Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

Colts / NFL Game Thread

Wow. Just wow.

I think the Colts and med staff royally screwed things up with Luck more than once.

But retiring during the 3rd preseason game is the ultimate middle finger to the Colts imo.

So many thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

As an outsider I would agree with you here. This is the weirdest retirement I have seen since Barry Sanders. Megatron wasn’t too surprising. This is just weird.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

44 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

It figures that a Purdue grad, Ryan Grigson, ruined the career of the best QB prospect in a decade. And screw Irsay for hiring and keeping him for far too long. The Colts are a trash organization that had its flaws masked temporarily by one of the two best QBs to ever play the game. 

I dont know if they were trash during Peytons run but theyve been a dumpster fire since.

I feel like the Irish guy in a Scottish bar here, but I feel compelled to say Dakich called this a long time ago.  I like the guy because he doesn't say what everyone else wants to hear, and he's right all the time about the stuff people don't want to hear.  (Queue knives, mugs, and rocks thrown at my head as I dive out the door)

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Sad that people can’t respect someone for their decision about THEIR freaking health. You can disagree but give the man some respect.

I really hate stupid people.

Has nothing to do with not respecting his health.  It has to do with the timing.  Emotional reaction that's completely understandable.  This team was built around him.  For the next decade.  Jim Irsay was crucified in the media for saying Luck's biggest problem was between his ears; and if Luck knew this was even a remote possibility, he needed to let the Colts' brass know so they would be in a better position than they are now.   

Locally, he has always come across (to me, anyway) as someone who wasn't really all in.  Who didn't truly love being an NFL quarterback and certainly an uncomfortable and unwilling leader.  He said it himself tonight.  He just liked throwing the ball to his friends.  He came across as eccentric and odd.  Saying things like he was "emotionally scarred" from his injury in 2016.   Now?  He's left the team in a horrible position.  Not because he retired, but because he retired 2 weeks before the season opener when the Colts did nothing to replace him or even bring in a draft pick.   

10 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I feel like the Irish guy in a Scottish bar here, but I feel compelled to say Dakich called this a long time ago.  I like the guy because he doesn't say what everyone else wants to hear, and he's right all the time about the stuff people don't want to hear.  (Queue knives, mugs, and rocks thrown at my head as I dive out the door)

People dislike Dakich because he's a dbag to people for no good reason far too often. Not really the place for it, but I lost respect for him with the petty and unnecessary potshots he's consistently taken at "little Archie". 

20 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Sad that people can’t respect someone for their decision about THEIR freaking health. You can disagree but give the man some respect.

I remember Tarik Glenn getting the same kinda nonsense hate

31 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Has nothing to do with not respecting his health.  It has to do with the timing.  Emotional reaction that's completely understandable.  This team was built around him.  For the next decade.  Jim Irsay was crucified in the media for saying Luck's biggest problem was between his ears; and if Luck knew this was even a remote possibility, he needed to let the Colts' brass know so they would be in a better position than they are now.   

Locally, he has always come across (to me, anyway) as someone who wasn't really all in.  Who didn't truly love being an NFL quarterback and certainly an uncomfortable and unwilling leader.  He said it himself tonight.  He just liked throwing the ball to his friends.  He came across as eccentric and odd.  Saying things like he was "emotionally scarred" from his injury in 2016.   Now?  He's left the team in a horrible position.  Not because he retired, but because he retired 2 weeks before the season opener when the Colts did nothing to replace him or even bring in a draft pick.   

The timing isnt ideal but do you think that the colts would give him proper timing if they were going to trade or release him? I don't believe so, and I think he was enough all-in to play as hard as he could for a team that didn't really do that much to protect their greatest asset. And then publicly calls him out for an injury, instead of keeping it in house? The NFL is a business, both ways. React accordingly

Yeah really surprised by the crowd tonight. Ultimately you can’t fault the man. He is the one that has to live with his health. I feel bad for Colts fans due to timing.

1 hour ago, Iugradman said:

This like the Malice at the Palace all over again. A franchise on the cusp of sustained greatness and it is all undone by an incredibly bizarre event.

This has nothing to do with that and isn’t even a close comparison. Luck and his agent fought for a contract he didn’t deserve but got anyway, putting the team at a disadvantage and then quit. That’s his prerogative. The fans boing him and his ill gotten fortune is their prerogative  as well. If he doesn’t like it, give the money back he never earned and piss off

This has nothing to do with that and isn’t even a close comparison. Luck and his agent fought for a contract he didn’t deserve but got anyway, putting the team at a disadvantage and then quit. That’s his prerogative. The fans boing him and his ill gotten fortune is their prerogative  as well. If he doesn’t like it, give the money back he never earned and piss off

So you complain about the contract he got and said it put you guys at a disadvantage? You may want to look and see how much cap space you guys have. It’s crazy how much cap space that team has.

Many many pages ago, I commented on the number of games Luck had already missed due to injuries and posed the question was he too fragile to be an NFL quarterback.  Following last night's blockbuster announcement CBS Sports summarized his NFL injury history and again, to me he's too fragile for the NFL.   

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/andrew-luck-retires-lets-take-a-look-at-colts-quarterbacks-injury-history-in-wake-of-shocking-decision/

19 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Many many pages ago, I commented on the number of games Luck had already missed due to injuries and posed the question was he too fragile to be an NFL quarterback.  Following last night's blockbuster announcement CBS Sports summarized his NFL injury history and again, to me he's too fragile for the NFL.   

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/andrew-luck-retires-lets-take-a-look-at-colts-quarterbacks-injury-history-in-wake-of-shocking-decision/

He played every game for his first 3 seasons. I think it really boils down to the Colts not bothering to protect him for years.  

Yeah really surprised by the crowd tonight. Ultimately you can’t fault the man. He is the one that has to live with his health. I feel bad for Colts fans due to timing.

I get the emotions involved. I’m a Colt’s fan. I guess I’m just a bigger fan of people being healthy and happy.

So I think officially cutting Peyton Manning has to be viewed as a huge failure now. 

Luck only played 2 seasons after manning retired. 

Had they hired competent people and traded Luck they could have rebuilt under Manning and attempted to win another super bowl with him. 

9 hours ago, wirenuts said:

The timing isnt ideal but do you think that the colts would give him proper timing if they were going to trade or release him? I don't believe so, and I think he was enough all-in to play as hard as he could for a team that didn't really do that much to protect their greatest asset. And then publicly calls him out for an injury, instead of keeping it in house? The NFL is a business, both ways. React accordingly

I'm not really in any mood to argue, but in one scenario, he's in effect letting down a team, a fan base, and a management staff by not allowing the team to prepare for this event.   In the other scenario, one guy gets let down; and any player of his caliber would know the end is near when that announcement comes.   How many star athletes do you think are surprised by their termination notice? Sorry, but I think your point is completely myopic.