Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUsafety

Cutting the Cord

Does anybody use PlayStation Vue for cable TV? They offer a package of channels that include the BigTen Network for $34.99 a month. I would love to save $90 a month and tell Directv to take a hike. This seems like a viable option and the only one I can find that offers the BigTen Network.

Does anybody use PlayStation Vue for cable TV? They offer a package of channels that include the BigTen Network for $34.99 a month. I would love to save $90 a month and tell Directv to take a hike. This seems like a viable option and the only one I can find that offers the BigTen Network.

I do and it works fine. Whatever isn’t on BTN or ESPN is available via Reddit or antenna. Huge cost savings.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 5/14/2016 at 3:41 AM, IUsafety said:

I use PSVue and really like it. They also have add-ons with different programs. During the NFL season, I added the sports package ($10 a month) because it included the NFL RedZone channel. Then just cancelled that ad-on package once the NFL playoffs started. It was a pretty nice setup. I chose PSVue over Sling because Sling didn't have BTN.

Hulu Live isn't too bad. Its got BTN, ESPN, Fox Sports networks. I'll admit that I am curious how the service will handle the NCAA Tournament. I do get some occasional buffering, but the Hulu Live is in its Beta format so I do expect a lot to change. For $45, its ok. I am curious about other services myself, so I will watch this thread.

I have had PSVue for about a year and a half. Zero complaints from my family. My brother has YouTube TV and it works great for him. Not a big fan of Sling TV from Dish. Can’t get the channels I like on the same package. DirecTV didn’t offer DVR with their streaming service the last I checked but does have on demand.

I personally think that PSVue, YouTube TV and Hulu Live are the best. I would recommend looking at the
*channel packages
*how many TVs at one time you can stream on
*DVR
*internet speed recommendations (I live out in the sticks and my speed is about 7 Mbps. We stream on up to 3 TVs at one time and will have some buffering and picture quality issues.)

Take those things into account and decide what is best for you. I have saved almost $1800 since switching.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

34 minutes ago, muckraker said:

That's what I am using at the moment. I like the dvr function, since most of the games are during my work hours. 

Any buffering issues? After reading some information here, I did some checking on YouTube TV and I like what I see! Might at least try the 2 week trial!

Sometimes, but that's because I live out in the sticks and have slow internet. I've tried Playstation Vue and Sling Tv, and both were good. The main difference between the major services is what networks are available. There are some good online sites that compare the different offerings. 

I am following through with the free trial on Youtube TV, but with a 14 year old and a 9 year old, they enjoy content that isn't available on Youtube TV. Still, I am keeping my eye out for the content additions! I will say that the whole hardware "platform" war thing that Google and Amazon have going only hurts the consumer. Let the consumer add the app to whatever device they choose. Sell the content 1st and worry about devices last. The android tv boxes are getting cheaper and better by the day so I just don't see how Amazon or Google can continue to fight an unwinnable and largely unneeded war. Devices aside, I really, really like consumer driven markets...let the people drive the product. It only leads to better things.

Help me out:

My Home: I currently have Direct TV. Do you recommend stopping Direct TV and only using my Firestick? Please help me understand all of this.

My other location: I currently work out of country and use a laptop connected to WIFI. My phone is also only on WIFI. I want to watch TV on my laptop and maybe watch some games on my cellphone.

What do you guys recommend. My Direct TV is friggin' killing me with monthly payments. We do the whole DVR thing which is cool but....for what i pay...i could use some options.

Firestick, Android TV box, Apple TV, Nvidia Shield. Depending on your internet speed, you may want to bump it up (the cost savings from the lack of satellite should cover any increase in price). Buy the box, Hdmi to your TV, connect either wifi or Ethernet to your internet, add the streaming app of your choice (YouTube TV, Hulu live, PlayStation Vue), enjoy your cost savings, call DirecTV to go pound sand.

Hulu Live has a DVR, but I gotta admit that I do like YouTube TV in that area. Plus, YouTube TV is adding more and more stuff. I'd recommend either YouTube TV or Hulu Live.

Hulu Live and YouTube also have multi device support, meaning that as long as you can add the app to your device...you can log in to your account and enjoy your content on your laptop or phone. Hulu allows up to 3 devices going simultaneously (I think) at no additional charge. I think YouTube TV is the same. If you need more than 3 active streams, I think you can buy more lines for $10-$15.

Thanks to you all, I have finally made the switch to YouTube tv. It has all the sports necessities for me and cartoons for the kiddos. Only thing it’s missing is HGTV for the Mrs. it’s going to save me around $100 a month. For those contemplating making the switch, if you sign up for YouTube tv by March 13th, you’re grandfathered in at  $35 a month. If you sign up after, it jumps to $40 (still pretty cheap). 

6 minutes ago, kbhoosiers said:

Thanks to you all, I have finally made the switch to YouTube tv. It has all the sports necessities for me and cartoons for the kiddos. Only thing it’s missing is HGTV for the Mrs. it’s going to save me around $100 a month. For those contemplating making the switch, if you sign up for YouTube tv by March 13th, you’re grandfathered in at  $35 a month. If you sign up after, it jumps to $40 (still pretty cheap). 

Question ... I am pretty open to switching to anything to save as long as my sports channels are available.  So, any IU games, Pacers games, St. Louis Cardinals games, Colts (most of them are on local channels).  Are all of those available on YouTubeTv?