Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

X-Hoosier

Looking to next season

15 hours ago, Hoosiers219 said:

1) agree. See us higher than 20 without Troy. I would argue that anyone following the team last year and the the development of our players and transformation of our mindset wouldn't possibly say that.

2) he doesn't have to be Yogi. There is no other Yogi. He was special. Newkirk really needs be solid on both sides of the floor Who knows exactly whom our scorers are.

I've thought a lot about the '11-'12 team this offseason -- IU's last pre-Yogi team. They finished with the #4 offense in terms of adjusted efficiency (http://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2012) with Hulls and Verdell as the starting backcourt.

They're both talented players, but neither one was the dynamic, ball-dominant PG Yogi became. Victor -- the starting 3 on that team -- was very good but hadn't made The Leap yet.

IU's Crean-era staff can cobble together an elite offense without an All-B1G PG. We've already seen it.

On 5/14/2016 at 7:31 AM, Woodson1980 said:

Wasnt there an article a couple weeks ago that named Josh one of 5 impact transfers? As far as only being a change of pace guy at Pitt,that pace is the only one we run.I think we're in for a pleasant surprise with Newkirk.

I have heard good things directed towards Newkirk.  Bielfeldt after the season mentioned that Josh is a good leader. Newkirk was given credit to a late improvement in defensive play once he could begin practice.  While Zeisloft wasn't a stellar defender, Crean gave Newkirk credit for Z's improvement after RoJo went down.

From what I have seen in clips and comments, Josh has a burst of quickness that allows him to put pressure on defenders. He can be a very good replacement if he can get into the lane and make plays without turning the ball over. He won't have to score like Yogi, but he needs to do the other things Yogi did.

Blackmon should soon be announcing he is returning. He wasn't even asked to the combine. 0 chance to get drafted. He basically ready alluded he was coming back when he said "when he returns next year "

Now that we know who's staying and who's going I feel pretty good about next year. Last year I think a lot of the struggles stemmed from the fact that we had two fairly bad to mediocre defenders on the floor at once. When there was only one we could hide him on that end. Unfortunately it made JBJ look like the main issue, unfairly I think. We'll have a really good defensive core next year with an elite scoring threat on offense. Bring on bball season. And good luck to Troy! I'd kill to get paid to play basketball as a job even if it was internationally.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners