Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) CG Jalen Blackmon

45 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You really over use that term

No I don’t. A top in-state player and nationally ranked player is a must get. If IU wants to get back to where we want them to be, those are the recruits that have to be in the fold. Some of you guys just like to argue about anything. I don’t understand it

I don't normally have a problem with Hoosier Guy but I'm not ready to call any kid in the '21 class a "must get".  Yes, he scored 24 points in his season opener as a freshman, but it was against Maconaquah which isn't exactly an Indiana basketball powerhouse and has a high school enrollment of less than 700 vs. Marion with over 1,000.   Time will tell if this Blackmon is a "must get".   

No I don’t. A top in-state player and nationally ranked player is a must get. If IU wants to get back to where we want them to be, those are the recruits that have to be in the fold. Some of you guys just like to argue about anything. I don’t understand it

What if we get 3 of the top 4 kids in that class? What if we get a kid from Ohio that is ranked higher plus the 3 in state kids? No one kid is a must get. Even if Romeo were only a sophomore now and Archie had 2 more years to work on him. He too would not be a must get.

The must's are that we as a program get back to competing for BT titles year after year and get back to competing nationally by getting to FFs here and there. If we miss out on the highest rated IN player but are able to win a championship it does matter.

Can we win BT titles and compete nationally without always winning the state recruits? It might be harder but yes. When your mindset becomes "we have to get player x" then you become willing to sacrifice the team culture to lure that kid. I am more interested in building a winning culture that attracts to talent to keep winning year after year. That will mean some kids, even great IN kids, will fit better elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, 8bucks said:

What if we get 3 of the top 4 kids in that class? What if we get a kid from Ohio that is ranked higher plus the 3 in state kids? No one kid is a must get. Even if Romeo were only a sophomore now and Archie had 2 more years to work on him. He too would not be a must get.

The must's are that we as a program get back to competing for BT titles year after year and get back to competing nationally by getting to FFs here and there. If we miss out on the highest rated IN player but are able to win a championship it does matter.

Can we win BT titles and compete nationally without always winning the state recruits? It might be harder but yes. When your mindset becomes "we have to get player x" then you become willing to sacrifice the team culture to lure that kid. I am more interested in building a winning culture that attracts to talent to keep winning year after year. That will mean some kids, even great IN kids, will fit better elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Exactly, there will be some bad a$$ players from Indiana that just don't fit.

Tough to find game details on Marion HS basketball.

From 12/8:  Marion 75   Richmond 68.  Jalen Blackmon 20 pts.

From 12/13:  Marion 73  Liberty Christian 41.   Blackmon with 21 pts. in only 3 quarters of action.

Tomorrow is the 5-game, 1-day Marion Classic.  Keion Brooks and FW North Side take on Valpo at 6:00 and the finale for the day is Marion vs.  FW Wayne.  The following is from the FW News-Sentinel:

The younger brother of James Jr. and Vijay, the freshman Jalen has hit the ground running in the infancy of his prep career.

The rookie is averaging over 18 points per game and leads the young Giants in scoring.

Jalen, a 6-1 point, looks every bit the part of a high school star with plenty of physical and mental growth to come. Coached by his dad and former Bishop Luers coach James Blackmon Sr., Jalen has the green light as Marion’s primary outside shooter.

Coupled with some sophomore Jaklyen Thomas and juniors Dre Aguilar and Latrell Simpson, this is a Giants team poised for big things over the next few years.

The showdown with Craig Young and Co. in the final game of the day will be one to see.

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Where does Jalen rank among the three brothers?

It appears he's more of a PG than James. He's scoring at a pretty high clip, as well. One website had him ranked top20 (not that it matters at this point).. Furst was ranked top 10.