Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) CG Jalen Blackmon

I like the family. Rooting for all of them at IU or otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don’t know why, but ^^that^^ post strikes me as one of the shortest and best posts I’ve read by anyone in quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

52 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I kind of would love to have seen an Archie coached JBJ

Not too get too far off topic for the thread, but the Blackmon boys weren't taught any man-to-man defense at the high school level either by pops. It was all about scoring a lot and pressing lesser skilled/athletic teams on defense to create turnovers. It's why James struggled so much when he got to college and was asked to guard one-on-one.

28 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

Not too get too far off topic for the thread, but the Blackmon boys weren't taught any man-to-man defense at the high school level either by pops. It was all about scoring a lot and pressing lesser skilled/athletic teams on defense to create turnovers. It's why James struggled so much when he got to college and was asked to guard one-on-one.

True. I wonder how much truth there is to the rumor their dad is going to want a coaching at Jalens school

1 hour ago, Crimson and Cream said:

He was honestly better as an on the ball defender than he was as an off the ball defender. Truly the worst away from the ball as I've ever seen someone, literally lost. 

1 hour ago, Woodson1980 said:

Plus the fact he had two knee surgeries significantly limiting his lateral quickness.
As aggravating it was to watch his defense sometimes I never felt the kid deserved the grief he got here.
He was one of the best rebounding guards we've ever had here.Lazy kids dont do that.

Sent from my LGL41C using BtownBanners mobile app

Off the ball defense and awareness has little to do with lateral quickness 

2 hours ago, Woodson1980 said:

Plus the fact he had two knee surgeries significantly limiting his lateral quickness.
As aggravating it was to watch his defense sometimes I never felt the kid deserved the grief he got here.
He was one of the best rebounding guards we've ever had here.Lazy kids dont do that.

Good point, I always seem to forget about his knee issues. 

Off the ball defense and awareness has little to do with lateral quickness 

There is still lateral movement when you're off the ball and, depending on what player has the ball, sometimes you have to be quick. You can't overplay help to make up for a lack of quickness if you're matched up with a shooter.

I will agree with awareness.

1 hour ago, HinnyHoosier said:

There is still lateral movement when you're off the ball and, depending on what player has the ball, sometimes you have to be quick. You can't overplay help to make up for a lack of quickness if you're matched up with a shooter.

I will agree with awareness.

There were few times Blackmon was unable to play well defensively, physically, away from the ball. His awareness and lack of prior coaching were the reasons for his poor performance defensively, not his knees. That's an excuse. 

14 hours ago, Woodson1980 said:

I often felt the same way.  He was our most reliable shooter from beyond the arc and rebounded very well as you stated.  He seemed to be the whipping boy a number of times while RJ was playing/shooting poorly in the same games.  With JBJ gone, Johnson is the same player he always was but now gets a lot more criticism for it.  Like many, I'd really like to see how Blackmon would have fit into Archie's system in the 3 years he was here.

(This isn't meant to be critical of Robert Johnson, but more of a defense of JBJ)

Edited by pumpfake
added sentence

1 hour ago, pumpfake said:

I often felt the same way.  He was our most reliable shooter from beyond the arc and rebounded very well as you stated.  He seemed to be the whipping boy a number of times while RJ was playing/shooting poorly in the same games.  With JBJ gone, Johnson is the same player he always was but now gets a lot more criticism for it.  Like many, I'd really like to see how Blackmon would have fit into Archie's system in the 3 years he was here.

(This isn't meant to be critical of Robert Johnson, but more of a defense of JBJ)

JBJ playing in Archie's offense with someone that would actually set a ball screen for him to square up....hmmmm that would have been interesting.  To create his own shot was always a struggle and he still shot well.