Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
BottomLine

Archie Dees

I go back a long way as an IU fan.  I grew up watching IU play on channel 4 out of Indianapolis and as a result, when the time came, I attended and graduated from IU in 1969.  For me there were two players that I idolized in my youth, Jimmy Rayl and Archie Dees.  From the time I got my first basketball and dad put up a hoop I reenacted over and over again the plays that I had seen my heroes make on TV.  Oh how I wanted to shoot the ball from outside like Jimmy or have unstoppable inside moves like Archie.  I know a lot of you on here are much younger than me and you have no recollection of the days before coach Knight came to Bloomington, but take my word for it that Indiana basketball did not start with Robert Montgomery Knight.  The glorious history of Indiana basketball goes much farther back, even farther back than me.  If you missed seeing Archie Dees play you missed something very special.  He was one of only three players to win Big Ten MVP honors in back to back years.  The other two were Jerry Lucas and Scott May.  That, my friend, is very select company.  Time moves on for all of us but for me a little piece of my childhood died today when I heard the word that Archie had passed.  It makes me want to hit the driveway and put up a few hook shots in memory of the big guy.  As a Hoosier player he was something special.  In some ways he has never been matched.

Beautifully written tribute to one of the greats.