Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2017) PF/C - Brandon Huffman to North Carolina

Received an IU offer today.  I'll post his AAU stats later.

Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh, NC.  6' 9" 230 lbs.  4 star rating by Scout; 3 star by 247 and Rivals.  AAU team - Team Loaded

http://www.scout.com/player/203075-brandon-huffman

http://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-Huffman-91667

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/4838

Our typical recruiting trends continue. 2017 was supposed to be the home run recruiting class with all the home talent and B1G championship.

In the meantime I suppose we should just continue chasing diamonds in the rough.

Pardon me, I'm just frustrated. Lol. This kid might be good. Who knows.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

22 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Our typical recruiting trends continue. 2017 was supposed to be the home run recruiting class with all the home talent and B1G championship.

In the meantime I suppose we should just continue chasing diamonds in the rough.

Pardon me, I'm just frustrated. Lol. This kid might be good. Who knows.

I believe the frustration is more than acceptable.  You would think after what appears to be three first rounders in six years that we could snag another good big.  I'll be a bit upset if we don't land a serviceable big in 2017.  As we've seen before it could reduce our chances in 2017-2018 greatly. 

As far as Huffman goes, he's out of North Carolina and has some okay offers.  It'll be interesting to see if he ends up taking an OV to IU.

Well Wayne, his stats won't knock your socks off.  He only played in 14 AAU games and stats weren't provided for 2 of them so his sample size is only 12 games.  I made a point to include the minutes he played each game as well has his fouls each game.   A propensity to foul may be why his minutes/game are only 19 when the biggest majority of the kids we've offered average 25-30 min./game.  Found a small narrative on him from June:  http://georgiabasketballblog.com/brandon-huffman-2017-prospect-anchorage-alaska/

Brandon Huffman '17 ( C ) - Team Loaded - NC   2016                  
Date Pts. FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA Reb Assts. TO's  Stls. Blks. Min. PF's
4/15         Did Not Play                  
4/15         Did Not Play                  
4/16         Did Not Play                  
4/17         Did Not Play                  
4/22 13 5 6 0 0 3 4 6 0 0 0 1 20 1
4/23 10 3 4 0 0 4 4 4 0 1 2 3 18 3
4/23 12 6 11 0 0 0 0 11 0 1 1 3 26 2
4/24 9 3 8 0 0 3 4 4 0 1 0 1 22 4
7/7 9 3 4 0 0 3 6 8 1 0 0 1 14 4
7/7         Did Not Play                  
7/7 3 1 1 0 0 1 4 2 0 0 0 0 18 5
7/8 4 2 4 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 1 20 2
7/9         Did Not Play                  
7/20 7 3 5 0 0 1 5 3 1 3 0 4 23 4
7/21 2 1 6 0 0 0 0 12 0 1 0 3 16 3
7/21 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 3 1
7/22         No Game Stats Provided                  
7/23 8 3 7 0 0 2 4 10 1 2 0 0 21 3
7/23         No Game Stats Provided                  
7/24 8 4 5 0 0 0 2 3 0 2 0 2 21 0

Avg 7.1 56%   #DIV/0!   52%   6 0 1 0 2 19 3
# Games 12                          

Can't help but have this nagging feeling that we know we aren't going to land a big fish so we're moving on down the ladder.  And FWIW, I don't profess to know how stars are assigned to prospects but getting a 4 star rating from Scout based strictly on his AAU stats seems overly generous.     NOTE:  I had this typed and sent before Aloha posted mixtapes so maybe I'll change my mind after I look at them.

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Can't help but have this nagging feeling that we know we aren't going to land a big fish so we're moving on down the ladder.  And FWIW, I don't profess to know how stars are assigned to prospects but getting a 4 star rating from Scout based strictly on his AAU stats seems overly generous.     NOTE:  I had this typed and sent before Aloha posted mixtapes so maybe I'll change my mind after I look at them.

I know they're mixtapes but.. he is a bit more mobile than I first thought.  He also is aggressive and plays with a ton of energy.  I'll stick to my previous statement of "If we want to compete we need to land a bigger fish in the post" but he wouldn't be a terrible backup center to MSB (if MSB wants to play of course).

Here is everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, that one might want to know about Brandon Huffman:

Brandon Huffman is gaining attention after leaving Alaska.

Brandon Huffman was a successful and well-known High School Basketball star in West Anchorage, Alaska.  Huffman moved back to the Lower 48 States and chose to attend Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh, North Carolina.  It is not like Huffman is not used to bouncing all across the country, like many military brats, he is accustomed to moving to different cities every few years.  Huffman received even more attention playing alongside Queens native Rawle Atkins.  Huffman is a physically imposing Power Forward with an impressive offer list.

