Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
KB0

For IUFB to go Bowling..

In your opinion, what needs to happen for IUFB to reach another bowl game? For me, there's two main things.

First, the QB play has to be average. That's it. It doesn't have to be fantastic or even good. Just average. With a strong offensive line, a 1000 yard rusher, and a quality crop of receivers the offense is loaded. If Lagow can take care of the ball and hit the open man, it will be enough to put points on the board.

Second, the defensive line has to get pressure on the QB. For once the secondary looks like it may actually be a point of strength. Oliver and Scales are quality LBs and the new coordinator seems to be competent. If the line can consistently get pressure than this could be the best defensive team IU has fielded in some time.

I get strangely optimistic when it comes to Indiana Football. I believe in this team. Making it to back-to-back bowl games for the first time since 90 and 91 would be a massive step forward. Thursday starts the journey and I couldn't be more excited. 

1. Defense, defense, defense with a dash of luck. Gotta close out games better.

2. Lagow being a B1G quality QB.

I like how coach thinks and for the most part, calls the game. I don't feel like we get out coached very often. Our talent is better but still not top notch. We have to outwit some teams.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Don't lose 5 games by one possession. That will help.
But for real:
1) quality QB play. I don't think Lagow needs to throw for 3,000 yards and 28 TDs for it to be considered a quality season. Minimize the mistakes and manage the game, that's what we need.
2) The line and RBs need to live up to the hype. Should definitely see another 1,000 yard rusher, barring injury.
3) The defense needs to get pressure on the QB. Wether it be coverage sacks or a sack off a blitz, the QB needs to see a lot of red in his face this year. We seem to be improved in the secondary, but with no pressure put on the QB, even a marginal QB could pick us apart.
4) Beat one of the big boys. We need a win vs the likes of Nebraska, PSU, OSU, MSU. Just one. It will provide a safety net if we lose one against our weaker opponents.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1. Develop a pass rush. Can't give the opposing QB all the time in the world to throw. Even with an improved secondary an average QB will eventually find an open receiver if given the time.

2. Like everyone has said; Lagow needs to take care of the ball and not force things. But I also think he needs to stay healthy in order for the team to have a good season.

3. The O-line and the RB group will be good so we might have to rely on them to slow down some games and ease some stress for Lagow.

The formula is there from last year:

- Continue the discipline on offense to take care of the ball and aggressiveness for takeaways on defense that allowed us to be the #1 team in the B1G for turnover differential.
- Win the games we are supposed to: FIU, BSU, WFU, UMD, RU and PU. That's six games and we are in a bowl.
- Bend but don't brake on defense. We will give up rush yards, but we need to make sure those long rushes don't go for TDs. Play tight in the redzone.

14 minutes ago, akhosrof said:

The formula is there from last year:

- Continue the discipline on offense to take care of the ball and aggressiveness for takeaways on defense that allowed us to be the #1 team in the B1G for turnover differential.
- Win the games we are supposed to: FIU, BSU, WFU, UMD, RU and PU. That's six games and we are in a bowl.
- Bend but don't brake on defense. We will give up rush yards, but we need to make sure those long rushes don't go for TDs. Play tight in the redzone.

Agreed. The big plays killed us last season, especially when we'd get them in 3rd and 5 or situations like that then give up a 50 yrd run for a touchdown. If we cut that out and do the things you said I think back to back bowl games will happen.

I think its pretty much been covered in that QB and defense are the big question marks... Looking at the schedule, IMO

Should-be-Wins: FIU, Wake, Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland

I assume Losses: OSU, NW, Michigan, PSU, MSU

Toss ups: Ball state, Nebraska

Ball State I think we should win but they always play us tough... It definitely won't be easy

I don't think it's any secret that Slick Rick needs to be consistent. What I saw in spring was sub-optimal, but he's had a ton of time to get familiar with the guys so hopefully that helped. Better than the alternatives, I suppose. He has the weapons, just get it to them. If Simmie learns how to use his hands to possess a football, this offense will be quite lit.

We need to see improvement from the secondary. This will be the year that we see if those guys just needed more experience, or they're simply not good. I'm not convinced either way until a few weeks into the season. I want to believe that we were *just* young. We'll see.

Lastly, I think people are undervaluing one thing that may/may not happen this year. Camion Patrick. Camion is a season-changing player. If he comes back 100%...get your popcorn ready, because, oh my. The ACL injury? It happened the first time he got tackled in that practice. There were about 15 minutes left in said practice. And this was at the point of spring that the defense was largely destroying the offense. So......yeah. Just hope he gets healthy because IUFB will get weird if he does.

5 hours ago, bhaggard89 said:

Don't lose 5 games by one possession. That will help.
But for real:
1) quality QB play. I don't think Lagow needs to throw for 3,000 yards and 28 TDs for it to be considered a quality season. Minimize the mistakes and manage the game, that's what we need.
2) The line and RBs need to live up to the hype. Should definitely see another 1,000 yard rusher, barring injury.
3) The defense needs to get pressure on the QB. Wether it be coverage sacks or a sack off a blitz, the QB needs to see a lot of red in his face this year. We seem to be improved in the secondary, but with no pressure put on the QB, even a marginal QB could pick us apart.
4) Beat one of the big boys. We need a win vs the likes of Nebraska, PSU, OSU, MSU. Just one. It will provide a safety net if we lose one against our weaker opponents.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That might be the hardest one to get. D-line looks to be a point of concern this year, and the pass rush a real concern. I think coverage sacks and blitzes are probably the key.

1)  Since I expect the offense to take a step back, the defense has to take a step forward.  Giving up 37 point a game will be difficult to overcome if the offense isn't as good.  This includes tackling better (and at times last year tackling at all would be an improvement), and not allowing yards after contact.  Coverage can help the defensive line, but only to an extent, given enough time and a QB will find an open receiver; we need a way to generate pressure.  Pressure doesn't have to mean sacks, but getting hits and muddying the packet also help; doesn't have to be just the D-line, could be from blitzes, but we have to generate some pressure.

2)  Running game needs to remain strong to make it easier for the QB.  I don't really like Redding as the primary back, but hopefully he takes a step forward in that regard.

3)  Solid QB play.  He doesn't have to be a star, but he must be able to keep the defense honest and make good decisions with the ball.  Without solid QB play the defense can just stack the box.

I'm wondering if this can be there year where Indiana Football finally finishes off a top-tier Big Ten team. Last year they were close with Ohio State, Michigan, and Iowa. If they are 3-0 heading into the Michigan State game that could be another awesome atmosphere a la Ohio State last season. Just need to find a way to win one of the close ones.

I'm headed to the Big House this year to catch the IU/Michigan game so an IU win there would be a perfect ending.