Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

(2017) PF/C Sterling Manley to UNC

Manley seems to be an interesting prospect.  I'm not confident in saying he'd be a solid backup to DD as a frosh yet but if we have the room I'd extend an offer.  Ideally, Crean and Co. should have three bigs on the roster with a few having the versatility to play the 4.  Manley could be solid third big in that rotation.

17 hours ago, bhaggard89 said:

Tell me about how unranked bigs under Crean have done...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

16 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

OG is 6'9"

15 hours ago, VO5 said:

Wouldn't consider OG a big, though. I think he means at the 5 position

If we're talking about unranked at the 5 spot, I think we have three: GMMichel, who never got eligible, and April and Tijan, who sucked as players, but filled scholly spots that would've otherwise gone empty. April was a net negative on team chemistry, and Tijan was a huge positive.

Not a very big sample size.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I think Crean has turned a corner, and then some, from the Jobe/Muniru/Michel/April days when our 6-10 plus guys collectively averaged less than 40 minutes per season, with the likes of Zeller, Vonleh, Bryant and Davis. But it would be awesome to use this coming season as the start of an era in which we always have two capable bigs on the roster at the same time.  And even better, in my opinion, if we could occasionally land a capable 3-4 year big, versus having to turn them over every 1-2.

The point being that Sterling Manley could be that guy? I stand by the post above, but not sure that the IU staff thinks that Manley is the player who can fill that role.

Yeah, we just have to trust the staff on these calls. What makes us all worry so much is the April, Priller, Jurkins etc.

We should be in a better recruiting spot now where we can be more discerning.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

If we bring in a Preston, Bamba, Richards, or Gak I think we should go after someone like Manley as a third big.  Davis appears to be able to play the four or five as does Preston.  Gak would be able to play the 5 and push Davis to the 4 in some lineups.  Manley wouldn't have any pressure to contribute besides spot minutes.  He could be brought along slowly and contribute as a sophomore+ when needed depending on how long the others stay.  Regardless of how prior "project" bigs turned out you have to continue to scout and recruit them.