Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Sheesh talk about jumping the gun- Day has coached 5 games and all the sudden is NFL hotness? Probably the perfect fit for the 'Skins! 

What's the percentage of college coaches successfully making the NFL jump? I can think of Pete Carrol....but he was in the NFL first...….Barry Switzer? I'm sure there are more, but all NFL coaches look the same to me. 

Jimmy Johnson did OK. 

6 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Jimmy Johnson did OK. 

Good call, he's probably the best example. So that makes it about a 3% success rate? 

I don't blame college coaches for giving it a go, plenty of NFL guys fail too, but I sure wouldn't leave O$U for the Redskins or some other dysfunctional NFL franchise that will chew you up and spit you out in 2-3 years. Plenty of pressure in NCAA, but a lot longer leash and easier to succeed, imo. 

Good call, he's probably the best example. So that makes it about a 3% success rate? 
I don't blame college coaches for giving it a go, plenty of NFL guys fail too, but I sure wouldn't leave O$U for the Redskins or some other dysfunctional NFL franchise that will chew you up and spit you out in 2-3 years. Plenty of pressure in NCAA, but a lot longer leash and easier to succeed, imo. 

Honestly straight from NCAA to NFL I would think is closer to 50%. There just aren’t many that do it. Saban and Spurrier are most notable busts. I thought Dave Wandstedt was in that convo and he was a D Coordinator in the NFL right before the Bears job. Most cases involved a successful coach coming up on an investigation or a huge money offer.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Funny play in Nd vs USC. A scrum and a penalty flag thrown. The referee then announced a penalty on UCLA .
I was at the game. There were multiple stadium-wide chants of "UCLA" after that. I kinda hope a new way to taunt USC was born.

On 10/9/2019 at 12:07 PM, Hardwood83 said:

will chew you up and spit you out in 2-3 years

Sounds alot like a portion of our very own fan base!

10 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I release my CFB Top 25 before the AP it Coaches do every Sunday. One team off this week. Only team I don’t have in the Top 25 that both polls do, Minnesota. AP doesn’t have in Temple like I do and Coaches doesn’t have in Missouri like I do.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm starting to become a believer in Minnesota. They barely beat some weak teams and ain't pretty, but they are improving.  And with as impotent as Iowa's offense is, I think the Gophers are the second best team in the West. Looking at their remaining schedule, 10-2 is very possible, 9-3 likely. 

I'm starting to become a believer in Minnesota. They barely beat some weak teams and ain't pretty, but they are improving.  And with as impotent as Iowa's offense is, I think the Gophers are the second best team in the West. Looking at their remaining schedule, 10-2 is very possible, 9-3 likely. 

I kinda just forgot about them honestly while going through the teams but they have beaten up on weak teams in an ugly way. I ranked Appalachian State but I also have a history of ranking small schools like that in football and basketball just to “give them a chance” basically. Sometimes I just get tired of the same teams going in and out from week to week. But I also believe Temple and Missouri would beat Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Some of the penalties that Purdue gets called in its favor are beyond nuts. They jump offside shove a lineman to the ground and Iowa gets called for a false start. For such a bad team that they get calls like that