Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

X-Hoosier

Looking to next season

That boy could use strength and conditioning to get on the court and be effective at the college level.  I could see a situation where his minutes are much like OG last year.  Slowly increasing throughout the season.  I think this hurts, because his game is around the rim at both ends.  

Or similar to Holt. Didn't he arrive late in the summer?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Since joining the Anderson Herald Bulletin, Hutch has published 2 of a 3 part one-on-one articles with CTC.  The first focused on our incoming freshman and the second mostly about how rehab is going with our walking wounded.

http://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/indiana/q-a-with-iu-coach-tom-crean-part/article_fa36bba8-42e5-11e6-889a-2bdebc7621fc.html

http://www.heraldbulletin.com/indianaanderson/q-a-with-iu-coach-tom-crean-part/article_48953976-43bf-11e6-9361-3fa2aed52ca7.html

1 hour ago, maxwell said:

Nice read from Rick Bozich:  

Indiana's Thomas Bryant focused on building a basketball career, not a big splash

"When the scoreboard clock signaled the end of the organized workout and the coaches dispersed, there was Bryant, shirtless, sweat streaming down his shoulders and cheeks.

Bryant wrapped his right arm around Anunoby, his fellow sophomore. Both guys knew what that signaled. Their work was merely beginning, starting with a spirited game of one-on-one.

“Those two guys live in this place,” one member of the IU basketball staff said. “They’re always here. They’ve got the same drive to succeed Victor had.”"

Full Story

This is awesome

Hutch with a nice article in the Anderson Herald-Bulletin on Zach McRoberts.

BLOOMINGTON — Zach McRoberts walked away from the game of basketball after his freshman season at the University of Vermont in the spring of 2015.

He just needed a break. His heart wasn't in it anymore. He just wanted to be an every day college student.

In McRoberts' case though, absence truly did make the heart grow fonder. One year later he is set to walk-on and play basketball for Tom Crean at Indiana University. He just found that he missed the game a lot more than he thought he would.

“I learned a lot from my experience taking that year off, and one of the things I came to understand was how much time I had put into basketball and how much I had worked at it,’’ McRoberts said. “And I missed it. That year off was a good experience for me and gave me some different perspectives about myself. But I just wanted to get back at it, use my abilities and be a part of a team again. It’s a special opportunity to be here and be a part of this team.’’

A two-time state champion at Carmel High School and an Indiana All-Star, the 6-foot-6 forward played in 27 games as a scholarship player his only year at Vermont. He averaged 4.2 points per game including a career-high of 13 points against Hofstra.

On the outside, everything seemed to be going as planned. On the inside though, the younger brother of soon-to-be 10-year NBA player Josh McRoberts simply decided he wanted to enjoy life as a student without the distractions of basketball. He left Vermont, enrolled at Indiana University and joined the School of Arts and Sciences as an Economics major. He was asked if he’d be interested in walking on at IU, but he declined.

And then he started watching games on TV and wishing he was playing again. Watching the NCAA Tournament last spring pushed him over the edge. The passion and the competitive nature returned, and he knew he wanted to play again. He contacted IU assistant coach Tim Buckley and inquired about walking on. Having used last year as his redshirt season, McRoberts can play immediately and will have three seasons of eligibility with the Hoosiers.

Not surprisingly, IU coach Tom Crean welcomed McRoberts with open arms. Crean said the first time he ever met him was when McRoberts came to a workout during final exam week last spring. Crean said the IU staff worked him out a few times, had a few meetings and things progressed very quickly as it was very clear that McRoberts could hold his own.

“I have a lot of respect for where he came from,’’ Crean said. “I know this: The people in Vermont’s league that I know thought he was going to be a very good player in that league. They could see it in the short time he was there. He came out with us and I told him the things I thought he needed to get better at and told him the way he was going to have to work at it, and he has done all of that.

“I’m excited about him. He’s got a great attitude, and he has been tremendous in camp. He has a maturity level about him, and he knows what he doesn’t know. He knows he has to get stronger, he knows he has to get quicker and he knows he has to build the footwork. And he doesn’t have any qualms about what he didn’t do last year. He didn’t play, he didn’t lift but he’s making up for it, and I’m excited to have him.’’

Scott Heady, McRoberts’ high school head coach at Carmel, said he has a great deal of admiration for his former player for the courage he showed when he initially opted to walk away at Vermont.

“He made a decision that I really think most young guys would have just sucked it up and played through it,'' Heady said. "Especially considering the success he had as a player in the past and he had a brother in the NBA, and he still decided not to play. That’s a tough decision. And for somebody to step up and make that decision I just have a lot of admiration for him. He just said he didn’t really want to play at that point, and he followed through with it. He was just a young man who really didn’t know what he wanted to do.’’

Heady said he believes McRoberts will make a positive impact at IU.

“I know it’s a whole different level, but Zach will impact whether it’s in practice, off the court, on the bench, in a game, I mean the kid is just incredible,’’ Heady said. “Just from his work ethic, the enthusiasm he brings every day and he’s a tremendous teammate. What I remember about him the most is that he brought it every day. Whether it was a summer workout, an individual workout or an in-season practice or game, it didn’t matter. With us, I can honestly say his whole approach and demeanor just rubbed off on everybody in the program.’’

Heady said McRoberts has good offensive skills and great instincts around the basketball, but his greatest asset is on the defensive end. Heady said his former player could guard any position in high school and was always matched against the opponents’ best player. McRoberts said he has always been a defense-first player.

“I’ve just always been defensive minded since as long as I can remember,’’ McRoberts said. “And at IU I just want to find a way that I can help this team get better. If that’s defense, that’s great. If they need something else I’ll find a way to be that player, too.’’

Southeast Missouri State will play at IU on December 4th. They had an RPI of 342 last season

http://www.semissourian.com/story/2323929.html

The 3 years prior they were ranked in the low 200's in kenpom. Hopefully they resemble that next year and not a bottom 10 team.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app