Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KB0

2016-17 Minutes and Rotation

Now that all of the pieces have fallen I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread to discuss the rotation, starting lineups, etc. Also, this thread should allow everyone to easily look back and see who wrong they were after the season is over.

My first thought is that 9 players will see essentially all of the minutes: RoJo, JBJ, OG, Hartman, Bryant, Davis, Newkirk, CuJo, and Morgan. Green and McSwain will have to try and practice/play their way into the rotation early in the season. 

Rojo/Josh/Jones/Green

James/Jones/Green/Gelon

OG/James/Collin/Gelon/Freddie

Collin/Davis/OG//Morgan/Freddie (deep, wow)

Byrant/ Davis /OG/ Morgan/Priller

Rojo and OG need 25-30 minutes, bottom line. We can't rely on Thomas to play big minutes since he's always in foul trouble by the 13 minute mark. OG at the four or five would be great for small ball. 

Josh and Jones will probably get around 15 minutes+ each game. Green will probably be the odd man out this year along with Gelon, although i believe Green could come in and provide instant offense and ball movement. Gelon and Priller will be our human cigars this year. Freddie is a mystery. 

We're very deep at the big guy position which is great. We just really need to stay healthy next year, having more depth this year will help that i hope.

Wish we had a pure, experienced PG this year along with a wing who can score off the dribble. Let's see how Rojo and OG develop this summer. 

I think we do have a true experienced PG in Newkirk.  His issue at Pitt was the style was a horrible fit for him, and did not let him do what he does best.  He will be very goo din our system and was credited by many within the program for the improved defense once he was able to start practicing, and there were solid reviews of his leadership as well.  Will he score like Yogi, probably not, but he will be a very solid replacement in allowing us to play the tempo we want, getting to the rim, and getting the shooters and bigs good looks

56 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Going to put this out there, but I'm betting on McSwain playing close to 8 mpg from the start of the season. I don't think Crean would have brought him in with only two years remaining to not put him on the floor.

Totally agree. McSwain will get plenty of minutes.

I think we will see:

RoJo

JBJ

OG

Hartman

Bryant

Now, I can see coach wanting to go small ball because we have a lot of good guard depth too. We have a ton of depth this year, which is very exciting!

We will really miss Yogi, but I love this team's depth, which will be very important in the post season. I felt bad for last year's team because we were without two of our starting guards, with Morgan and Hartman banged up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

16 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Totally agree. McSwain will get plenty of minutes.

I'm just not sold on this, yet. Hopefully he turns out to be a good player, but JuCo to D1 is a big leap. His stats say he isn't a great shooter. If he can play D, finish at the rim, and has a respectable shot, he will likely get time. Maybe this year is more of a transition year and he's a reliable guy in 2017-18.

1 hour ago, KB0 said:

I'm just not sold on this, yet. Hopefully he turns out to be a good player, but JuCo to D1 is a big leap. His stats say he isn't a great shooter. If he can play D, finish at the rim, and has a respectable shot, he will likely get time. Maybe this year is more of a transition year and he's a reliable guy in 2017-18.

Not disagreeing with your assessment of McSwain's ability or that JuCo to D1 isn't a big jump, but I really don't think Crean would have used a scholarship on a guy he didn't plan to use right away

pretty exciting roster next season. Where are we weak? PG? Maybe. Wing with a point getter? Maybe.

Seems like a solid roster makeup for once. Need OG to continue making strides. I love when he shoots the gap for steals like Oladipo was good at.

We are not the most athletic team though. Speed, jumping, etc.

Rojo average. JB the same. TB the same. Hartman sub average, Juwan sub average. OG and Freddie hyper athletes. OG isn't fast though.

Very cool roster. Looking forward to seeing CuJo, DeRon, Devonte, and Newkirk.

I hate that nearly all the borderline B1G NBA players returned. Going to be a tough road.

pretty exciting roster next season. Where are we weak? PG? Maybe. Wing with a point getter? Maybe. Seems like a solid roster makeup for once. Need OG to continue making strides. I love when he shoots the gap for steals like Oladipo was good at.

We are not the most athletic team though. Speed, jumping, etc.

Rojo average. JB the same. TB the same. Hartman sub average, Juwan sub average. OG and Freddie hyper athletes. OG isn't fast though.

Very cool roster. Looking forward to seeing CuJo, DeRon, Devonte, and Newkirk.

I hate that nearly all the borderline B1G NBA players returned. Going to be a tough road.

Newkirk allegedly (pre-injury at least) possesses hyper-mega athleticism.

Not disagreeing with your assessment of McSwain's ability or that JuCo to D1 isn't a big jump, but I really don't think Crean would have used a scholarship on a guy he didn't plan to use right away

Uh... Tim Priller is still on the team... and has played a whopping 40 minutes. That's a total of one game in 2 years. Obviously McSwain isn't Priller but Crean is ok with not playing those on scholarship. He didn't play April either. Hoetzel played about 8 minutes a Gane. Hartman only played like 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

44 minutes ago, X-Hoosier said:

Or JBJ to come off the bench.

I don't see that at the start of the season, but could see it happening later on.  A lot of what we'll get from JBJ this year is just how well his knees hold up and what kind of lateral quickness and explosiveness he'll have.  Modern medicine is wonderful but 3 surgeries surely have to take their toll to a certain extent.

1 hour ago, X-Hoosier said:

Uh... Tim Priller is still on the team... and has played a whopping 40 minutes. That's a total of one game in 2 years. Obviously McSwain isn't Priller but Crean is ok with not playing those on scholarship. He didn't play April either. Hoetzel played about 8 minutes a Gane. Hartman only played like 4.

Which makes sense:

With 13 scholarship players, the last two or three guys on the bench are barely getting any run, unless guys like TB and RoJo are only going to average playing 20 mpg...which they're not.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Which makes sense:

With 13 scholarship players, the last two or three guys on the bench are barely getting any run, unless guys like TB and RoJo are only going to average playing 20 mpg...which they're not.

I agree, everyone can't be a star. However, I would like to see IU/Crean utilize the red-shirt for end of the bench guys that could use it. Gelon seems like he would be a prime candidate this coming year. Wisconsin (*spits*) for instance, has had great success using r/s for their big guys. My thought is, if a guy deserves a scholarship, but isn't gonna contribute- save that year of eligibility and let him develop.

I have no illusions that this will occur under Crean- but I think it would make sense.