Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Gardening Thread

I thought we had one of these going, but guess not.  Anyone else love to garden?  My new house has 2 large gardens with numerous container plants.  I have approximately 30 fruit trees (apple, pear, peach and cherry), as well as blackberry, raspberry, grapes, and gooseberry bushes. I've recently found some wild asparagus and wild rhubarb growing around.  This year, I've got: potatoes, radishes, carrots, asparagus, onions, green onions, kohlrabi, green beans, pole beans, purple beans, 24 tomato plants (all heirloom, 6 different colors, 14 different types), snow peas, snap peas, jalapenos, yummy peppers, bell peppers, romaine, bibb lettuce, corn, zucchini, cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, watermelon, yellow squash, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, spinach, spaghetti squash, artichoke, and all my herbs (basil, dill, cilantro, oregano, and Mexican oregano). I've already gotten enough cherries to have made 2 pies and freeze 8 cups, plus what I got today!

ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1465767076.59

We started our first garden this year. A late start, about 3 weeks ago. A couple 3'x7' boxes into the our sloped yard. Corn, pumpkin, carrots, tomato, green onion, and cucumber. The other has strawberry, habanero, lettuce, jalapeno, cerano pepper, and something else. Its really my wife's pet more than mine but there is something to be said about being able to nurture something from a seed to being edible.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We started our first garden this year. A late start, about 3 weeks ago. A couple 3'x7' boxes into the our sloped yard. Corn, pumpkin, carrots, tomato, green onion, and cucumber. The other has strawberry, habanero, lettuce, jalapeno, cerano pepper, and something else. Its really my wife's pet more than mine but there is something to be said about being able to nurture something from a seed to being edible.

Thoroughly agree about the seed to table nurturing- I find it amazing that 1 plant makes all these seeds which can be used again and again. It's really cool to need a pepper and cilantro, then just walk outside

8 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Doubt I will be able to do much this year, but we are closing on our house July 1st and want to do a small garden. Will mostly be tomatoes, various peppers, zucchini, and a few other things.

Really excited :)

Ah, nothing like moving mid-summer with the July humidity!  If you can find yummy peppers, they have a really high sugar content, so they're great for caramelizing (fajitas!).  I also got luck and found some cherry bomb peppers to be able to stuff them!

How are your brussel sprouts doing? First time I have tried them and I am not having much luck. Everything else is doing good.

Sweet corn, green peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, lettuce, carrots and asparagus.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

My sprouts are ok but pretty early to tell. They're one of the first transplants I do (never have gotten them to grow from seed). I make sure to use a time release fertilizer like 14-14-14. The plants get pretty tall, and use about 1.5" water weekly. They take forever to develop, which sucks because they take up so much space. They actually taste better after a light frost!

Right there with you.We have lots of fruit and nut trees.Right now blueberries are in and the gooseberries are right behind.My son and I are messing around with hybrid perssimons and are doing some grafting.Gardening rivals IU basketball as my one true passion but will always be the bridesmaid.

1 hour ago, Woodson1980 said:

Right there with you.We have lots of fruit and nut trees.Right now blueberries are in and the gooseberries are right behind.My son and I are messing around with hybrid perssimons and are doing some grafting.Gardening rivals IU basketball as my one true passion but will always be the bridesmaid.

That's awesome!  Love persimmons!

My garden is unfortunately a little shady, but I have a wide variety of stuff planted:  Broccoli, Cauliflower, Tomatoes, Peppers, Squash, Kale, Lettuce, Radishes, Green Beans, Peas, EggPlant, BrusselSprouts, Kohlrabi.   Pretty much everything but corn.

13407057_10209599746140863_2448699225712976292_n.jpg

On 6/14/2016 at 9:53 AM, jmsgws said:

My garden is unfortunately a little shady, but I have a wide variety of stuff planted:  Broccoli, Cauliflower, Tomatoes, Peppers, Squash, Kale, Lettuce, Radishes, Green Beans, Peas, EggPlant, BrusselSprouts, Kohlrabi.   Pretty much everything but corn.

13407057_10209599746140863_2448699225712976292_n.jpg

Is that a camera tripod with a sprinkler on it?  I'd never thought using that- I have a wooden T in the middle of my 2 gardens with the "fan" type sprinkler. This looks more portable!