Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sam_Boger

Collin Hartman Injury

I fear that CH has played his last game as an IUBB scholarship player.

I could easily see him getting a Derek Elston-style role after this year, especially since Derek is not going to hang around all that long in his current role without looking for career advancement.

I know most are ready for the news on Collin's knee to be bad, but y'all need to prepare yourself for him to be a four year scholarship player, not a five year player.

We all want to have:

• Balanced classes,
  • To give scholarships to players that will pursue an IU degree, and
  • To have room for high-level new players to commit with some certainty that a spot will be available.

Collin being done will meet all of those criteria, and he will now have missed almost two years with leg injuries. As I said, be prepared for his scholly playing days to end, unless there is an unexpected open slot. BTW, that no doubt happens sometimes - Danny Moore and Jeff Howard both got a scholly year, but in Matt Roth's year it wasn't in the cards. 

Now...time for a whole lot of discussion on this reasonably likely situation!

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

I fear this could be true as well. Especially if we get a 5 man class. That would require everybody going pro and 2 transfers. 

Or...it would require everybody going pro, CH and Tim Priller graduating, and no transfers. Which would make Al Durham, Grant Gelon, and potentially a guy like Clifton Moore our "we understand the deal" back-bench guys.

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

True. But I was agreeing with you. Not sure why you phrased your response like that. 

And I am agreeing with you! Didn't mean it to read as a disagreement; just trying to illustrate the alternative to what you correctly cited as an unlikely scenario.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And I am agreeing with you! Didn't mean it to read as a disagreement.

No worries. I'm probably just tired is all. 

I still expect one of our guards to want to transfer. Green or Gelon probably. So with that and if sprinkler graduates maybe Hartman can come back. Even if it's to back up Wilkes and Morgan. And to be an example to Smith and all the other young kids

I agree, we may have seen the last of Collin here at Indiana University. Of course, this is based on the assumption he's out this year with a knee injury and other things.

With the landing of Smith this weekend, this adds some depth to our SF/3/Small ball 4 position. Collin is a 3/4 in Creans system. Throw in Freddie/Gelon/Smith/OG/ , we have some depth for next year at the 3 spot. A lot depends on who else we land in this 2017 class and of course if Byrant/James/OG go pro. 

Right now, i don't see any minutes for Gelon this year or in the future. I could see him getting Crean'd before Collin would. Priller will also be on scholarship next year and i don't see him getting minutes this year or next year. Personally, I rather have Collin than Priller and Gelon. No offense to these kids, but Collin provides a lot for us on the court. 

If we land another SF/PF, then someone will have to go (Rotation and depth wise). It could be Collin, but i would hate to see him go instead of Gelon/Priller. Once again, not trying to hate those kids, just my opinion. 

I agree, we may have seen the last of Collin here at Indiana University. Of course, this is based on the assumption he's out this year with a knee injury and other things.

With the landing of Smith this weekend, this adds some depth to our SF/3/Small ball 4 position. Collin is a 3/4 in Creans system. Throw in Freddie/Gelon/Smith/OG/ , we have some depth for next year at the 3 spot. A lot depends on who else we land in this 2017 class and of course if Byrant/James/OG go pro. 

Right now, i don't see any minutes for Gelon this year or in the future. I could see him getting Crean'd before Collin would. Priller will also be on scholarship next year and i don't see him getting minutes this year or next year. Personally, I rather have Collin than Priller and Gelon. No offense to these kids, but Collin provides a lot for us on the court. 

If we land another SF/PF, then someone will have to go (Rotation and depth wise). It could be Collin, but i would hate to see him go instead of Gelon/Priller. Once again, not trying to hate those kids, just my opinion. 

There's no way Colin goes anywhere, unless his injury never allows him to get back to full strength and he decides to go. Crean will keep him as long as Colin wants to be here.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

No it doesn't

I guess I just assumed he was out for the year. That tweet makes it sound like he should be back at some point.

EDIT: Osterman clarified, Hartman could use regular red shirt instead of medical IF needed. My bad, didn't think of that.

Edited by J_Smiff

This is terrible for CH. I feel really bad for him. He would have really helped us, but in order to see the sunny side, it does give a guy like McSwain a much bigger opportunity to fill a need. AND in an athletic fashion.

ITS terrible for our recruiting though IMO. Hartman is a 3/4. Wilkes, Smith are both 3/4. This certainly doesn't help us with positional roster balance and complicates things a bit in Wilkes recruitment. Makes it much harder to take 2 SFs and then also a PG and C.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This is terrible for CH. I feel really bad for him. He would have really helped us, but in order to see the sunny side, it does give a guy like McSwain a much bigger opportunity to fill a need. AND in an athletic fashion.

ITS terrible for our recruiting though IMO. Hartman is a 3/4. Wilkes, Smith are both 3/4. This certainly doesn't help us with positional roster balance and complicates things a bit in Wilkes recruitment. Makes it much harder to take 2 SFs and then also a PG and C.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I know what you're saying but think about it like this: Tom Crean has been recruiting Kris Wilkes since 8th grade.  He's not going to turn away Kris Wilkes because Collin Hartman can take an additional year, which means he may not even be given an additional year to begin with.

Just sucks all around.