Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

X-Hoosier

Looking to next season

I agree that Cujo is not a likely starter and that there's a better chance of DD starting than Cujo.

I like both coming off the bench. Any time you can bring talent like them off the bench, combined with an upperclassman in Newkirk, and a guy like Juwan that does all of the little things, you have everything you need from a bench. I like the idea of Cujo being an instant offense guy. Would be nice if either DD or Juwan could be a threat on the block while TB is out.

I think the biggest void going into the season to me is not having shooters off the bench. After Cujo I think there are guys that can shoot it, but can they be consistent? Also, Collin needs to shoot it better this year.

Personally I'd rather Newkirk, RJ, OG, DD and Bryant as starters. Simply because we should dominate the boards with that. Bring vets in JBJ and Hartman off the bench. Morgan as well. We'd have Jones coming off the bench. There is nothing wrong with coming off the bench but I doubt that's what DD was sold. We aren't Kansas. Bringing top recruit big men isn't much of an option. But maybe this year. I just don't want to see small ball. Crean has fully shown it is garbage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, X-Hoosier said:

Personally I'd rather Newkirk, RJ, OG, DD and Bryant as starters. Simply because we should dominate the boards with that. Bring vets in JBJ and Hartman off the bench. Morgan as well. We'd have Jones coming off the bench. There is nothing wrong with coming off the bench but I doubt that's what DD was sold. We aren't Kansas. Bringing top recruit big men isn't much of an option. But maybe this year. I just don't want to see small ball. Crean has fully shown it is garbage.

The chances of that lineup occurring will be completely dependent on:

JBj's health, and...

How good DeRon Davis looks against Collin and Juwan in practice.

The chances of that lineup occurring will be completely dependent on:

JBj's health, and...

How good DeRon Davis looks against Collin and Juwan in practice.

And Juwan's ability to play as the backup 5. I just don't see that happening. I know that DD could slide over to the 5 if TB goes out. However, it's more likely DD comes off the bench as the backup 5. He'll also get some run alongside TB too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

And Juwan's ability to play as the backup 5. I just don't see that happening. I know that DD could slide over to the 5 if TB goes out. However, it's more likely DD comes off the bench as the backup 5. He'll also get some run alongside TB too.

Or Bryant stays on the floor, Morgan comes in and then Davis comes back in for Bryant. Davis and Bryant can both start. Have either on the floor for all seconds of the game. It is simple really.

I agree that Cujo is not a likely starter and that there's a better chance of DD starting than Cujo.

I like both coming off the bench. Any time you can bring talent like them off the bench, combined with an upperclassman in Newkirk, and a guy like Juwan that does all of the little things, you have everything you need from a bench. I like the idea of Cujo being an instant offense guy. Would be nice if either DD or Juwan could be a threat on the block while TB is out.

I think the biggest void going into the season to me is not having shooters off the bench. After Cujo I think there are guys that can shoot it, but can they be consistent? Also, Collin needs to shoot it better this year.

We should have enough shooters to spread out. Our "bigs" should all be at least a threat from behind the arc to pull their man out to create lanes. That will then create enough room for shooters to get their shots.

Players I feel comfortable shooting from deep.

- JBJ

- RoJo

- Hartman

- JMor

- OG

- TB

- CuJo

DD also spoke about Crean wanting him to work on trail and corner threes before getting on campus. I don't think we'll be lacking shooters this season.

http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/16026187/five-potential-head-coaches

Not 100% on topic but a Purdue Person Vitale ESPN nugget captioned These Coaches Deserve Another Opportunity.  Our very own Tim Buckley is one of the 5 mentioned.

The current Associate Head Coach at Indiana under Tom Crean, Buckley was the head coach at Ball State from 2000-06. Over the past five years, Buckley has helped Indiana to a 120-53 record and helped the Hoosiers win outright Big Ten titles in 2013 and 2016. He has been a major factor in recruiting. If he wanted to run his own program, I am sure he would do a great job.

30 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Jersey numbers for the freshmen.

Jones 0, Green 11, Davis 20, McSwain 21, Gelon 24.

