Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

indianato

The koolade is wearing off.

23 minutes ago, indianato said:

Was listening to the peegs podcast today and was pretty disappointed to hear Matt Weaver say that there was very little separation between Lagow and Diamont. He also said he expected Diamont to play some this year.

Sent from my LG-H810 using BtownBanners mobile app

Well, don't automatically go negative on that. Seems like the BTN guys had some good words for Diamont's progress. One noted that Diamont's arm strength shows some real improvement. I think that Lagow has the better arm, but I seem to recall that he's not putting it on target. Overall, I'd love to hear that we had a QB that was just blowing the competition away, but you dance with what you have at the moment. OTOH, I've seens some good comments about King also.

True but the BTN guys are gonna be a little more positive and less realistic. Weaver was a student manager for the football team and around the team a lot more than the traveling road show clowns from BTN. I guess I was just hoping for a little bit more from Lagow.

15 minutes ago, indianato said:

True but the BTN guys are gonna be a little more positive and less realistic. Weaver was a student manager for the football team and around the team a lot more than the traveling road show clowns from BTN. I guess I was just hoping for a little bit more from Lagow.

Too a degree. But my point was, did Matt Weaver frame it as if there was no separation and they were not up to snuff? I agree though, I'd like to hear one guy was just head and shoulders above the rest.

Heard from a guy on Fort Wayne radio today who watched IU practice. Said defense looks improved. Lots of RB talent. Said Lagow was off that day badly. Inaccurate, wobbly deep balls. Lots of other problems. Prefaced it by saying it was just 1 day and may be a fluke but had cause for concern. Said based on the little he saw, he favored Zander.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Was listening to the peegs podcast today and was pretty disappointed to hear Matt Weaver say that there was very little separation between Lagow and Diamont. He also said he expected Diamont to play some this year.

The kool aid is wearing off? After a week of fall practice?

I honestly don't know what people truly hope to hear out of practices. If the offense is on fire, they have a panic attack about the defense and the season is over. If the defense dominates, the offense has regressed, and the season is over.

The defense should be making the offense look bad. They know the plays.

Heard from a guy on Fort Wayne radio today who watched IU practice. Said defense looks improved. Lots of RB talent. Said Lagow was off that day badly. Inaccurate, wobbly deep balls. Lots of other problems. Prefaced it by saying it was just 1 day and may be a fluke but had cause for concern. Said based on the little he saw, he favored Zander.

Lagow looked really solid in the spring game. Deep balls and nice touch. I think Wilson is really pushing him on consistency.

Lagow looked really solid in the spring game. Deep balls and nice touch. I think Wilson is really pushing him on consistency.

When he prefaced it, he did allude to the good Spring game. Just said he looked bad that day and that Zander looked better. I think we see them both this season unless one earns it on the field.

I am hoping for Lagow to be the man. Or that Zander has learned to throw the ball.

The kool aid is wearing off? After a week of fall practice?

I honestly don't know what people truly hope to hear out of practices. If the offense is on fire, they have a panic attack about the defense and the season is over. If the defense dominates, the offense has regressed, and the season is over.

The defense should be making the offense look bad. They know the plays.

I'm not blowing up wilson and the team. Not shredding my season tickets. I was just hoping that the #1 juco pocket passer would be a little more polished and be able to pull away from Diamont. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not blowing up wilson and the team. Not shredding my season tickets. I was just hoping that the #1 juco pocket passer would be a little more polished and be able to pull away from Diamont. That's all I'm saying.

For what it's worth I've heard Lagow hasn't been very impressive at all.

I kept saying Zander wasn't going down without a fight. This is the year (22) Zander should be physically mature and his arm strength is what it will be. It is unfair to judge his throwing ability based off of the last two years, which should have been developmental years without seeing the field.

