Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

X-Hoosier

Looking to next season

The team and program has a chance to build on last season. There are still question marks in the backcourt while the front court should be better. Here are a few key areas that could determine the level of success.

1) Who will step up to play the point? Can RoJo take over the primary ball handling for the majority of the game? Replacing a 4 year starting PG and an B1G great will be difficult. This is the biggest question mark for me.

2) Who steps up and leads the team? If Hartman and RoJo step up as leaders with JBJ as a quiet leader and TB a vocal leader getting everyone on the same page we could be really good.

3) How does the front court rotation play out and how are they utilized? I was hesitant to ink DD and TB into the starting lineup or on the court at the same time for more than a few minutes. After hearing DD talk about working in his trail and corner threes they could get plenty of run together. Does DD have the foot speed to stay with quicker 4s? We could run some huge lineups out there and take advantage of opponents on the glass.

This next season we should have an advantage in the post. Id like to see some high low sets with DD/TB or JMor/DD or TB. We should have the ability to determine the style of play. It should be a fun year with the ability to win the B1G and finally get past the Sweet 16.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The team and program has a chance to build on last season. There are still question marks in the backcourt while the front court should be better. Here are a few key areas that could determine the level of success.

1) Who will step up to play the point? Can RoJo take over the primary ball handling for the majority of the game? Replacing a 4 year starting PG and an B1G great will be difficult. This is the biggest question mark for me.

2) Who steps up and leads the team? If Hartman and RoJo step up as leaders with JBJ as a quiet leader and TB a vocal leader getting everyone on the same page we could be really good.

3) How does the front court rotation play out and how are they utilized? I was hesitant to ink DD and TB into the starting lineup or on the court at the same time for more than a few minutes. After hearing DD talk about working in his trail and corner threes they could get plenty of run together. Does DD have the foot speed to stay with quicker 4s? We could run some huge lineups out there and take advantage of opponents on the glass.

This next season we should have an advantage in the post. Id like to see some high low sets with DD/TB or JMor/DD or TB. We should have the ability to determine the style of play. It should be a fun year with the ability to win the B1G and finally get past the Sweet 16.

I also what the team identity will be

Sent from my SM-G920P using BtownBanners mobile app

Josh/Rojo/JBJ split the 2 guard duties as needed with Cujo/DG spelling them if one is off that night. OG at the 3 with Troy/recruit as backup. DD at 4 with Hartman off bench and TB at 5 with JM as a backup. Don't let TB and DD in bench at same time unless fouls...if Troy stays it would be nice to get another serviceable big to replace vanilla prilla off the bench.

Josh/Rojo/JBJ split the 2 guard duties as needed with Cujo/DG spelling them if one is off that night. OG at the 3 with Troy/recruit as backup. DD at 4 with Hartman off bench and TB at 5 with JM as a backup. Don't let TB and DD in bench at same time unless fouls...if Troy stays it would be nice to get another serviceable big to replace vanilla prilla off the bench.

I still can't see DD in the starting lineup if Troy returns. I see TB and Hartman starting in the front court. OG could be that 6th man that comes in and immediately impacts the game on both ends of the floor. We have great versatility though.

Big lineup:

RoJo, JBJ, OG, DD, TB

Transition:

RoJo, JBJ, Troy, OG, DD

Defense:

Green, RoJo, OG, JMor, DD

On 3/28/2016 at 7:28 AM, HoosierAloha said:

I still see Hartman in the starting lineup. I believe his role will expand a bit next year. Has there been a previous multi year starter who then came off the bench? I know this team might be the deepest in the Crean era but Hartman is that glue guy who can play in a lineup with JBJ, Troy, and to a lesser extent TB. RoJo is a similar player to Hartman but as a guard. OG and CuJo seem like the spark plug kind of players off the bench.

Lyndon Jones

Only guy I can think of is Pritch.

Which Zeller coming in was an obvious talent upgrade. It should be interesting to see if DD gets the starting spot or we go with OG/Hartman on the wings. I'm really looking forward to how Crean utilizes two good "bigs" in his system. Seeing TB and Maximus play together gives me hope we will see it used this coming season.

