Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

ND fires defensive co-ordinator but he may not be the sole problem.  Interesting read from Doyel:

Indpls. Star - Doyel Column on Brian Kelly

CtN116AXYAAetZS.jpg

They might want to think about getting rid of Kelly also. 

ND is about to finish paying out Weis's $18M buyout. Kelly signed a six year extension before this spring. I'd love to see their morally superior Catholic institution try to justify flushing another $15M+ down the drain. Father Jenkins said he was morally opposed to paying student athletes but had no problem wasting millions to send Charlie Weis's ass packing.

15 minutes ago, dalton26 said:

Cam Cameron was fired too.

BLEACHER REPORT:

Following the team's disappointing 2-2 start to the 2016 season, the LSU Tigers reportedly fired head football coach Les Miles and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron on Sunday, according to The Advocate's Ross Dellenger and Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman.

Miles, who took over the program in 2005, leaves Baton Rouge, Louisiana, having won the second-most games in school history (114). He had a bright start to his LSU tenure, winning the Sugar Bowl in his second season and the BCS National Championship in his third year on the sideline.

The Tigers haven't reached those heights again, though, and after Saturday's crushing 18-13 loss to the Auburn Tigers, Miles' ouster was only a matter of time.

Bleacher Report's Barrett Sallee thought the decision should've been made long before the year got underway:

Purdue fans actually seem to think he is realistic...... wonder if they realize how their program is actually viewed nationally

It's Purdue. In basketball they are us and football they are Notre Dame.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

21 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

And if they're a football or basketball school depends on which one they suck in, if they suck in football they're a basketball school or vice versa.

They thing they're the top dog, but they're the annoying little brother jumping around waving their arms just trying to get attention.  It's pathetic really, I feel sorry for them; they're so desperate to feel like they matter.

On 9/24/2016 at 6:37 PM, LIHoosier said:

Think our football crowd is dead? In a tie game with 5 minutes left in Notre Dame Stadium, the only thing I heard was a Let's Go Duke chant.

I was there.  There was a great "Fire VanGorder" chant as well.

On 9/24/2016 at 9:25 PM, OliviaPope40 said:

Notre Dame lost at home to Duke are you serious some coaches might be on the hot seat.

See yesterday's firing.

On 9/25/2016 at 2:46 PM, OliviaPope40 said:

He's not going anywhere.  They have to be smart enough to know that no one wants the job.  

18 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile ap

Didn't mean to quote this one, but it won't let me delete it!

1 hour ago, dalton26 said:

Blake Barnett is transferring from Alabama.

From the BigLead:

Blake Barnett opened the 2016 season as Alabama’s starting quarterback. Now the California native intends to transfer.

During Alabama’s opening week win over USC, Barnett lost his job to freshman Jalen Hurts. Hurts has since run away with the gig and made it his own, while Barnett and junior Cooper Bateman have been relegated to backup status.

It makes sense that Barnett would bolt now and look for an opportunity to start elsewhere. He’s just a redshirt freshman, so he has plenty of time left to make his mark on college football. He was the No. 2 pro-style quarterback in the 247Sports rankings in 2015 and the No. 21 player overall. There will be schools clamoring for his commitment.

It wouldn’t be surprising to see Barnett head back out West to be closer to home. Though he’ll have to sit out next season per NCAA transfer rules, several schools could use another quarterback, including USC and UCLA.

Barnett made headlines earlier this year off the field as well thanks to his engagement to professional surfer Maddie Peterson.