Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

Troy Williams Decision

The NBA draft combine has almost zero bearing on a team's opinion of a player. How Troy played doesn't matter and won't have any impact on his "decision"

He gone

now this is funny.

Yea, I thought that was pretty good for Troy.

Thought the same thing. I then saw the 4-14 FG/FGA and realized he had one of his 5+ TO games where he "threw the ball in the direction of the rim while facing the sideline" games. He has to be one of the most frustrating players to watch for me. He has a ton of natural ability that may never be met.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That's such a difficult setting, playing with a bunch of guys you've never played with before who are all out to make a specific impression in front of GM's and scouts. 

It's just as difficult a setting for all the others, most of whom out-performed him.

19 minutes ago, Tom White said:

It's just as difficult a setting for all the others, most of whom out-performed him.

In no way was my comment specific to Troy, I never even mentioned him. Clearly it's a difficult situation for all involved, though a lot times these settings favor guards who typically have the ball in their hands and control things. 

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

In no way was my comment specific to Troy, I never even mentioned him. Clearly it's a difficult situation for all involved, though a lot times these settings favor guards who typically have the ball in their hands and control things. 

Troy shot 14 times in 20 minutes. I don't think his issue was not getting the ball. 

That being said you are correct that typically that is the situation. 

Elaborate

The combine is a very useful tool for scouts/GM's,etc. This is the one time they are able to freely watch prospects without flying to another country or fly in potential on the board prospects. Depending who is on their board of course.

If players have bad performances , it may not be the end of the world for them, but it certainly has an impact to a certain degree. During this time, front offices get to interview prospects (most important part tbh) , measurements, workouts, and five on five play.

With Troy's measurements being "normal" and his performance today being less than average, he could be playing himself to a summer league team (on his way to Europe)

Bottom line. Performances do matter to some extent.

Yeah. IU had him at 6'7''. They always use w/ shoes measurements. No one is surprised by this.

Side note. Kay Felder is 5'9''. Wow.

Kay Felder is 5-9. I thought that was known lol. Tyler Ulis weighed in at 149 lbs. That is a huge hit on him though he was 5-10 with shoes with a 6-2 wingspan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

What the box score doesn't tell us is did Troy exhibit an awareness of what his role was to be and where he was to be on the offensive end and what kind of defensive effort he demonstrated.  We know he shot poorly but only had 1 TO so based on multiple tweets that his performance was sub-par, I have to assume that he didn't sparkle with overall basketball IQ.

One day of poor shooting isn't that big of a deal.  The NBA has 3-years worth of shooting stats for Troy from probably every square foot on the court.  Poor shooting isn't that big of a deal unless his missed shots were from double teams or lower the head, drive and throw the ball in the general direction and hope for the best.  In most cases, the latter is nothing more than a TO.  Did he box out or did he get boxed out when rebounding?  What kind of defense did he play; did he get beaten routinely off the drive?  Did he always know where his man was?   This is the IQ part of it.

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Add'l Info