We hit 345 three's this season. Yogi, Nick and Max hit 173 of them. The rest of the team hit 172.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

That's a lot if threes. Curry hit four hundred alone. Not making a real comparison. But that just popped in my head while I was reading your post. I know it's 82 games versus potential 40, but man that's a lot

The B1G doesn't seem like it will be very strong next year. http://www.insidethehall.com/2016/04/26/early-look-whos-coming-going-big-ten-4/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+insidethehall+%28Inside+the+Hall+%7C+An+Indiana+Hoosiers+basketball+blog%29

My early predictions, if the basic assumptions made in the ITH article hold true:

1. Indiana (by far the most experienced/deepest roster in the B1G)

2. Michigan State (we'll see how their freshman perform)

3. Wisconsin (Happ and Hayes, plus Koenig and Vitto Brown, Khalil Iverson should have a breakout season)

4. Michigan (A lot of experience here as well)

5. Purdue (Ryan Cline and Haas, plus I think Edwards and Swanigan return)

6. Ohio State (Predicting a much better team chemistry, and B1G POY JaQuan Lyle)

7. Maryland (I think Trimble is gone)

8. Penn State (Chambers is making some magic happen, plus a real solid recruiting class)

9. Iowa (Lost four seniors)

10. Nebraska (Returning Webster and added Anton Gill from Louisville)

11. Northwestern (Vic Law is back from injury and McIntosh is a stud)

12. Illinois (We'll see if Groce can keep his players on the court instead of in it)

13. Minnesotta (No faith in Little Dicky)

N/A. Rutgers

The B1G doesn't seem like it will be very strong next year. http://www.insidethehall.com/2016/04/26/early-look-whos-coming-going-big-ten-4/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+insidethehall+%28Inside+the+Hall+%7C+An+Indiana+Hoosiers+basketball+blog%29

My early predictions, if the basic assumptions made in the ITH article hold true:

3. Wisconsin (Happ and Hayes, plus Koenig and Vitto Brown, Khalil Iverson should have a breakout season)

6. Ohio State (Predicting a much better team chemistry, and B1G POY JaQuan Lyle)

8. Penn State (Chambers is making some magic happen, plus a real solid recruiting class)

12. Illinois (We'll see if Groce can keep his players on the court instead of in it)

N/A. Rutgers

This about what I was thinking and could be a 4 team tourney conference this year.

27 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

N/A. Rutgers

I would argue that if Hayes comes back that Wisconsin is the most experienced, and very close, if not better in terms of depth. They're going to be tough next year

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I would argue that if Hayes comes back that Wisconsin is the most experienced, and very close, if not better in terms of depth. They're going to be tough next year

I'll take our talent over theirs though. Juwan Morgan, Thomas Bryant, and OG as sophomores in the front court.

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I'll take our talent over theirs though. Juwan Morgan, Thomas Bryant, and OG as sophomores in the front court.

I'm not saying I wouldn't take ours, especially when you add in a freshmen Davis. But, Happ (who I think is going to be a stud next year), Hayes, Brown, and some of their freshmen that came on towards the end of the year for depth is a pretty formidable group too. 

If IU stays healthy and the Sophs make solid improvement, Hoosiers will be the best in the conference. Unfortunately I think Wisconsin will be very tough too. I'm not as sold on MSU. I know, I know 'Izzo this- and recruiting class that'....but looking at their roster doesn't intimidate me. Come on, their starting center is named 'Gavin', that's not intimidating unless your playing golf at the country club. Who is gonna play power forward for them? They are successful by rebounding and defending the crap out of the interior.....not sure the Spartans have the team for that this season. Plus none of those super recruits are replacing Valentine & Forbes, so I say they drop back a level.

I think Purdue takes a step back too. Hammons and Davis (defensively) will be tough to replace. Ohio St might be much better, although I'm glad Giddens bolted on them- he has potential.

Good news for Michigan is they get everyone back....bad news is they get everyone back. They are solid, but no where near elite.

On 4/26/2016 at 11:54 AM, Walking Boot of Doom said:

N/A. Rutgers

I think I might be undervaluing Wisconsin, and potentially overvaluing the impact Michigan State's recruiting class will have their first year in the B1G. Definitely see a top tier of Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan State, with a strong second tier of Michigan, Purdue, Maryland, and Ohio State. Some of the bad teams from last year certainly look like they will be more formidable like Penn State, Nebraska, and Northwestern.