Courtesy of NaturalHoosier back in Oct. 2013:

ROSTER BY NUMBER
0-Kory Barnett; Will Sheehey, F, Max Biefeldt, F

11-Dan Dakich, G; Dane Fife, G; Todd Jadlow, F/C; Daniel Moore, G; Malcolm Sims, G; Errek Suhr, G; Isiah Thomas, G; Yogi Ferrell, G

20-Jim Barley, F; Mike Bedree, G; Ricky Calloway, G/F; Jack Campbell, F; Goethe Chambers, F; Bill Cunningham, G; Greg Graham, G; Dave Granger, C; Mike Niles, G; Andre Owens, G; A.J. Ratliff, G; Allen Schlegelmilch, G; Jerry Schofield, F; Jim Thomas, G; Gary Tofil, G; Bobby Wilkerson, G/F; Sherron Wilkerson, G; Nick Williams, G/F; Frank Wilson, G; Taylor Wayer, G; Jordan Fuchs, F

21-Ben Allen, F; Hallie Bryant, G; Quinn Buckner, G; Harold Curdy, F; Mike D’Aloisio, G; John Hickey, G; LeRoy Johnson, F; Mark Johnson, G, Bob Leonard, G, Richard Mandeville, C, Dave Holland, F, Winston Morgan, G/F; Chris Reynolds, G; Joe Fagan, G

24-Steve Ahlfeld, G; Ray Ball, F; Steven Gambles, F; Jeff Howard, F; Robert Kent, G; Herbie Lee, G; Michael Lewis, G; Sherrill Marginet, G; Brandon McGee, F; Kenny Morgan, G/F; Matt Nover, C; Ray Pavy, G; Vernon Pfaff, G; Tyrie Robbins, G; Dave Shepherd, G; Daryl Thomas, F/C; Robert Vaden, F/G; Randy Wittman, G/F; John Wood, G; Jack Wright,

Newkirk, Rojo, OG, Hartman, TB. That's the lineup Id like to see, as we have a GREAT defense, outside scoring in Hartman, Rojo, OG, and maybe JN and TB, and a great post presence in TB and also Hartman who is a great player to stretch the D and force the D to play him straight up. JBJ, and Cujo could provide offense off the bench. With Juwan, and De'Ron holding down the paint on defense. I'd also like to see Rojo play w JBJ, and Newkirk play with Cujo, that way we have one great scoring guard and one guard who can play lockdown D.

Newkirk, Rojo, OG, Hartman, TB. That's the lineup Id like to see, as we have a GREAT defense, outside scoring in Hartman, Rojo, OG, and maybe JN and TB, and a great post presence in TB and also Hartman who is a great player to stretch the D and force the D to play him straight up. JBJ, and Cujo could provide offense off the bench. With Juwan, and De'Ron holding down the paint on defense. I'd also like to see Rojo play w JBJ, and Newkirk play with Cujo, that way we have one great scoring guard and one guard who can play lockdown D.

My only problem is playing Hartman at the 4. He's not a very good defender. He hustles but that doesn't mean he is good. He is too small to play the 4 at 6-5ish. If he can put in enough time to spell OG at times. I'm ok with that. My feelings won't be hurt if Hartman only plays 15 minutes.

My only problem is playing Hartman at the 4. He's not a very good defender. He hustles but that doesn't mean he is good. He is too small to play the 4 at 6-5ish. If he can put in enough time to spell OG at times. I'm ok with that. My feelings won't be hurt if Hartman only plays 15 minutes.

He's 6'7"

He's probably going by the listed height, which does say 6'7.  I always advise to take those with a grain of salt.

Eric Gordon was listed at like 6-5 lol. He's really like 6-2 or 6-3. Vic was in the 6-3 or 6-4 range and is listed at 6-5. HS teams do the same lol. At 5-10 I was listed at 6-0 lol.

6 minutes ago, X-Hoosier said:

Eric Gordon was listed at like 6-5 lol. He's really like 6-2 or 6-3. Vic was in the 6-3 or 6-4 range and is listed at 6-5. HS teams do the same lol. At 5-10 I was listed at 6-0 lol.

Yeah, I expect pretty well all coaches fudge those a bit.  I've even heard a coach admit to adding about an inch in height and about 15 pounds in weight.

And he did.  He'd have players listed at 6'2 that were shorter than me and I am 6'2.