Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2017) PF Billy Preston to Kansas

7 hours ago, NoahW35 said:

I don't know his exact situation but it's the same place that Mudiay and Ferguson came from.

Trevon Duval and Billy Preston are both top 10 players in this class who have been at Prime Prep and neither is being recruited by Duke or Kentucky.

Arizona stops recruiting him after getting burned by Terrance Ferguson.

Hope for his sake he is able to play but eligibility could be a real concern

He was at a sham of a school.

He's not anymore.

Quoteth Fred Glass:

"Number one, it’s all about recruiting. Our coaches are not allowed to recruit a kid who has a significant or reoccurring discipline issue without my personal sign off on it. We’re very sensitive about red flags, and we’ve passed on some unbelievable kids. Your readers would probably be sick if they knew of some of the people we’ve passed on from a performance standpoint that we thought were just too much of a risk from a conduct standpoint. Number two is education. Even before they come here, we try to educate them on what it means to be an IU football player or IU men’s basketball player, and if they’re not willing to reach that higher standard, whether they think it’s fair or unfair, they should go someplace else. That’s just the reality here."

I am reasonably convinced that the decision to recruit Preston was made with eyes open.

The longer he takes in the process, the better our chances are, I think. Crean seems like the type of person his mom wants her son to play for.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

As always that official visit is important but I think it's even more important here. I feel like if he gets the opportunity to run with the team he'll know the caliber of players hell have for teammates.

Durham-->Waters-->Gak/Smith-->Wilkes-->Preston

The longer he takes in the process, the better our chances are, I think. Crean seems like the type of person his mom wants her son to play for.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don't know man. Crean typically does best on quick commits from recruits that come out of nowhere. The only recruit I can recall that was a drawn out complete process of OVs was Cody Zeller. Not saying he won't get him but his track record favors quick out of nowhere commits.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Make no mistake, Billy Preston is multi-talented. 

Preston is one of several people referred to as the "Fifth Beatle". At one point during the Get Back sessions, John Lennon proposed the idea of having him join the band (to which Paul McCartney countered that it was difficult enough reaching agreements with four).[6] Preston played with the Beatles for several of the Get Back sessions, some of the material from which would later be culled to make the film Let it Be and its companion album. Preston also accompanied the band for its rooftop concert; the group's final public appearance.[5] In April 1969, their single "Get Back" was credited to "The Beatles with Billy Preston", the only time such a joint credit had been given on an official Beatles-sanctioned release (as distinct from an unsanctioned reissue of some Hamburg-era recordings on which they were the backing group for Tony Sheridan). The credit was bestowed by the Beatles to reflect the extent of Preston's presence on the track; his electric piano is prominent throughout and he plays an extended solo. Preston also worked, in a more limited role, on the Abbey Road album, contributing to the tracks "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and "Something".

In 1978, he appeared as Sgt. Pepper in Robert Stigwood's film Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which was based on the Beatles' album of the same name, and sang "Get Back" as the penultimate song.

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Make no mistake, Billy Preston is multi-talented. 

Preston is one of several people referred to as the "Fifth Beatle". At one point during the Get Back sessions, John Lennon proposed the idea of having him join the band (to which Paul McCartney countered that it was difficult enough reaching agreements with four).[6] Preston played with the Beatles for several of the Get Back sessions, some of the material from which would later be culled to make the film Let it Be and its companion album. Preston also accompanied the band for its rooftop concert; the group's final public appearance.[5] In April 1969, their single "Get Back" was credited to "The Beatles with Billy Preston", the only time such a joint credit had been given on an official Beatles-sanctioned release (as distinct from an unsanctioned reissue of some Hamburg-era recordings on which they were the backing group for Tony Sheridan). The credit was bestowed by the Beatles to reflect the extent of Preston's presence on the track; his electric piano is prominent throughout and he plays an extended solo. Preston also worked, in a more limited role, on the Abbey Road album, contributing to the tracks "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and "Something".

In 1978, he appeared as Sgt. Pepper in Robert Stigwood's film Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which was based on the Beatles' album of the same name, and sang "Get Back" as the penultimate song.

Based on the dates of his contributions, he's definitely going to have eligibility issues due to his age

15 hours ago, HoosierD said:

Any info on this one Pap?

It's a mess. And those who think Crean has some inside track and has assurance from Smith that Preston will be eligible..Smith and Calipari are legit friends and I see no UK interest.

It's a mess. And those who think Crean has some inside track and has assurance from Smith that Preston will be eligible..Smith and Calipari are legit friends and I see no UK interest.

If so, then panic move??

The weak recruiting from the state will raise big flags if we don't get stud out of state guys. 2017 most interesting recruiting year ever to me.

Close to 4 5 star kids from Indiana and a couple other solid players. Potentially miss all of them. Unless we have a rocking class, the Indiana recruiting debate will be deafening.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

If so, then panic move??

The weak recruiting from the state will raise big flags if we don't get stud out of state guys. 2017 most interesting recruiting year ever to me.

Close to 4 5 star kids from Indiana and a couple other solid players. Potentially miss all of them. Unless we have a rocking class, the Indiana recruiting debate will be deafening.

We may not even be recruiting him all that hard. I think USC is the only school that has really been after him. Could just be We checked in on him and told him we are interested and since there aren't too many schools after him that could get us in his 'top 5'

9 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If so, then panic move??

Without knowing the specifics I can't be sure but my mind certainly wasn't thinking panic move. What I know isn't a ton, but he's come up certainly because of his talent and lack of interest. I think he's actually been enrolled in 5 "schools" and maybe a brief home schooling stint. 2 in Cali, Prime Prep (which closed before attending), brief home school(?), API (where several prime prep players transferred to) then Oak Hill. So from the outside looking in it looks like a mess. ..Just really hard to get your core classes in with that much movement but he could get it in order, I suppose.

There is something else a little strange with Mom's partner, now his godmother and AAU coach but I can't remember exactly.

THAT SAID....

I think IU is probably reaching out to an elite a basketball player and seeing where it goes. Maybe a little bit of what Noah said?

IU has not extended an offer, to my knowledge, so them being in the top 5 may speak to how many schools are in contact...I guess I took it more as IU is doing their homework....which works for me.

I know nothing about the USC stuff, Noah seems to know more on all that.

This seems like a gamble move. Crean and staff would rather land a 5 star that might not play than to target a kid who won't contribute till 2018 or beyond. And frankly I understand that thinking because if we land Preston, Wilkes and Waters even if we lose JBJ, OG and Bryant we will be a top 10 team.