Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/13/17460076/ncaa-redshirt-rule-change-2018
You can now play in four football games and still redshirt. Interesting ... 

Helps schools like IU where depth is an issue. It will allow for freshmen to get some experience if needed and to rest starters in blow outs. I think it's a great rule!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So it turns out (according to a report by Brett McMurphy) that Urban Meyer knew about the alleged domestic abuse by his WR Coach Zach Smith as far back as 2015, yet he completely denied knowing anything at all at last week's Big Ten media day.

It does not look good for Urban...he sure does win a lot of games though!

A few disgruntled players or a bad culture? I guess we will never know, but it sounds like Maryland is having their own Kelvin Wilson situation under Durkin.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-toxic-culture-surrounds-maryland-football-program-coach-d-j-durkin-even-death-jordan-mcnair-231920118.html
Report: A 'toxic culture' surrounds the Maryland football program under coach D.J. Durkin, even before death of Jordan McNair

13 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

A few disgruntled players or a bad culture? I guess we will never know, but it sounds like Maryland is having their own Kelvin Wilson situation under Durkin.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-toxic-culture-surrounds-maryland-football-program-coach-d-j-durkin-even-death-jordan-mcnair-231920118.html
Report: A 'toxic culture' surrounds the Maryland football program under coach D.J. Durkin, even before death of Jordan McNair

Someone died. He needs to be gone yesterday.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24348378/maryland-terrapins-place-trainers-leave-amid-investigation-jordan-mcnair-death

Trainers at Maryland put on leave with response to the football players death and what came out yesterday regarding the toxic culture. Durkin should be next!!!! I will say though this type of behavior is very common in college football. Heck, we even had some of it here with Wilson. The only reason this is getting attention is because of the player that died - which is completely understandable. 

Maryland head coach Durkin also placed on administrative leave and former IU assistant Matt Canada has been named interim head coach.  Canada has been serving as Maryland's OC.
Didn't they just hire Canada this off-season? Well maybe Urban can hire Durkin again...I hear they are needing a new WR coach.

A popular OSU site (11 Warriors) has an interview with Smith's mother where she (as one would expect) denies her son's guilt. More importantly, they also talked to his ex-wife's mother, who supports her former son-in-law's version of events and casts doubt on her daughter's story. Both claim that she told them multiple times she would "take Zach down and take Urban Meyer down with him."

None of that is dispositive, of course. You'd expect his mother to defend him and mother and daughter could have 1000 issues between them leading to this. However, at a minimum, when the mother of an alleged victim is saying her daughter is lying...that has to give one at least a second of pause, right?

My bottom line on this, and why I haven't posted a word about this whole thing until now, isn't very different than my feelings about some of the OTL stuff in regard to MSU. When you are dealing in these kinds of dynamics...sexuality, families, etc...finding "THE TRUTH" is not as simple as most want it to be. I would think if any group of people would understand this, it's the Michigan State fanbase. McMurphy's story looked awful and maybe it's ultimately mostly or even entirely correct in what it says and what it suggests (two different things, of course). However, much as in the MSU stories, in the fullness of time we start to see other voices, other perspectives and other facts begin to emerge which suggest that maybe it's not quite as cut and dried as it first appeared. My conclusion? Apply rational, reasoned skepticism with regularity and you won't go wrong.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/08/95121/lynn-bruce-zach-smiths-mom-alleges-that-courtney-smith-vowed-to-take-zach-down-and-take-urban-meyer-down-with-him

9 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

That Moore kid just set a school record in his first ever game. That’s ridiculous. And not against some cupcake either. But against a division opponent in NW... he may light the B1G up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Wasn’t NW dead last in passing defense last year?