Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

Random IUBB Recruiting

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

He was told there would be no scholarship offer today but he will be evaluated all of July and maybe one will be extended then if he plays well. The same with Eric Hunter also. 

35 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Nope. That's not the primary reason why it's such good news.

The best part? It gives a clear impression that an IU offer is something to be coveted, and that if you get one, you're special. Want this dynamic to be further magnified as our roster quality improves.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade and I'm all in for Stu's rationale that an IU offer is something to be coveted.  But, does it suggest to a target that I'm really waiting on Ivan Renko and if Ivan goes elsewhere I'll give you his offer?  How does a coach overcome that perception in the recruit's mind?

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm not trying to rain on the parade and I'm all in for Stu's rationale that an IU offer is something to be coveted.  But, does it suggest to a target that I'm really waiting on Ivan Renko and if Ivan goes elsewhere I'll give you his offer?  How does a coach overcome that perception in the recruit's mind?

It's not perception, it's reality.  If IU can get to a position of power, then we don't have to sugar coat it.  

You all saw the way Jordan Tucker jumped at the late Duke offer after Kevin Knox chose Kentucky over Duke.  It is definitely a dangerous game to play, and not really one you can swing unless you can count on having talent there.  

22 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I don't have a problem if it does (that is, for if we're waiting on a real player like Romeo, not an imaginary one like Ivan), as long as the lesser recruit isn't mocking us for us ridiculously thinking we have a chance with the high-level recruit when we really don't. And, it's not like we don't have plenty of offers out there; we do. In-state for '18 I believe we already have offers out to Romeo Langford, Robert Phinisee, and Damezi Anderson, along with 'next state over' offers to J Hunter, Johns, Bazley, etc. Not to mention '19 offers to Keion and Jackson-Davis in-state (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few).

But, when we get a chance to not plaster the country with offers, or offer way too early to a 'maybe we want him' recruit at the expense of a better one, we do ourselves a disservice. 

WHICH NEW COACH NEEDS TO PRODUCE RIGHT AWAY ON RECRUITING TRAIL?

Fass2xqltvbqnkqbavx6
Archie Miller
AP

BOSSI: This one is easy. Chris Holtmann at Ohio State. Buckeyes athletic director Gene Smith basically said straight up Thad Matta was being let go for recruiting failures. If that doesn't put the pressure on a new guy to produce, I don't know what will. The Buckeyes already lost early commitments from in-state high major prospects Darius Bazley and Justin Ahrens, so it's on Holtmann to make sure to lock up current commit Dane Goodwin, another local ranked in the Rivals150. Then he can chase guys like Bazley and Ahrens again and spread out from there.

EVANS: Archie Miller took his time to take the leap and the patience paid off by taking over at Indiana this spring. At the time, he didn’t know that he would lose OG Anunoby, Thomas Bryant and James Blackmon to the NBA Draft, which now puts further emphasis on the 2018 recruiting class. IU fans have clamored for the best talent to remain in the state, an issue of the prior staff’s in Bloomington. Throwing more gas on the fire is that the state boasts potentially the best wing scorer in Romeo Langford. The pressure is already on Miller and his staff to hit a home run during their first full recruiting cycle at Indiana.

PEEK: There are a lot of high expectations for Brad Underwood to come in at Illinois and turn the program around. It's been seven years since Illinois posted a winning record in Big Ten play and there are a lot of people hoping the former Oklahoma State coach will be the one to get Illinois consistently competitive. Most recently, the Illini lost out on five-star Jeremiah Tilmon when he flipped to Missouri, but it appears Underwood is already starting to make some moves in the 2018 class. Visiting campus this week will be Ayo Dosunmu, who is making a case for five-star status after a strong spring and it would be a huge start for Underwood and his staff if they could land Dosunmu.

Absolutely nothing to do with Indiana (yet), but I thought this was a good enough thread to put it in.

Shammond Williams resigned from his assistant job at Western Kentucky. He is the godfather of McD All American center Mitchell Robinson and a big part of why Robinson signed at WKU (along with $tansbury).

Jeff Goodman tweeted this: 

I have no idea if he would get released from an NLI or if Archie would want to get involved with the baggage that a $tainsbury recruit might bring. Thought I'd share it regardless because it could potentially be the last opportunity to add an impact big next year. And it's an interesting story. 

Absolutely nothing to do with Indiana (yet), but I thought this was a good enough thread to put it in.
Shammond Williams resigned from his assistant job at Western Kentucky. He is the godfather of McD All American center Mitchell Robinson and a big part of why Robinson signed at WKU (along with $tansbury).
Jeff Goodman tweeted this: 
[/url]  
I have no idea if he would get released from an NLI or if Archie would want to get involved with the baggage that a $tainsbury recruit might bring. Thought I'd share it regardless because it could potentially be the last opportunity to add an impact big next year. And it's an interesting story. 

He enrolled in classes at western Kentucky today according to goodman

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Fun little game. Pick your dream 4 man class then Pick 1 from each category.

1). Garland, Romeo, Moses Brown, Keldon Johnson, Dort
2.) Carey, David Duke, Jerome Hunter, Ayala
3.) Damezi Anderson, Phinisee, Forrester
4.) Aaron Henry, Hinton, Eric Hunter.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Well... dream set of four is easy: Romeo, Moses, Garland, Keldon, to go with Race.
One from each category? Romeo, Jerome, Damezi, Hinton.
Caveat: neither of the the above two scenarios will happen :)