Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) PG Shaila Beeler to IUWBB

We were the first to offer back in June of  '15 and she's been on campus several times. Top in-state for this class. Coach Banks' Dad runs the Indy Lady Gym Rats.

Indianapolis, IN (Warren Central)
AAU: Indy Lady Gym Rats
5'6"

ESPN (5*,14)

Prospects Nation (4*,7)

'15-'16 Stats

GP - 24
P/G - 15.0
Ast/G - 6.0
Reb/G - 4.0
Stl/G - 2.3
Blk/G - 1.2

Back in October '16, ccg was the first to open this thread noting we were the first to offer and apparently sometimes being #1 is important in recruiting.

WBB: Shaila Beeler, 5-7 PG, Warren Central HS (Indianapolis, IN), has committed to Indiana, per her HS.  Fourth 2019 commit for IU, joining:  Jorie Allen, 6-1 W, Bedford North Lawrence HS (IN);  Mackenzie Holmes, 6-2 C, Gorham HS (ME); Arielle Wisne, 6-5 C, Horizon HS (Thornton, CO)

Then these tweets from Jon Blau -

Beeler helped lead Warren Central to a state title last season. Prospect Nation regards her as the No. 19 player in the nation, the No. 4 point guard. She'll most likely be the one groomed to take over for Columbus North alum Ali Patberg when she graduates.

Teri Moren and IU picking up some recruiting momentum in the state of with the commitment of Warren Central point guard Shaila Beeler. A long-coveted in-state prospect. Joins BNL's Jorie Allen in the 2019 class, along with posts Mackenzie Holmes and Arielle Wisne.

More from Jon Blau - 

Indiana received a commitment Sunday from one of the state’s most highly regarded prospects in 2019, Warren Central point guard Shaila Beeler.

Beeler, considered the No. 19 recruit in the country by Prospects Nation, helped lead the Warriors to their first state title in 2018. She averaged 13.5 points and 5 assists per game. The 5-foot-7 guard plays with another 2019 IU commit, Bedford North Lawrence forward Jorie Allen, as part of the Indy Lady Gym Rats AAU program.

Beeler is IU’s fourth verbal commitment for 2019, but she is the first guard in the class. Allen (6-1), Arielle Wisne (6-5) and Mackenzie Holmes (6-2) pledged prior to Beeler.

In Beeler, the Hoosiers now have a line of succession at the point guard spot from graduating senior Tyra Buss and well into the future. Ali Patberg, who transferred to IU from Notre Dame last year, is slated to assume the point guard role in 2018-19 as a redshirt junior. Beeler will arrive when Patberg, a former Indiana Miss Basketball, heads into her senior year.

Along with the additions of Patberg and Allen, the commitment of Beeler is another sign the Hoosiers are making recruiting inroads in the state.

“What’s unique about Shaila’s situation: she comes from an Indianapolis school,” Indy Lady Gym Rats coach Danny Riego said. “If you look at the recent past in Indiana, there hasn’t been a ton of Indianapolis kids that have gone to Bloomington.

“Shaila has a good reputation within the Indianapolis area, specifically. This could literally open the floodgates to North Central, Ben Davis, Pike, because you have arguably one of the three or four best players in the 2019 class out of Indianapolis verbally committing to Indiana.”

Beeler is battle-tested, having played in the elite Nike EYBL for three years. Riego describes her as his floor general, with an extremely high basketball IQ. While Beeler isn’t the tallest point guard, she scores a majority of her points in the paint because of a quick first step.

That description may sound similar to Buss, in a way. But the Warren Central junior has often played the role of facilitator with her high school and AAU teams, and it’s a role she plays at an elite level.

Beeler was one of 35 athletes invited to participate in USA Basketball’s Under-17 trials in 2017.

“Beeler can score the basketball, but she might win you a basketball game with two points and 12 assists,” Riego said. “It’s not that Buss can’t have two points and 12 assists, she’s just a better scorer naturally. Beeler is a playmaker, a truer point guard that can lead a loaded team.”

Big time recruiting win. I’ve always felt like Indiana Women’s Basketball is a potential giant. Our base recognizes and supports good basketball, regardless of sex. Lost in the hoopla about the men’s talent that this state produces, is the fact that we produce some STUD women ball players. I welcome a comepetitive women’s team. My daughter would embrace them immediately.

Additional info from Jon Blau -

Talked to new 2019 IU commit Shaila Beeler. She said assistant Janese Banks, who played at Ben Davis H.S., played a role in convincing her to stay in-state. "She made me realize how amazing it would be to play basketball where people knew who I was and things like that."

Beeler, a junior at Warren Central, said she considered IU among four other schools: Mississippi State, Ohio State, and Michigan State. She committed to IU during an official visit this weekend, pledging in-person with coaches/players there.

1 hour ago, HoosierTrav said:

Big time recruiting win. I’ve always felt like Indiana Women’s Basketball is a potential giant. Our base recognizes and supports good basketball, regardless of sex. Lost in the hoopla about the men’s talent that this state produces, is the fact that we produce some STUD women ball players. I welcome a comepetitive women’s team. My daughter would embrace them immediately.

How old is your daughter?  If you've never been to a women's game, it's a lot of fun!  The ladies stay on the floor after the game and sign shirts for the kids.  My daughter (14) and I went to two of the WNIT games (including the championship), and she said it was more fun than going to a men's game.  Granted, she's been going from a time where you could literally hear people across the court talking (and the lady sitting behind us knitting the whole game) empty, to breaking the IU women's single game attendance record.  We've got something special brewing here!

This recruit is 100% due to coach banks. Maybe 110%

...her dad runs the aau program that beeler plays for

Regardless, it's a great commit.

We need to work on the frontcourt now, can't believe they showed zero interest in cydni dodd who already plays with beeler.

Allen is good but undersized and the wisne girl isn't even d1 talent imo. The other girl from maine is mid major talent so she will be somewhat of a project. I'm hope aleksa gulbe will be a nice surprise.

12 hours ago, mamasa said:

How old is your daughter?  If you've never been to a women's game, it's a lot of fun!  The ladies stay on the floor after the game and sign shirts for the kids.  My daughter (14) and I went to two of the WNIT games (including the championship), and she said it was more fun than going to a men's game.  Granted, she's been going from a time where you could literally hear people across the court talking (and the lady sitting behind us knitting the whole game) empty, to breaking the IU women's single game attendance record.  We've got something special brewing here!

She’s going to be 5 years old soon and is starting to develop a love for basketball. I’ve also trained her that we are Indiana Hoosiers and that the blue team is ucky. 

IndyStar First team.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/all-usa/2018/10/29/indiana-high-school-girls-basketball-indystar-preseason-super-team/1807495002/

Beeler carried the Warriors to a state title last season, averaging 13.5 points and 5 assists. During the tournament, the IU commit averaged 20 points, and averaged 26 points over the final three games of the season. Her ability to control the offense will be essential to the team's chances at making another tournament run.