Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Uspshoosier

(2017) SG Anthony Mack to Wyoming

On 9/20/2016 at 2:38 PM, Uspshoosier said:

@adamzagoria: Florida, Georgia tech and Indiana are scheduled to see 2017 @Iam_AnthonyMack this week.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Kings of "under the radar" are we!!!

GALLOWAY, N.J. -- The last week of the 2016 AAU season tipped off on Wednesday night, with the final five-day live recruiting period of the summer getting underway at 5 PM.

Anthony Mack (2017/South Jersey Jazz)
Mack has been appearing on D-I radars from all over the country this month.

After hearing mainly from mid-major programs like Yale and Robert Morris heading into the month, Mack has been receiving phone calls and offers from schools including Memphis, St. Louis, Duchesne, Wyoming, St. John’s, Indiana, Northwestern, Northeastern, Gonzaga, USC and UCLA.

Mack, a 6-5 wing guard, flashed many of the skills that have been attracting these teams Wednesday night, scoring 13 points for the Jazz -- including three 3-pointers -- in a loss to the NY Ionians.

He also made several sharp full court passes resulting in layups at the other end for his teammates, and pulled down a few rebounds thanks to his jump and wingspan. Mack is listed as a shooting guard, but he guarded every position on the floor at one point from defensive switches and playing in transition.

Mack switched to the Jazz to play under head coach Tim Legler, the former La Salle sharpshooter who went on to a lengthy NBA career, in June after previously playing with the New Jersey Playaz.

“Coach Legler played my position, so I knew that I could learn a lot from him,” Mack said. “We all share the ball and it’s a great program. I’m happy that I found them.”

Mack played his first three years at Catholic Central High School in Troy, N.Y. under head coach and his father, Chuck Mack. Blair head coach Joe Mantegna met Mack when he was working out with former Blair standout and incoming Notre Dame forward Elijah Burns.

Mantegna and Mack hit it off, and Mack transferred after his junior year as a reclassified junior for the 2015-16 season.

Mack says he is looking for three specific things before making his decision.

“I want to play for a coach and staff that I’ll have a good relationship with; player development, so that they’ll help me be able to play at the next level; and winning, because I want to play for a team that will go to the NCAA tournament,” he said.

Workouts begin for Mack and the rest of his Blair teammates begin in the final week of August. Mack intends to visit with Memphis, Wyoming, and potentially Yale at the end of August and early September, but he has no visits scheduled. He plans to commit to a school before his senior season begins in October.

On 9/20/2016 at 2:38 PM, Uspshoosier said:

@adamzagoria: Florida, Georgia tech and Indiana are scheduled to see 2017 @Iam_AnthonyMack this week.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not a lot to see.   6'6"    215 lbs.    Blair Academy, Blairstown, NJ.  No MaxPrep stats for last year.

Played AAU ball on South Jersey Jazz on the Under Armour circuit but only played in 4 games all at the end of the summer.  Don't know why such a limited number.  For the 4 games he averaged 12.5 PPG on 53% FG / 45% on 3's / 100% FT's - only shot1 / 2 reb / 1 asst / 1 TO / 1 stl.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/high-major-interest-rising-in-three-star-anthony-mack

Anthony Mack had a breakout weekend at the Under Armour Finals in Atlanta during July. He had multiple 20-point games and had coaches slowly but surely beginning to take notice of his abilities. It took a couple months, but now some of those schools that tracked him in July are beginning to prioritize him.

Last week, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Indiana and Tennessee made their way up to New Jersey to see the 6-foot-4 shooting guard. Other schools have started to inquire about him as well.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

Mack talked about what he knows and what stands out about the programs involved in his recruitment.

Florida: “I like Florida a lot. They offered Deng Gak from my team here at Blair. We’re actually roommates and really good friends. He’s told me a lot about them and he told them they should recruit me. He told them he would like to play with me in college.”

Georgia: “I know coach (Mark) Fox also coached at Nevada and his teams there were always really good. I know the area and I know a little bit about their program from what coach Legler has told me. Coach Fox just told me they love my game. He said I played really well when they watched me play and he said I can fit their style of play. He said I could make an impact right away there.”

Georgia Tech: “Coach (Josh) Pastner, he’s recruited well. He just got Jose Alvarado, who I’ve played against. He saw me play in Atlanta in July and liked my game as well. I’ve heard great things about the school itself and coach Pastner as well.

Indiana: “Coach (Tom) Crean is obviously a great coach. They are another school that is on Deng too. I’ve asked him about them and he said to definitely be interested if they come after me. It’s a historic program and they have a historic gym. I know coach Crean is big on developing guards as well.”

WHAT'S NEXT?

Mack already took one of his five official visits to Wyoming, so he has four remaining. He currently has one set up with Saint Louis for Oct. 6 and will visit Georgia the weekend of Oct. 15. He hopes to use the other two before deciding sometime in the middle or later in October.

RIVALS' REACTION

With the recruiting process just now heating up for Mack with high-majors, it’s hard to pinpoint which way he’s leaning. He admitted he’s going into these visits with an open mind and doesn’t want to name favorites beforehand. As he mentioned with Florida and Indiana, playing with his teammate and close friend Deng Gak at the next level could turn out to be a factor in his recruitment.