Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mamasa

Leikem as grad transfer at UMKC

Lyndsay Leikem has been added to the roster at the University of Missouri-Kansas City as a grad transfer, the school announced Friday.

The 6-foot-1 forward graduated in three years from Indiana. Before the 2015-16 season, Leikem expressed interest in moving to the Washington D.C. area upon graduation and pursuing a career with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Instead, she will play for head coach Marsha Frese and pursue at master’s in criminal justice at UMKC.

On Friday, Leikem posted on Twitter about her decision to play at UMKC.

“Was not expecting to play my fourth year,” she wrote, “but tremendously blessed to receive this opportunity to pursue my masters!”

Leikem started seven games early in the season for IU in ’15-16, but came off the bench once Jenn Anderson was healthy. For the season, she averaged 1.9 points and 2.2 rebounds per game, helping a Hoosiers team that won its first NCAA tournament game since 1983.

“I couldn’t be more excited to welcome Lyndsay to our UMKC family,” Frese said in a release. “Associate Head Coach Zach Kancher hit a home run bringing Lyndsay to our program. Her experience in the Big Ten and presence in the post will further bolster our front court strength. On top of it all, Lyndsay is also a phenomenal student and fits our women’s basketball culture of ‘Student First’ – to a T.”

Leikem was respected by her IU teammates and was called a “bigger sister” on the team by fellow junior Alexis Gassion. Her continued presence only enhanced team chemistry following an offseason where two other members of the junior class, Larryn Brooks and Taylor Agler, left via transfer.

But the continuation of her playing career in ’16-17 is a surprise. In an article published on IUHoosiers.com in October 2015, Leikem said leaving IU was “a school decision” and that she was giving up basketball.

“It’s something I put a lot of thought into this last year,” Leikem said at the time. “Giving up basketball was a hard choice, but I’ve decided I’m ready for the next things in life.”

In that same article from October, head coach Teri Moren said she was supportive of Leikem’s decision to graduate early.

“Lyndsay was very forthcoming about saying, ‘Hey, coach. This is what I want to do,'” Moren said. “When kids are ready, they’re ready. I think Lyndsay knew she was ready, and I’m really excited about what’s in store for her.”

*** Credit to Hoosier Scoop