Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2017) SG Jaelynn Penn to IUWBB

Courier-Journal:

Honoring the members of the Courier-Journal's Kentucky all-state girls basketball team for the 2016-17 season, as voted on by the coaches:

JAELYNN PENN

BUTLER, SENIOR, 5-10

On the floor: Averaged 14.7 points and 6.7 rebounds for the Bearettes, who finished 33-3 after falling to Murray in the quarterfinals of the Sweet 16. Shot 59.6 percent from the field, 33.3 percent (23 of 69) from 3-point range and 82.5 percent from the free-throw line. Won two state titles during her career at Butler and was named the Gatorade Kentucky Player of the Year this season. Four-year member of the All-State team, including first-team honors as a junior and honorable mention as a freshman and sophomore.

Off the floor: Penn is a solid student with a 3.76 grade-point average and ranks in the top 20 percent of her senior class at Butler. Bearettes coach Larry Just said Penn wants to be a doctor. “She felt like (Indiana University) was the place to go because of their medical school,” Just said.

Future: Signed with Indiana University.

Quotable: “Jaelynn gave us good leadership – not so much as a vocal leader but in the way she went about her business every day,” Just said. “She was the first one in the gym, and she competed every day in practice as well as anyone I’ve ever had.”

13 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Kentucky All-Stars win girls game 75-67 over Indiana All-Stars. IU recruit Jaelyn Penn is Most Outstanding Player.
@kyleneddenriep

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Strong second half because at halftime she only had 4 pts. on 2-8 shooting.  Finished with 20 pts. on 9-20 shooting and added 10 reb. as well.

DB_qJiRW0AUqfHU.jpg

Must have been unconscious in the second half because at halftime I saw that she only had 4 pts. on 2-8 shooting.

Indiana recruit Jaelyn Penn (Louisville Butler) has had strong second half for Kentucky All-Stars. Penn has 20 points, 9 rbs. Kentucky up 8.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Indpls. Star:

On an evening when balls were simply not going in baskets for Indiana at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indiana commit Jaelynn Penn stole the show ... for the Kentucky All-Stars.

The guard/wing from Louisville Butler scored 20 points along with 10 rebounds for a double-double, helping engineer a second-half comeback against her future home state's team. After shooting just 24.4 percent and trailing the Indiana All-Stars 33-25 at the half, Kentucky shot 60.6 percent in the second half to grab a 75-67 road victory. It was Kentucky's first win in the series since an 84-78 win in Lousiville in 2013.

Penn, who was named Most Outstanding Player and is the Gatorade Kentucky Player of the Year, said she didn't feel any added significance playing in front of an Indiana crowd. But it's clear she and the rest of her teammates had no trouble finding motivation. 

"We knew that they had won seven in a row," Penn said. "For us it was just a competitive aspect of it, breaking the streak, and I think that's the main thing we're excited about."

Indiana coach Curt Benge could tell. Although he said Kentucky's unorthodox defensive switches and strategies took his team out of its comfort zone and led to uncharacteristic turnovers, he said his team's opponent came out "on a mission" and credited their energy as the biggest difference in the game.

"(Penn)'s good. I'm glad she's going to Indiana," Benge said. "She's a very good player. She played with a lot of poise, and she finished well around the basket."

Gary West's Dana Evans led Indiana for a second straight game with 18 points and Homestead's Karissa McLaughlin, this year's IndyStar Miss Basketball, contributed 12 in a losing effort, though she was just 4-for-16 from the field. Indiana shot 31.7 percent for the game. 

"I don't know if you ever hold a great shooter down; you just hope that they miss," Kentucky coach Larry Just said. "(McLaughlin) got some great looks and thank goodness she didn't hit some of those things ... We probably dodged a little bit of a bullet there on some of those possessions."

Despite a tough shooting night, McLaughlin said she expects the Indiana All-Stars to be ready to prevent a sweep on Sunday, when the teams rematch at 2 p.m. in Frankfort, Ky.

"Hopefully we'll take this loss against Kentucky today and bounce back tomorrow with tons of energy and tons of high fives, and with everyone just hitting their shots, and I think that we will do that," McLaughlin said.