Brandon Huffman:  Basic Facts

Height:  6’9″

Weight:  240 pounds

Hometown:  Anchorage, Alaska (now Raleigh, North Carolina)

High School:  Word of God Christian Academy (stats)

AAU Squad:  Team Loaded (Adidas Uprising)

Position:  Center

Huffman was named to the 2016 Adidas Eurocamp U.S. Select Team that would play in Treviso, Italy.  Unfortunately, there are no sources with an adequate amount of data concerning his playing stats as the sample sizes are far too small.

What the Recruiting Services and Analysts are saying about Brandon Huffman:

“Huffman is long and relishes in becoming a paint protector. He has a high motor, runs the floor with purpose, and challenges

What the Recruiting Services and Analysts are saying about Brandon Huffman:

“Huffman is long and relishes in becoming a paint protector. He has a high motor, runs the floor with purpose, and challenges everything at the rim (with control). Huffman, the son of a military dad, grew up in Alaska, so has gone relatively unnoticed. Huffman has offers from Buffalo and Charlotte, but expect Power 5 schools to get involved and a Top 100 ranking to come his way.”   Jamie Shaw, PhenomHoopReport.

“Huffman is an intriguing prospect.  He has great size and rebounds well.  He also does a great job altering shots on the defensive end.  With WOG’s offense revolving around their guard play, Brandon sees limited touches.  When he did get the ball down low, he was able to finish with powerful dunks.”  Brandon Nelson, PhenomHoopReport.

“With his current size and strength, Huffman is a considerable force in the paint. He’s a rim runner that knows how to position himself in the right spots to get the easy baskets. Huffman makes sure to punish the rim every chance he gets, relentless slamming in dunk after dunk. Defensively, he does extremely well protecting the rim and playing help side, discouraging all offenders who may want to drive to the paint. He also does a good job keeping his arms up and staying away from ticky tack fouls that usually get big men in trouble quick.

There are a few things Huffman will need to improve on, such as, making his shots in the paint and jump-hooks softer. He’ll also need to improve establishing himself and demanding the ball on the block. In today’s game you rarely see a big man who knows how to use good footwork and body control to gain the upper hand an on opponent to put themselves into an easy position to score. Most of the time Forwards are trying to work on guard and shooting skills to stretch the floor, which can be an asset, but at the same time that doesn’t pan out well for everyone. Once Huffman adds sealing his defender and a few post moves to his game, he will evolve into an elite, more dominant Power Forward in his class.

Over all, not only is Huffman one to watch, but he’s fun to watch. It’s not often you see a kid who literally tries to rip the rim down every chance he gets. While he has things to work on, he’s proven that he’s a student of the game and is willing to learn and absorb whatever he’s being taught.”  – RamProspects.com

“Plays big in the post with solid moves and stays active on the offensive glass. He’d make a wonderful catch and make more of an impact at a school from the Atlantic 10, Colonial, Sun Belt or Conference USA.”  Blue Star Media, Christopher Lawlor.

For the sad, pathetic star fetishists who only care about star ratings and consider them the end all, be all…

img_575b445bec3c4.png

One can imagine the reaction from the fetishists… “Oh no, he’s no good!!!  He’s a scrub.  Rivals and ESPN don’t know who he is!  Why are we offering this guy?”

Ignore the star fetishists.  They do not know what they are talking about and still use the phrase “coach ’em up”.

The Recruiting Horserace for Brandon Huffman

Brandon Huffman has offers from the following schools:

• Washington State
  • Georgia
  • USC
  • Rutgers
  • New Mexico
  • Charlotte
  • VCU
  • South Carolina
  • Baylor
  • Ole Miss
  • Kansas State
  • Tennessee
  • Rhode Island
  • Utah State
  • Xavier
  • Memphis

Huffman commented on his recruitment process letting media members know that he was not going to rush into any decision.

“I might take a few unofficial visits this month close to me… After July I definitely will look at more visits. My high school coach, he’s really big on process. I think I’ll probably take all my visits so I see what all there is to offer and I don’t jump the gun or anything.”

As for what Huffman is looking for in a post-secondary educational experience as a student-athlete:

“I’m just looking for somewhere I’m comfortable with a location that I like.  Somewhere I can play with real good guards and in a system that works for me and where I can get a good degree.”

Huffman commented on his game as well…

“I’m trying to get my feet better and better hands.  I want to be more thorough with my game. I don’t want to be too one-dimensional. I like my motor. I play with a high motor and work hard on the court and that opens doors for me.”

Huffman does not to be leaning in any direction at the moment and he certainly is going to take advantage of his five official visits and take regional unofficial visits as well.  It is possible that Georgia gets an unofficial visit from Huffman considering that Raleigh is only five and a half hours away from Athens.

When the race narrows, then the handicapping may begin, but it is currently too difficult to call as Huffman is just collecting offers.

