Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Troy Williams - Taiwan Beer (Taiwan Super League)

33 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Maybe the "I told you so's were for people who said Troy wouldn't sniff or have a chance at competing for a NBA spot. "I hope u have your passport ready" Troy has exceeded some people expectations. Does it mean he will be a contributor for the grizzlies this year?Probably not but to me it sure makes his decision to leave early look more realistic then it did before

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That's more of what I was referring to lol. Those people still won't attest to the hate they gave a kid who proudly represented our program. All the ones saying he better learn to speak another language, get a passport, be the star of the y league in virginia lol I read plenty of those and kinda why I don't talk on here during the season. Its sad how we talk about KID'S that are teenagers or young adults, but to get back on track, yes I was saying I knew he would make it further than most on here said, which dominating in NBA preseason and playing good in NBA summer league as well as having a good shot to make a roster is a lot more than what many said. He won't have the chance to dominate in the season cause the grizzlies are a veteran team. Baldwin probably won't even get that much run as their 1st round pick, so save the hate when Troy has to sit on the bench. His time will come. 

To be fair I was one of those people. At this point it would be wrong for people to shift the argument to saying, "let's see if he does something in the regular season." Very few including myself thought it would get to that point. Looks like he is. Tip your cap at the kid looking at a realistic chance at living his dream.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I was one of those people as well, like u said tip your cap to him playing at a high level in a pro system and wish him continued success. He has a little more work before I start looking at him as a candidate for one of my fantasy spots. I always try to draft a couple Indiana alums even if it's just riding the pine

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Excerpt from the Memphis Commercial Appeal:  http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2016/10/16/grizzlies-morning-after-troy-williams-keeper/92151102/

Grizzlies Morning After: Is Troy Williams a keeper?

636111792883009384-0519-MASP-ca-team5.jpeg Ronald Tillery , ronald.tillery@commercialappeal.com 12 p.m. CDT October 16, 2016

HOUSTON – Troy Williams, an undrafted 6-7 forward out of Indiana, could be making the strongest case to stay with the Grizzlies even though they already have 15 contracts.

Williams started and played 42 minutes Saturday night when the Griz scored a 134-125 double overtime victory over the Houston Rockets in Toyota Center. As was the case during his four other preseason appearances, Williams didn’t disappoint.

He scored a team-high 23 points on 7-of-15 shooting that included five of the Grizzlies’ 17 3-pointers. He also picked up four steals and a clutch rebound when the Griz began to pull away in the second overtime.

Memphis led 125-123 and finished off the Rockets with a 9-2 run.

Griz coach David Fizdale used a lineup that featured all of the team’s training camp invitees during the extra sessions. Forwards Vince Hunter (12 points, 10 rebounds) and D.J. Stephens (13 points) each had good showings. Williams, though, continues to stand out with his athleticism, ability to score off the dribble and in the open court, and convert 3-pointers.

“All of them have done something that we like. But, obviously, from a productivity standpoint, Troy has really done some good things. D.J. has done some good things,” Fizdale said, acknowledging that the Griz roster might not be set. “That’s why (Griz general manager) Chris Wallace gets paid the big bucks. I’ll take a step back. We’ll talk about it. Who knows?”

Albers on Troy -

Troy Williams is absolutely balling out in the NBA Preseason

It’s the NBA preseason, I get it. Pointless to most. But not to fringe players trying to make the team, like former Indiana forward Troy Williams.

Williams went undrafted, played in the Summer League with the Phoenix Suns, then turned down more money from the Oklahoma City Thunder and signed a deal with the Memphis Grizzlies that guaranteed him $150K.

But the way he’s been playing lately, that number will be much higher. If Williams makes the Grizzlies’ 15-man roster, he will make $543K this season.

“I just got off the phone with his agent,” said Boo Williams, Troy’s uncle and AAU giant. “Troy might be playing better than any rookie in the league right now. He looks good. He’s starting right now, but when Chandler Parsons comes back that’ll change, they have too much invested in him.”

Will he make the team?

