Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

College football is back!! A fun weekend of exciting games. I don't think the $EC is as good as advertised but it's still early. The Big 12 looks to be bunched at the top with OU, TCU, Baylor, and possibly Texas. B1G looks to be solid with O$U, UM, and possibly UW. Don't think MSU will be as good this year.

I think IU has a shot to hang with MSU at home and Northwestern in Evanston.

So last night after ND lost to Texas 50-47, it seems that some their fan base is feeling threatened by IU's success. They lashed out at IU football fans, and were going on a tirade about how we were not a football school, and how little brother is better than us (which explains why we have the bucket, right?), and talked about their 25-2 record against IU football, which they haven't played since 1991. I guess if they feel they need to use the 25 record to help their cause,n they haven't won a championship since a year after IU basketball did, so their argument is invalid there.

Fact is, IU is becoming a better team. The coaching staff is much better, and our players are getting more of where they need to be. IU may never gain national respect, but we know that soon enough, the team can be a tough Big Ten contender, and Big Ten teams know that they can't sleep on IU. It about costed OSU big time last year. I think that is what ND may be feeling also, is that IU can be taking some of their talent, because the academic standards aren't as stringent as ND's are. When you think about it, soon enough, a player can play for IU, and have every bit as good of a collegiate career as he could at ND, and go to the NFL with success, just like several IU football players have as of late.

Go Hoosiers! Keep calm, and F Purdue!

Not even close to being accurate. Kelly>Wilson, ND recruits on a level IU cannot dream of making a reality. I say that as an IU fan.

. Purdue and IU are the little brother when it comes to football and IU has no evidence of recent or past success to hang their hat on. Purdue, at minimum, had the Tiller era.

Not even close to being accurate. Kelly>Wilson, ND recruits on a level IU cannot dream of making a reality. I say that as an IU fan.

. Purdue and IU are the little brother when it comes to football and IU has no evidence of recent or past success to hang their hat on. Purdue, at minimum, had the Tiller era.

That's what I am saying. ND has always been the elite of the state. They are the #2 most winning team of all time. I am just saying that they had no reason to attack IU fans, but they did. I was just trying to think as to why they would. IU recruits on a local level. ND has alumni from all over the world.

Go Hoosiers! Keep calm, and hate Purdue!

My problem with ND is the sense of elitism and near consistent level of hypocriticalness. Obviously not from everyone or all encompassing, but just from my observations. For example: bragging how good they in football based on their history, yet no championships in nearly 30 years. I hate the "we're a National School" or the "we're above being a Midwest, Big 10 school" attitude.

Further, I can't stand how their fans claim football "independence" and wear it like a badge of honor. Their president comes out and takes a moral high road stating if the NCAA pays players ND will go D-3 like Carnegie Mellon. Yet, the school has sold out to the ACC to keep up revenue wise and is only independent by a mere technicality. Then they go on the invest $500M in their football stadium. They aren't any morally superior than any other top program.

I've heard even of bragging about being a Marianite school looking down on Franciscan, Dominican and Jesuit Catholic schools (I'm Catholic and don't get this).

History is great and has its place in a program's ranking and prestige, but it's not an excuse for claiming elitism today. Especially when your last championship was before many of your fans were born, much less a bulk of your championships coming before the advent of the forward pass.

Finally, apologies to the knowledgable ND fans, the majority are legitimate fans I'm sure, but the fan base does have a lot of front running fans, like the New York Yankees or Dallas Cowboys, who have never even been to South Bend. Probably couldn't point it out on a map.

Ole Miss pulled a UK last night with a major choke job. Alabama is going to run that division then blow out FL/TN in the SEC Championship. Of course, ESPN will hype it up as FL/TN actually having a chance.

The "SEC beating each other up in conference play" is code for "we all get beat up by Alabama".