would have called some downfield passes when Zander was in. Nebraska was stacking the box, it would have completely caught them off guard. However, we only called run plays and lateral passes, so your point #2 is true.

Here are our choices:

1. Stick with Lagow and hope he gets better. I think this is our best option. As bad as it's been, Lagow is still only in his sixth game. Were our expectations for him unrealistic?

He has awesome arm talent, and I want to say if he can just improve his accuracy we'll be OK, however, he still has the same mechanical problems as his JUCO videos. No lower body movements in his throws, doesn't square up for passes.

Makes me think the coaches might have tried to work with him but decided it was too much to fix in a short period of time...

2. Continue to rotate Zander and Lagow. I don't like it for the reasons JSHoosier stated above, but if Lagow is in the middle of a cold streak, we may have no choice. Might be time to give Zander the whole playbook when he's in and let him sink or swim on his own.

3. Go with a completely different option in King or Cameron and open the whole playbook. Not sure either is ready for this. I like King's talent a lot, maybe he's a gamer?

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll.

Frustrating as hell, but we are a darn respectable team, and that matters. Any talk of settling is premature at best, imo. If we continue to beat teams we should and make bowls, I'll gladly settle for that for a couple more years. If we still can't beat any of the big boys by then, its a fair discussion.

Struggling QB play and all, we still could go 5-1 the rest of the way. The D is legit and with McCray and Robinson back, the D-line has finally been able to get a push with only four.

I'm hoping the step down in competition will ease some of Lagow's issues, and getting Feeney back would be a plus (although at this point it is what it is). Onward to Northwestern.

Go Hoosiers!

Good point JohnsonIU about the competition. Wake Forest just held FSU to 17 points. Their defense is extremely stingy. OSU and Nebraska are obviously top ten teams.

Hopefully the offense opens up as we hit this upcoming stretch. I'm excited to see what the defense does against less competition as well!

Zander went 5-7 for 49 yards, a 10 yard average per catch.  Plus one of the misses was a drop by the receiver.  

Perhaps he's not as bad as some say?  Might as well give him a shot.  Lagow has directly cost us 2 games

3 hours ago, akhosrof said:

I agree here. When you have a QB who isn't accurate like Lagow, momentum is of critical importance with consistency of mechanics and rhythm.

IMO, if CKW had confidence in Zander's arm strength he would have called some downfield passes when Zander was in. Nebraska was stacking the box, it would have completely caught them off guard. However, we only called run plays and lateral passes, so your point #2 is true.

Here are our choices:

1. Stick with Lagow and hope he gets better. I think this is our best option. As bad as it's been, Lagow is still only in his sixth game. Were our expectations for him unrealistic?

He has awesome arm talent, and I want to say if he can just improve his accuracy we'll be OK, however, he still has the same mechanical problems as his JUCO videos. No lower body movements in his throws, doesn't square up for passes.

Makes me think the coaches might have tried to work with him but decided it was too much to fix in a short period of time...

2. Continue to rotate Zander and Lagow. I don't like it for the reasons JSHoosier stated above, but if Lagow is in the middle of a cold streak, we may have no choice. Might be time to give Zander the whole playbook when he's in and let him sink or swim on his own.

3. Go with a completely different option in King or Cameron and open the whole playbook. Not sure either is ready for this. I like King's talent a lot, maybe he's a gamer?

Some on this board we really over hyping him IMO.  I wasn't particularly high on him, so that could be why I'm ready to make a move.  I'm not high on Diamont either, competitiveness be darned; admittedly I'm not a fan of dual threat QBs, I've seen far too many that weren't serviceable passers so they're not what they're supposed to be (and too many more that look to run before anything).  Give me a traditional drop back passer 10 times out of 10, with an emphasis on accuracy.

Some on this board we really over hyping him IMO.  I wasn't particularly high on him, so that could be why I'm ready to make a move.  I'm not high on Diamont either, competitiveness be darned; admittedly I'm not a fan of dual threat QBs, I've seen far too many that weren't serviceable passers so they're not what they're supposed to be (and too many more that look to run before anything).  Give me a traditional drop back passer 10 times out of 10, with an emphasis on accuracy.

Sounds like you're ready to give Cameron a chance? Before transferring Catholic in Baton Rogue, Cameron went to high school at Loyola Blakefield right down the street from me in Towson, MD, when his dad was the offensive coordinator for the Ravens. I remember reading how Cameron would do QB drills with Joe Flacco.