“We’ve got one more game left,” Boo Williams said. “When I find out, I’ll let you know.”

Williams absolutely balled out against the Houston Rockets on Saturday night, going for 23 points in 41 minutes of a double-overtime win. Williams was 7-of-15 from the field, but get this — he made five 3-pointers on 11 attempts, including some highly contested ones late in the game. A little prospective on that — Williams made a total of 38 3-pointers in three seasons and 99 games at Indiana. And that was with the college 3-point line. If he can consistently make 3s in the NBA, he could have a nice long career in the league.

Williams’ full stat line: 23 points, 7-15 FG, 5-11 3s, 4-5 FT, 4 rebounds, 4 steals, 1 assist, 3 turnovers, 1 block, +19 (Note: At least 2 of those steals came against Houston’s regulars, including James Harden.)

Here’s a video look at the night Williams had. I thought he was wrong for leaving early. Looks like I may have been the one that was wrong.

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Final preseason game for Troy and the Grizzlies last night and they beat the Timbervolves 101-94.  Troy started once again and logged a total of 19 minutes.   10 pts on 2-2 FG's; 1-1 on 3's; 5-6 FT's; 6 reb; 1 asst; 2 stls; 1 TO; team was +22 while he was on the court.

Regular season starts on the 25th; rosters have to be finalized on the 24th.  Troy has certainly made a very strong case for making that final roster but now it's just wait and see.

Yogi's final preseason game is tonight against the Knicks.

That is a FANTASTIC line for 19 minutes. Double it for a full starter minutes average of 20 pts on 4-4 FGs and 10-12 FTs, 12 rebs, 2 asst, 4 steals, 2 TOs.

More importantly, looks like their coach used ten guys, and neither Carter nor Daniels were one of the ten.

I think he's on the roster. If he's not, he will be on some NBA team's opening day roster.

Grizzlies beat writers' final roster predictions:

OK, projection time: Who will be on the final 15-man roster for the Memphis Grizzlies?

Siskin- Marc Gasol, Mike Conley, Tony Allen, Chandler Parsons, JaMychal Green, Zach Randolph, Wade Baldwin IV, Deyonta Davis, Troy Daniels, James Ennis, Brandon Wright, Jarrell Martin, Vince Carter, Troy Williams, Andrew Harrison.

So long Jordan Adams. Stephens, Selden, Hunter all go play in Iowa with the Energy.

Hubbard Jr.- Well, Grizzlies fans might disagree but here goes…You have your core players in Conley, Gasol, Randolph, and Allen. You have your wing in Parsons with the starting five. Then you have JaMychal Green and D.J. Stephens. You have your bench players in Wright, Baldwin, Davis, Jarell Martin, Troy Williams, Troy Daniels, Vince Carter, and the last player will be James Ennis. Goodbye to Jordan Adams and Andrew Harrison.

Lucas- Conley, Baldwin, Harrison, Allen, Daniels, Carter, Adams, Parsons, Ennis, Randolph, Gasol, Green, Martin, Wright, Davis. No Stephens, no Williams.

Conner- Right now, I still don't see any changes. I think the fifteen contracts that they've got will be the ones that they take into the start of the season (Conley, Parsons, Gasol, Randolph, Allen, Carter, Daniels, Ennis, Baldwin, Adams, Davis, Martin, Green, Harrison, Wright). If I had to go out on a limb with a roster move hot take, though, I'd guess they ditch Adams in order to keep Williams.

Yeung- Conley, Parsons, Gasol, Z-Bo, Wright, Allen, Carter, Daniels, Ennis, Baldwin, Deyonta, Jarell, JaMychal, Harrison, Troy Williams. See ya Jordan Adams and D.J. Stephens. Oh, and Ryan Hollins on call.

Mullinax- I think there is a clear what they should do and what they will do here. Fourteen of the fifteen names are the same regardless- Conley, Baldwin, Harrison, Allen, Daniels, Carter, Parsons, Ennis, Green, Randolph, Martin, Gasol, Wright, Davis. Those guys should be locks- Carter bring a valuable veteran presence to an inexperienced bench, plus he could be a valuable trade piece. Harrison has too much size and capability to play any wing position to lose that versatility.