Strengths:

• Energy Level:  Huffman plays with an energy level that nobody else could come close to matching.  He’s the sort of guy that Georgia partisans would not want to see in a Florida uniform.  His energy and passion are positive and infectious.
  • Rebounding Position:  Typically, Huffman gets himself into good rebounding position in anticipation of a miss.  He relied on his wide frame a bit too much though in Alaska, he seems to box out more now.
  • Low Post Moves:  He’s got a few and he likes to make use of the glass.  Hook shot, turnaround jumper, baseline step, working the defender in with the back-to-the-basket dribble and more.  More than just a dunker.
  • Physicality:  Definitely not shy about playing physical.  He likes the scrums in the restricted arc and finishing off the possession on both ends.
  • Strength:  He’s a strong big man that is not going to be pushed around.  Always finishes through contact.
  • Quickness:  He’s very quick inside the perimeter.  He does not possess great speed, but he is simply faster in his movements in the low block.
  • Plays his size:  He plays like a 6’9″ 240 pound man.  Does not shrink down.
  • Explosiveness:  He’s as explosive as Chris Barnes was prior to his knee injury against Tennessee.  Georgia has not had a big with this sort of explosiveness.
  • Communicator:  He is always communicating with his teammates.  Very good trait to have especially on defense.

Weaknesses:

• No High Post game:  None, at least that has been recorded.  He is only seen on the High Post when he is setting up an elevator screen and roll.
  • Mid-Range game:  It is a complete unknown.  He may have one, but he sure does not take any mid-range shots.
  • Ball handling:  Beyond a few power dribbles in low post, not much else.
  • Passing:  How does he handle a double team?

Brandon Huffman lacks the versatility to be called a Power Forward.  A Power Forward is capable of playing the High and Low Posts, Huffman is not able to do so or at least has not shown it.  Huffman is a high energy Center and whether Huffman is content to live in the low post and not expand his skill set is an open question.  Huffman is fearless and fun to watch.

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Hopefully this offer was just a back up plan to a back up plan. 

Well shoot...that depends on how good Brandon Huffman is!

Is he Bawa, or is he Yante Maten? CTC outsmarts himself now and then, but he regularly identifies players with extremely high ceilings.

I don't know if this is an alarming offer. Crean throws out scholarship offers like it's candy in at a parade. Plus this kid is FAR from a Jeremiah April project. He seems like a little less athletic HMP. Needs a lot of work on offensive end, can't dunk on everyone in the B1G

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Ehh. I'm not thrilled. Stiff lower legs. Lack of fast twitch. Not the best hands. Will be owned by more athletic guys.

I DO like his energy and willingness to shot from the post.

Doesn't do anything for me as a prospect at the 5. At the 4, it's more palatable. I suppose when we think of Malik Williams and Jaren Jackson at the 4 it's still hard to get too excited.

Wait and see approach here. Ugh.

Hey all; I'm not saying that Hufman can or can't be a big get; I haven't seen him play. BUT, we all pretty much agree that if Gak and Bamba both go Duke (fairly likely) and Richards goes UK, we still need a big or two for '17. I'm trusting that CTC and Chuck can tell when a kid has got what it takes.

ALSO:From a 247 article. Doesn't sound like a "backup plan" guy to me. Sounds like a player who's being noticed by the big boys:

"The Hoosiers join a crowded list of offers for the 6-foot-9, 230-pound forward. Baylor, Connecticut, Georgia, LSU, New Mexico, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Seton Hall, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, VCU and others have offered Huffman, and North Carolina has also been involved. "

It's just so hard to really judge these prospects from mixtapes and AAU stats especially Huffman since he played a limited number of AAU games and minutes this summer.  Stuhoo's very detailed post was really informative and it's encouraging that some quality D1 programs are giving him a look.  I didn't watch the mixtapes in full but my observations were that he showed good energy, had a decent short turnaround jump shot, always seemed to be looking for the ball.  On the other hand, it also looked to me like he was clearly the tallest player on the court which made his dunking and rebounding that much easier and made for more highlights.  No idea if he can actually handle the ball off a dribble.  I can't see him as Zeller, VonLeh or Bryant and I'm lukewarm on him at this point as a PF.  Concerning to me that we're just now throwing an offer on the table and why.  As I mentioned in an earlier post I get the feeling that we're having to move on from Plans A & B to Plan C and that makes me very uncomfortable.

If DD turns out to be a stud and we get another solid big this could be a nice piece of the puzzle. I'm just not convinced he could contribute significant minutes as a freshman. If TB leaves, even more so if OG joins him, we'll need solid replacements...

Until I see or hear something different that's my stance.

The article summed up he is a strong inside big still coming together offensively. He is friends with Josh Newkirk and they have been working out together while Josh is home at Word of God. His coach said he's very excited about the offer and interest from Indiana.

After reading that, I would say he's the big IU could be in best position to get for the 2017 class.

The article summed up he is a strong inside big still coming together offensively. He is friends with Josh Newkirk and they have been working out together while Josh is home at Word of God. His coach said he's very excited about the offer and interest from Indiana.

After reading that, I would say he's the big IU could be in best position to get for the 2017 class.

I would be okay with this. High motor bigs with that athleticism are always welcome in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners