Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Class of '66 Old Fart

Jess Walter leaving IUWBB

In today's world of college athletics, I suppose the following shouldn't come as a huge surprise but Jess Walter, sophomore guard announced she's leaving the program.  She averaged 16 min./game and 2.8 pts/game.  With virtually everyone coming back plus competition from incoming recruits, not likely her minutes would increase.  Hate to see her leave the team, but hopefully she'll find what she's looking for.  Many thanks for her contributions and wish her nothing but the very best.

CeMD-VeUsAEFT-S.jpg

More from the Daily Student:

Sophomore guard Jess Walter will be transferring from IU, the 6-foot guard from Midland, Michigan, announced via Twitter on Tuesday evening.

Walter’s announcement comes at the conclusion of the 2015-16 season. She appeared in 32 of 33 games, starting in five after battling a concussion in the preseason. Walter scored just 2.8 points in 16.4 minutes per game.

“Hoosier Nation,” Walter tweeted. “I have built some life long bonds and have met some incredible people. I am very proud of the growth of this team and will continue to wish the rest of my teammates the utmost success. However, after much consideration and prayer, I have decided to continue my career elsewhere.”

Next season, Walter would have found herself battling for playing time. Lyndsay Leikem is the only graduating player on this year’s team. IU Coach Teri Moren will return first-team All-Big Ten sophomore guard Tyra Buss, junior guard Alexis Gassion and junior guard Tyshee Towner in the backcourt, among others.

The Hoosiers will also welcome a pair of freshman guards next season as part of their four-member 2016 recruiting class. Moren signed 5-foot-9 Texas guard Ria Gulley, who projects as either a point guard or 2-guard. IU also added 6-foot-1 wing Bre Wickware, who is able to play Walter’s position on the perimeter.

Walter is the first player to transfer from the program this season after four players departed following Moren’s first season in Bloomington. Guards Larryn Brooks (Texas Tech), Maura Muensterman (Belmont) and Taylor Agler (Ohio) all left, while forward Liz Stratman (Stephen F. Austin) also departed.

IU just recently saw its season end to top-seed Notre Dame in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Monday, 87-70. The Hoosiers capped off a historic season with their first NCAA win since 2002, defeating Georgia in the first round.

Former Indiana guard Jess Walter will transfer to Northern Kentucky.

Walter’s mother, D’Andra, confirmed the transfer shortly after the sophomore guard posted “Norse up” on Twitter late Friday afternoon.

D’Andra Walter said more than 30 schools contacted Walter once she announced her intent to transfer. Dawn Plitzuweit, the head coach at Northern Kentucky, recruited Walter when she was an assistant at Michigan.

The day after IU was eliminated from the NCAA tournament by Notre Dame, Walter announced on Twitter that she was leaving the program. She averaged 2.8 points in 16.4 minutes per game. She is the second recruit from the class of 2014 to leave, following 6-foot wing Maura Muensterman’s transfer to Belmont after last season.

Walter showed promise her freshman year, hitting 41 percent of her 3s, which was a Big Ten best among freshmen. But following a concussion in the preseason, she went on to hit 28.1 percent from the field and 26.7 percent from 3 in 2015-16.

She would have had to compete for playing time in next year’s backcourt, with transfer Tia Elbert becoming eligible and the arrival of incoming freshman Ria Gulley from San Antonio, Texas. Alexis Gassion, Towner and McBride will be seniors next season, as well.

But Walter told the Midland Daily News that her decision had nothing to do with playing time. She declined to offer a specific reason to the Daily News.

Northern Kentucky plays in the Horizon League, and was 19-14 with a 9-9 record in conference play. The Norse lost in the first round of the Women’s Basketball Invitational (WBI) to USC Upstate, 71-69.

9 hours ago, mamasa said:

Best of luck to Jess Walter!

Absolutely wish her the best.

There is the one troubling quote from the article:  "But Walter told the Midland Daily News that her decision had nothing to do with playing time. She declined to offer a specific reason to the Daily News."   So the obvious question becomes what is the real reason for the transfer?  Issues with CTM; issues with other players on the team?  Inquiring minds want to know just because we're curious and nosy.

On April 8, it was announced that Jess Walter was transferring to Northern Kentucky and today she announced that was no longer the case.

Former Indiana guard Jess Walter is no longer headed to Northern Kentucky following the departure of head coach Dawn Plitzuweit.

The University of South Dakota announced today it had hired Plitzuweit, who was formerly an assistant at Michigan. One of the top reasons Walter chose Northern Kentucky was because Plitzuweit had recruited her out of high school in Midland, Mich.

“I wanted to announced that I am reopening my recruitment once again, due to Coach Dawn accepting a position elsewhere,” Walter posted on Twitter. “Thank you to Coach Dawn and the staff at NKU for the opportunity. I am still very excited about what the future holds, and I know God has a plan for me through this season of change.”

The day after IU was eliminated from the NCAA tournament, Walter announced her intent to transfer. She averaged 2.8 points in 16.4 minutes per game in 2015-16, struggling early in the season after suffering a concussion in practice.

Walter is the second recruit from the class of 2014 to leave the program. Six-foot wing Maura Muensterman’s transferred to Belmont after last season.

D’Andra Walter, Jess’s mother, said more than 30 schools expressed interest in the sophomore guard when she expressed her intent to transfer. According to the Midland Daily News, Walter’s list of interested schools included Pennsylvania, Memphis, DePaul, Texas Christian, and Florida Gulf Coast.

Wish her well and hope it's the right decision for her.

Sophomore guard Jess Walter announced Wednesday via Twitter that she is transferring to Nebraska Omaha.

Walter, who announced she was leaving Indiana the day after the Hoosiers were eliminated from the NCAA Tournament, originally committed to Northern Kentucky in April. But when head coach Dawn Plitzuweit left the Norse to take the head coaching job at South Dakota, Walter reopened her recruitment.

Walter averaged 2.8 points in 16.4 minutes per game in 2015-16 for the Hoosiers.

Omaha finished 15-15 last season and 7-9 in the Summit League. The Mavericks did not receive a berth into any postseason tournaments.