What they should do with spot #15? Give it to Troy Williams. Send him to Iowa to get game reps. Ship him to and from Iowa, keep him around and develop him, seeing as how Vince Carter is likely gone after this season. That would mean parting ways with Jordan Adams, but he will almost certainly never be again what he was even in flashes for the Grizzlies. Who knows what Williams will be as a finished product, but his ceiling today is higher than Adams is.

Now, will they do this? Probably not. I see Memphis keeping the fifteen contracts they have and hoping Adams can get healthy for a post All-Star run. But they have to decide on next season by October 31st, as our Matt Hrdlicka pointed out on Twitter, so time may not be on Adams’ side. If he can’t play this year, maybe this is indeed the time they look in to ways to parting with the contract. But they would really have to love Williams or Stephens to deal with an Adams release.

Perhaps they do. Williams is especially tantalizing. Another year, another end-of-the-bench bit of drama in Memphis.

A couple questions here, I apologize if the answers are buried in the thread somewhere.

1. If the Grizzlies do not keep him on their 15 man roster and choose to send him to the D league, can a different team pick him up and add them to their NBA roster? Or does he have to play in the D league until the Griz call him up?

2. If he makes the team, does he sign a new contract? What would that contract look like? I assume rookie minimum, but how much $ is that and for how many years?

I am really excited about proud of how Troy has performed. Hopefully he has a long NBA career and can take care of his family. 

Since they play different positions, not sure of any impact this has on Troy other than more bodies competing for roster slots but the Grizzlies have signed Matt Costello (MSU) and Kellen Dunham (Butler) and this puts the Grizzlies roster at 20.  Cuts have to be made before the season starts next Tuesday.

And then a few minutes later I found this:    (Grizzlies) Waived G Chris Crawford and F Vince Hunter.  Signed C Matt Costello and G Kellen Dunham.

5 hours ago, Beachfront Property said:

A couple questions here, I apologize if the answers are buried in the thread somewhere.

1. If the Grizzlies do not keep him on their 15 man roster and choose to send him to the D league, can a different team pick him up and add them to their NBA roster? Or does he have to play in the D league until the Griz call him up?

2. If he makes the team, does he sign a new contract? What would that contract look like? I assume rookie minimum, but how much $ is that and for how many years?

I am really excited about proud of how Troy has performed. Hopefully he has a long NBA career and can take care of his family. 

99% sure that if the Grizz send him down to their D-League affiliate, essentially any NBA team can then sign him but they have to put him on their NBA roster. The Grizz own his D-League rights. So, he's not a D-League free agent, but really is still an NBA free agent. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Also pretty sure if he makes roster, league minimum is slightly more than a cool half million.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Correct, Per Albers article

If Williams makes the Grizzlies’ 15-man roster, he will make $543K this season.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Since they play different positions, not sure of any impact this has on Troy other than more bodies competing for roster slots but the Grizzlies have signed Matt Costello (MSU) and Kellen Dunham (Butler) and this puts the Grizzlies roster at 20.  Cuts have to be made before the season starts next Tuesday.

And then a few minutes later I found this:    (Grizzlies) Waived G Chris Crawford and F Vince Hunter.  Signed C Matt Costello and G Kellen Dunham.

Costello and Dunham were likely singed to play for the Grizzles D-league team. 

Troy - I sincerely apologize to you.  I'm one that suggested you have your passport ready because I could not fathom you'd ever make an NBA roster.  Congratulations and hope you have lots of success in a very long NBA career.

In six preseason games for the Grizzlies, Williams averaged 13.2 points, four rebounds and 1.7 steals in 25.4 minutes per game. He shot 52.1 percent from the field and 42.1 percent from behind the 3-point line.

After playing with Phoenix in the NBA Summer League, Williams signed a guaranteed deal for $150,000 with Memphis to come to training camp. Entering camp, Williams was expected to end up with the D-League affiliate for Memphis, the Iowa Energy.