Cameron is a coach's son through and through. I'm sure he has a high football IQ, and his mechanics and accuracy are sound.

Anyways I digress, I still want to see Lagow as the starter.

3 minutes ago, akhosrof said:

Sounds like you're ready to give Cameron a chance? Before transferring Catholic in Baton Rogue, Cameron went to high school at Loyola Blakefield right down the street from me in Towson, MD, when his dad was the offensive coordinator for the Ravens. I remember reading how Cameron would do QB drills with Joe Flacco.

Cameron is a coach's son through and through. I'm sure he has a high football IQ, and his mechanics and accuracy are sound.

Anyways I digress, I still want to see Lagow as the starter.

Cameron is the direction I'd go, yes.  I've said that before on this board.

Lagow has cost this team two games, and even against MSU the defense held them until he had about two good drives.  His arm strength doesn't matter when he's not hitting his targets, and his accuracy is a real problem.  I think you (and some others) put too much emphasis on arm strength, QBs can get by without a cannon for an arm.  Currently Lagow is hurting the team more than helping, and we can't keep doing that.

People are saying if we go with Zander we lose being able to throw the ball deep. When you're as inaccurate as Lagow has been we don't have any deep ball to lose. They haven't even tried going deep with Lagow except for a few times a game. Zander has shown he can hit the short slants and screens that they are doing with Lagow already. This way at least we have another running option. I'd also like to maybe see what Cameron can do.

Cameron is the direction I'd go, yes.  I've said that before on this board.

Lagow has cost this team two games, and even against MSU the defense held them until he had about two good drives.  His arm strength doesn't matter when he's not hitting his targets, and his accuracy is a real problem.  I think you (and some others) put too much emphasis on arm strength, QBs can get by without a cannon for an arm.  Currently Lagow is hurting the team more than helping, and we can't keep doing that.

Yes, I do put an emphasis on arm strength in CKW's offense. However, I do agree you don't need a cannon. And Lagow's accuracy is certainly hurting the team. It's nice having a five play seventy-five yard drive like Lagow had in the fourth quarter yesterday. But it's frustrating having him miss two wide open big plays on the last drive with one of them ending in a pick.

The question becomes do Cameron or Zander even have an average arm strength required to play in this offense? Sure it sucks Lagow is missing open throws downfield, but those are throws Zander probably wouldn't have even been able to attempt. I am not sure on Cameron's arm strength.

One more thing about Cameron: he's still relatively new to playing QB. He was a DB and backup QB at Loyola his junior year. However, he is very intelligent and this is his third year in our program.

I just want to win a bowl game. Whoever gives us the best chance that's who I'm for. At this point I am very curious about Cameron and what he can do.

If you look at Cameron's high school highlights his release is very quick and compact and he does a good job of throwing on the run. He worked out of a rolled pocket a lot, so CKW would likely have to change his game plan a little to accommodate that.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

Zander went 5-7 for 49 yards, a 10 yard average per catch.  Plus one of the misses was a drop by the receiver.  

Perhaps he's not as bad as some say?  Might as well give him a shot.  Lagow has directly cost us 2 games

I thought Zander looked good when he played. Is he the answer? Probably not, but at this point it's probably not Lagow either. Lagow simply is at risk at throwing an interception anytime he looks to throw deep due to his accuracy issues. Will we lose a lot in the passing game with Zander? Yes, but we'd gain a lot in the running game and we'd see far less turnovers per game.

I really can't stress it enough, Lagow's turnovers are absolutely killing this team. 

Also, a big reason I am in favor of making a change with Lagow is the confidence I have in the defense. If the offense isn't working we can get stops. However, when we start giving away turnovers and giving the opponent the short end of the field there is only so much the D can do.

16 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Very very close call but they got it right. The refs I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Here's my opinion on this: I don't think you can say it was the right/wrong call, because from the angles i've seen it was way too close to call. My issue was the refs closest to the play called it Indiana ball, and then after a huddle a different ref decided to overrule them. On a play that close, how could a ref feel so confident to overrule the guy closest to the play?

On 10/15/2016 at 7:40 PM, KingPG21 said:

No. Diamont can't throw the ball, we'd be at risk of losing to Rutgers and Purdue is Diamont is starting. Let alone teams that have actual talent

Like i said, i don't really follow the team all that much compared to the basketball team. Zander just looks like he has that "flare" to his game. If he can't throw, then yeah i'd imagine it wouldn't be a good idea. But what i've seen from Lagow in the couple games that i've actually watched, i'm confident in saying there should be a change at QB.