Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

Troy Williams Decision

On 5/15/2016 at 9:10 PM, Walking Boot of Doom said:

If you get housing plus a per diem on top of your $13 - 25k contract, that's really not terrible considering housing is usually around 1/3 of an individual's after-tax expenses. Plus, per diems are not taxed, and more than cover a daily food expenditure. If they get to pocket per diem, like some consultants, that's another few thousand a year.

I think the housing per diem is the team picking up the motel room charge they are staying at during the season while on the road.  Out of season, and at home, I believe they have to use their salary for their own home. 

9 minutes ago, Jafo71 said:

I think the housing per diem is the team picking up the motel room charge they are staying at during the season while on the road.  Out of season, and at home, I believe they have to use their salary for their own home. 

I think you are right. I seem to recall Antoine walker having to stay with a teammate during his d league stint

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

When people are saying Troy shot 75 percent is that just from four shots or is there a larger sample size. 

He was 2 of 3 in the first scrimmage and 1 of 1 in the second.  For all of last season, he was only 35% on 26 of 75 3-point shots which I think is a far better indicator and I attribute hitting 3 of 4 at the Combine to plain old dumb luck. 

While I agree he is not a great 3 point shooter, to diminish the 75% effort for lack of attempts while at the same time bashing him for "he jacks up early threes in transition with no conscience".

4 attempts in two games doesn't sound like jacking up threes with no conscience to me.. And if they are falling for that game then why not jack them up..

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He was 2 of 3 in the first scrimmage and 1 of 1 in the second.  For all of last season, he was only 35% on 26 of 75 3-point shots which I think is a far better indicator and I attribute hitting 3 of 4 at the Combine to plain old dumb luck. 

35% is right around the NBA league average. He's a respectable 3PT shooter

Troy seems to know his likelihood of being drafted is low to nil. Still choosing to go. Bozich and Rabjohns have talked about it.

Best of luck to Troy. I'll be rooting for him. He gets ripped on a little too much. Some of it is self inflicted, so I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Troy seems to know his likelihood of being drafted is low to nil. Still choosing to go. Bozich and Rabjohns have talked about it.

Best of luck to Troy. I'll be rooting for him. He gets ripped on a little too much. Some of it is self inflicted, so I get it.

I think he gets ripped on so much because people expect so much out of him. He has the God given ability but lacks the knowledge or feel for the game. It's impossible to make someone taller or longer but it's possible to become more knowledgeable and develop a feel for the game. He gets ripped on a lot because a lot of IU fans value bball IQ and feel.

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I'd very much like to see him finish his degree as he leaves. Hope he's getting and listening to good advice on that front.

19 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I'd very much like to see him finish his degree as he leaves. Hope he's getting and listening to good advice on that front.

I am pretty sure he is done... I thought he graduated, I saw pictures of him in his Cap & Gown with our other graduates.....

I feel like no part of Troy wants to be back at IU next fall. If he comes back I find it likely that he spends all year playing for himself and trying to impress the NBA scouts. I don't think "team" will ever cross his mind, it'll be "NBA contract" all year. Maybe that would make us a better team, but I find it troublesome. I would just personally rather see an IU team without him next year. 

See I believe the opposite to be true. Troy took a step back, or at least a side step, in his development his junior year from his sophomore year. IMO, many times last year we saw Troy playing to impress NBA scouts and straying away from team ball.

I think the combine process is good for Troy: Keeps him in shape, he plays against top competition, and he gets professional feedback. If Troy comes back, I hope it is because the scouts told him he needs to play better team ball, and that will be motivation for him. Troy needs to focus on being a "3 and D" player to have a successful pro career.

I also believe Troy knows he needs to cut down on the wild play and focus on his defense and outside shot. The question for Troy is whether he stands to see the most improvement in his game coming back to school, or by going pro and either getting minutes in the d-league or improving in a professional practice setting.

If he comes back it will be because he's determined to refine his game to translate better to the pro's. Troy is not a guy who's going to be a top scoring option in the NBA. So the guidance he's receiving from scouts will certainly benefit us if he comes back and tries to apply that.

No doubt in my mind we are a much better team if Troy comes back.

9 hours ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I am pretty sure he is done... I thought he graduated, I saw pictures of him in his Cap & Gown with our other graduates.....

He said in an interview at the combine that he has two more classes plus an internship to complete before he graduates