I also think a lot of Hoosiers are underestimating the advantage Zander has of knowing the playbook for two years, then compound that by how smart of a kid Zander is. Not to mention the amount of reps Zander has gotten with the first team and the chemistry developed with the receivers. CKW's offense requires a lot of on the fly thinking due to the audibles. If Lagow is having trouble with that, then the rest of his rhythm will be off (footwork, accuracy, spiral tightness, it's all connected).

I have a feeling Lagow will get better as he becomes more familiar with the playbook. His ceiling that we saw in the spring game is too high for us not to give him the reps with the ones and every chance to win the job.

With that said, we have a huge benefit of having all our out of conference games at the beginning of the schedule. Hypothetically, we could have ugly games for each of the first three games and come out 3-0. SEC goes into conference play week 2. It's a good chance for Lagow to get game experience and tune up the offense for Michigan Stare in October. If Lagow is bad in those first three games, we know what we have in Zander, and can adjust our game plan around that. Not ideal, but hopefully Zander's added arm strength and another year of experience can yield different results.

Zander is a tough little sh!t. I'm hopeful they can get him over 165 pounds.

We're gonna have to be gritty underdogs to win some games, and I love his attitude. It's not as important as having a technically sound QB, but that attitude shouldn't be underrated.

If Zander is our QB, we will not win 6 games.  He is a novelty.  Can't throw the ball downfield, which means teams can stack safeties.  He is okay as a relief pitcher when teams don't prepare for him, but when they do?   He's a bad option. And shame on the coaching staff.  Sudfeld was a senior a year ago, and that was no secret.  To go into this season even discussing Zander as our #1 QB is embarrassing.  He IS tough.  He IS fast.  But we had one of those for 4 years under Cam Cameron, never went to a bowl game with him; and he COULD throw the ball.   There's history here, folks.  Zander is a million miles short of Antwaan Randle El.  It's very easy to think this team is different and Zander will be just fine and the team will overcome his weaknesses.  But.....he's not.   It won't.

To win in the Big Ten, you need quality QB play, which means you need a guy who can throw it; or you need dominance in other areas; and Indiana doesn't have that.  Zander as the #1 QB is a horrible idea and an ominous sign for the football team.   He is what he is....a small, quick QB with very limited skills.  He's not going to be 6'4" with a Big Ten arm.  I hate the idea of him under center.

If Zander is our QB, we will not win 6 games.  He is a novelty.  Can't throw the ball downfield, which means teams can stack safeties.  He is okay as a relief pitcher when teams don't prepare for him, but when they do?   He's a bad option. And shame on the coaching staff.  Sudfeld was a senior a year ago, and that was no secret.  To go into this season even discussing Zander as our #1 QB is embarrassing.  He IS tough.  He IS fast.  But we had one of those for 4 years under Cam Cameron, never went to a bowl game with him; and he COULD throw the ball.   There's history here, folks.  Zander is a million miles short of Antwaan Randle El.  It's very easy to think this team is different and Zander will be just fine and the team will overcome his weaknesses.  But.....he's not.   It won't.

To win in the Big Ten, you need quality QB play, which means you need a guy who can throw it; or you need dominance in other areas; and Indiana doesn't have that.  Zander as the #1 QB is a horrible idea and an ominous sign for the football team.   He is what he is....a small, quick QB with very limited skills.  He's not going to be 6'4" with a Big Ten arm.  I hate the idea of him under center.

Poor teams with Randle El wasn't because of quarterback play. ARE was one of the best in the nation. The defense let us down every week.

Poor comparison.

Sent from my SM-G920P using BtownBanners mobile app

I hope you are wrong. Seems every year I get excited about IU football and get let down. Last year was great even with the bowl loss. Was a lot of fun being excited about football that late into the season. Gotta believe that CKW is turning the ship around.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I asked my ten year old nephew if he is excited about IUFB this year. He said yes of course because he is a big IUFB like his dad, uncle, and granddad. I then asked him if he though they would be good and he shrugged his shoulders. That perfectly frames my fandom of IUFB the past 20 years. I want to be excited, but I have been let down so many times before.