Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IndyHutch

IU Basketball: Who is leaving? Who is staying?

Great job Hutch, and this will really keep people curious this off-season.  I agree with what you said, but Troy is such a wild card.  I can't see him being a first rounder after this year.  He is a very lazy defender who plays on his heels, because there is no way he should be this bad on defense.  Let him go work out with Tony Bennett for a month. I agree with JBJ and Bryant, I see them coming back and making IU a top 20 team.  Wouldn't be complaining seeing this line-up at all:

RoJo, JBJ, OG, Hartman, and Bryant

Then have Newkirk, CuJo, Green, Morgan, and Davis backing them all up.  I'm sure I could be missing someone, but I think that is a very good line-up and bench. 

I thought OG had already declared he was going to stay.  Did I miss that?

Williams going anywhere is a joke.  He'd get absolutely mauled in the NBA right now because he can't shoot, and his upper body can't deal with big "3's."    He's way too inconsistent on both ends; and I swear, every time a kid gets a breath of interest from the NBA, it seems people think he's automatically gone.  I haven't even seen his name on the top 60 in NBA mock drafts.  When you account for the fact that just 60 kids get drafted into the NBA and ~ 16-20 are foreign players; there's just no room for all of the "maybe" players to go.   Williams is a mediocre college player who shows flashes of brilliance and equal flashes of ineptitude.  Inconsistency and poor shooting do not mix well with the NBA.  He'd do well to actually work on his game.

I thought OG had already declared he was going to stay.  Did I miss that?

Williams going anywhere is a joke.  He'd get absolutely mauled in the NBA right now because he can't shoot, and his upper body can't deal with big "3's."    He's way too inconsistent on both ends; and I swear, every time a kid gets a breath of interest from the NBA, it seems people think he's automatically gone.  I haven't even seen his name on the top 60 in NBA mock drafts.  When you account for the fact that just 60 kids get drafted into the NBA and ~ 16-20 are foreign players; there's just no room for all of the "maybe" players to go.   Williams is a mediocre college player who shows flashes of brilliance and equal flashes of ineptitude.  Inconsistency and poor shooting do not mix well with the NBA.  He'd do well to actually work on his game.

I believe most people think Troy is gone not because of how ready he is, but because of the people around him wanting money.

5 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Great job Hutch, and this will really keep people curious this off-season.  I agree with what you said, but Troy is such a wild card.  I can't see him being a first rounder after this year.  He is a very lazy defender who plays on his heels, because there is no way he should be this bad on defense.  Let him go work out with Tony Bennett for a month. I agree with JBJ and Bryant, I see them coming back and making IU a top 20 team.  Wouldn't be complaining seeing this line-up at all:

RoJo, JBJ, OG, Hartman, and Bryant

Then have Newkirk, CuJo, Green, Morgan, and Davis backing them all up.  I'm sure I could be missing someone, but I think that is a very good line-up and bench. 

I also think Hutch was absolutely spot on.  My concern is whether or not JBJ is going to be the same player after a 3rd knee surgery.  I fully expect him back as a starter at the start of the season but wonder if he'll still be starting at the end of the season.  Otherwise, I agree with Jaybob's starting 5.

Pretty much agree with you, Terry.

If Troy is scheduled to graduate this summer, I would say it is likely that he leaves. What is sad is that his NBA stock pretty much stayed the same this year... and that's not good when you're already on the fringe of even being drafted to begin with. I think an off-season of work with shooting, ball-handling, control and defending (especially off of screens) could do wonders for him. If he could improve those aspects of his game and return next year, you could see a First-Team All Big Ten player. And I think he'd be a sure draft pick in 2017. But I think his plan all along has been to leave after this season.

Definitely agree on Bryant. The guy seems like a competitor. It's obvious he really enjoys being a Hoosier. That picture of him and Crean after the UNC game proves that. I could see him coming back with a vengeance next year and tearing up the Big Ten and making another run in the tournament. He knows he has that capability.Then I could see him being a Lottery Pick in 2017 as opposed to a late first rounder in 2016.

I really can't understand why Blackmon would do anything other than return to IU next year.

I'd be shocked if OG left, too. I think he's really going to improve and be a force on the defensive end next year. If Williams leaves, OG is more than capable of filling that role in his own way.

Somewhat surprised you included Priller because that's taboo for many. But I think it's valid. I always hear people say that "no team uses their 13th scholarship player anyway." That may be true, but you'd like to see that spot occupied for the future. Maybe even for a project player that needs a couple of years of seasoning, but could contribute in the rotation by their Junior or Senior years. Having players like that help soften the blow when players leave early for the NBA. You have guys who are familiar with the program. Wisconsin has done a wonderful job of this over the years with guys like Duje Dukan, Jared Berggren, Keaton Nankivil, etc.

I think that if we get the top 4 in the list back, in addition to the others returning and incoming freshman, the Hoosiers are going to be a menace in the Big 10.  Is going to be weird without Yogi running point. 

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

If I'm not mistaken Priller can stay at IU, have his school paid for and not be on the basketball team. Freeing up a basketball scholarship. Am I misunderstanding the 4 year scholarship?

I think you understand it correctly, but that would have to be Tim's choice, and it is hard to imagine that would be his preference.

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think you understand it correctly, but that would have to be Tim's choice, and it is hard to imagine that would be his preference.

I understand what your saying. But he has zero future as a basketball player. Why not get a free degree from IU. Maybe be a manager or something to stay connected to the basketball team. Maybe have a future as a coach or just go get a job with your free Indiana degree.