Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

8 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Look at who they played in each of those games they still lost to a bad Eastern Michigan team and a mediocre Missouri team while their big wins come against an awful Nebraska team and a bad Illinois team. OSU is a tremendous win but let’s not pretend that Purdue wouldn’t lose this game if they played 9 more times. The stars aligned and they won which is great for their program  

The picture looks a lot different when you show the full story rather than the straw man argument you tried. I do think Purdue is better but they aren’t much better like was implied. It’ll likely be a one score win when we play each other  

It’s not running to the mod thread. Fleek is also a mod so doing that it keeps an argument off the board like we’re supposed to. Nice try, but you failed on that one. 

And yet they f’ing won the game...by 29 no less.

What’s the point it talking about whether they would win if they played again? They executed when they had to and that is something that IU never does.

When is that last time we beat an upper tier big ten team by even 1?

5 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

And yet they f’ing won the game...by 29 no less.

What’s the point it talking about whether they would win if they played again? They executed when they had to and that is something that IU never does.

When is that last time we beat an upper tier big ten team by even 1?

The point went way over your head. Someone used the OSU game as an argument and I was more or less saying that it’s one game. It doesn’t make them a great team just because they beat #2. It’s an amazing win for them none the less. We beat a ranked team 2 seasons ago and we didn’t suddenly become great. Miracles do happen 

17 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Look at who they played in each of those games they still lost to a bad Eastern Michigan team and a mediocre Missouri team while their big wins come against an awful Nebraska team and a bad Illinois team. OSU is a tremendous win but let’s not pretend that Purdue wouldn’t lose this game if they played 9 more times. The stars aligned and they won which is great for their program  

The picture looks a lot different when you show the full story rather than the straw man argument you tried. I do think Purdue is better but they aren’t much better like was implied. It’ll likely be a one score win when we play each other  

It’s not running to the mod thread. Fleek is also a mod so doing that it keeps an argument off the board like we’re supposed to. Nice try, but you failed on that one. 

You attacked the best contributor to the group who also happens to be a mod and got called on it. Own it.

2 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

The point went way over your head. Someone used the OSU game as an argument and I was more or less saying that it’s one game. It doesn’t make them a great team just because they beat #2. It’s an amazing win for them none the less. We beat a ranked team 2 seasons ago and we didn’t suddenly become great. Miracles do happen 

Way over my head?  Is part of your job as a mod to be condescending?

You just talked about a straw man and yet you’re the one guilty of it. No one said they are a great team. The point that was made is that they are much better than us right now.

You are also discounting the fact that Purdue’s losses were all early and they’ve clearly improved.  You can keep talking about Eastern Michigan, but the simple fact is that Purdue is now a different team.

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

You attacked the best contributor to the group who also happens to be a mod and got called on it. Own it.

Who called me on it? The person I directed it to read everything I said which was the intent of the post. It wasn’t an attack it was the truth. taking it to the mod section is what should’ve been done in the first place and I failed to do that so I took it there after but Wayne decided to keep it in the thread which we as mods aren’t supposed to do. I shouldn’t have posted it in here in the first place and tried taking it in the mod section  

I’ve got several PM’s since my post that would strongly disagree with you. I also called you on the straw man argument you were trying to make, own that. 

Yes, he did want the job. IU was the better program at the time but Fred had his mind made up and went with the cheap option.

Where was that even at? Like you said Fred made his mind up and it happened quickly. Doubt there would be too much time for someone to want to go to IU that quickly without stepping on campus and knowing what the AD and school is about. Let alone know what they would pay when he isn’t an IU fan.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Way over my head?  Is part of your job as a mod to be condescending?

You just talked about a straw man and yet you’re the one guilty of it. No one said they are a great team. The point that was made is that they are much better than us right now.

You are also discounting the fact that Purdue’s losses were all early and they’ve clearly improved.  You can keep talking about Eastern Michigan, but the simple fact is that Purdue is now a different team.

I reply to people with the same tone they come at me with. That’s how I took your post so that’s how i responded. If you weren’t trying to be then I apologize.  

And the point I initially made was that they may be better but it’s not by a lot like others had said. Honestly I think we’re both mediocre at best football teams. 

19 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

To be fair though, while Michigan State was ranked at the time we beat them, they went on to go 3-9 that year. 

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Not sure Purdue is far ahead of us talent wise but I believe tonight showed they are light years ahead of us coaching staff wise. Brohm and co. righted the ship and put together a plan to beat OSU by 29. Impressive.

I agree with you there. I think Brohm is an amazing coach and won’t be at PU much longer. 

4 hours ago, VeevlandBrowns said:

Harbaugh cried after beating Michigan State? 

Harbaugh has brought UM to a new low allowing his players to disrespect Mich St and their mid field logo. Just a bush league move I thought his teams wouldn’t go there.

Talent-wise? We have better talent on paper...Brohm inherited a pile of dog crap and already has them beating top-5 teams. Allen inherited way better talent; but we have nothing to show for it.

Not sure Purdue is far ahead of us talent wise but I believe tonight showed they are light years ahead of us coaching staff wise. Brohm and co. righted the ship and put together a plan to beat OSU by 29. Impressive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You get what you pay for. Our coaching staff has proven nothing to this point other than the ability to bring in some nice recruits/talent. 

The argument though about Purdue being more talented isn't true. They have an offensive minded coach who knows how to run an offense. We seem to lack that at IU. It does go beyond the QB or lack thereof. 

On 10/17/2018 at 11:21 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

FWIW from Dustin Schutte on saturdaytradition.com

Ever since the scandal involving Ohio State ex-assistant coach Zach Smith broke, college football analyst Paul Finebaum has believed that Urban Meyer has planned his exit strategy.

The SEC Network host hasn’t wavered from that opinion. In fact, he recently doubled-down on his prediction, saying that Meyer appears to be headed out the door in Columbus.

Wednesday, Finebaum joined ESPN’s Get Up! to talk about Meyer’s future with the Buckeyes.

“I sense (his time) is coming to an end at Ohio State,” Finebaum said. “This is observational. I’m watching him. Don’t forget the month of August, one of his worst months ever. I still feel like it’s a bad marriage. We’re hearing him talk about his health. Most coaches don’t talk about their health unless it’s a very serious situation. I think this is a precursor to him walking away at the end of the season much like he did six or seven years ago at the University of Florida.

“The signs are there.”

Two weeks ago in a game against Indiana, Meyer was caught kneeling on the sideline after suffering an intense headache. He later told reporters that he was given some medicine and said he is “fine.”

Meyer has pledged his love for Ohio State repeatedly throughout this season. But Finebaum has been harping on the idea that the head coach could leave after this season since August.

He did leave Florida in similar fashion after the 2010 season. Could we see the same in 2018?

Decided to bump this after OSU mailed it in last night. I'm still not convinced anything changes, but it does make me wonder if there's more going on behind the scenes than we realize.

I noticed late in the first half last night when the camera panned to Meyer on the sideline, he was bent over with his hands on his knees, staring at the ground. May have been nothing, but I thought it seemed kind of odd.