Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

X-Hoosier

Looking to next season

9 minutes ago, gfunk69 said:

I understand that. But I kinda agree with X on this. You can continually build skill but size/lenghth/athleticism is something you are born with and can only be improved so much. Skills can be taught. If someone trains for 4 years hard on there shot, ball handling, defense,... They could improve a lot. However if they train 4 years trying to get bigger, faster strong they will only get as far as their genetics allow.

And now you've introduced something more than length, skill, size, and athleticism.  Passion, desire, etc. to continue to get better is another aspect of recruiting what fits in your system. 

And now you've introduced something more than length, skill, size, and athleticism.  Passion, desire, etc. to continue to get better is another aspect of recruiting what fits in your system. 

Passion/desire and dedication fit into all systems. It is just getting those kids. A smaller school could have easily gotten an OG or Vic. And those are the types of players I'd go after at a super small school to play the 2 and 3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

Honestly, SDSU could be a power out in the west. Cal, UCLA, and UW are starting to pick it up their recruiting but for awhile it was just UA. At SDSU you could attract the western talent that wants to focus on just basketball.

There defense has been good to great but their offense has been turrrble, most years, at best. Maybe we could hire Fischer as D-coordinator?

I really liked that UAB team from a couple years ago that beat... Iowa State?

I am surprised to hear u say u liked a mediocre team like UAB knowing how much u dislike mediocrity by your past posting history. They finished 20-16 ( 12-6 in conference USA, with losses to Florida Atlantic, FIU, north Texas, and rice). They did get hot at the right time of year though

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I am surprised to hear u say u liked a mediocre team like UAB knowing how much u dislike mediocrity by your past posting history. They finished 20-16 ( 12-6 in conference USA, with losses to Florida Atlantic, FIU, north Texas, and rice). They did get hot at the right time of year though

And last year the same team finished 26-7.

Did they make the tournament or at least get an at-large bid with that impressive 26-7 record?

Stupidly no. Neither did Monmouth. Because the committee would rather put mediocre power teams in like Syracuse.

23 minutes ago, X-Hoosier said:

Stupidly no. Neither did Monmouth. Because the committee would rather put mediocre power teams in like Syracuse.

This I can get behind. The selection committee gets more laughable every year

I agree on Monmouth they actually scheduled and beat teams from power 5 conferences on the road and neutral. UAB is a different story. 25-6 against division 1 (18-3 against rpi +150) (3-1 against top 100, 4-2 against rpi 101-150), sos 296. I guess their best win was at middle Tennessee (15 seed). I'm sorry but I would take a mediocre power team over that resume any day.

I agree on Monmouth they actually scheduled and beat teams from power 5 conferences on the road and neutral. UAB is a different story. 25-6 against division 1 (18-3 against rpi +150) (3-1 against top 100, 4-2 against rpi 101-150), sos 296. I guess their best win was at middle Tennessee (15 seed). I'm sorry but I would take a mediocre power team over that resume any day.

I'm more for giving mid majors a chance.

I am as well as long as they have at least earned it with wins against teams that are at least in the top 100 or teams that are tournament worthy.

I'm more for giving mid majors a chance.

A team like UAB you just have to watch. A team more than capable of upsets. Like the year before. A team that won their conference and didn't finish 8th.

And? I still don't believe they should have gotten in.

So you'd rather have a team get in and probably get bounced the first weekend because they won a bunch of games with an incredibly weak schedule than watch a traditional power house in a down year in a tough conference make it to the final four? And if you are such a fan of size and athleticism, isn't Syracuse the poster child of that style of play?

So you'd rather have a team get in and probably get bounced the first weekend because they won a bunch of games with an incredibly weak schedule than watch a traditional power house in a down year in a tough conference make it to the final four? And if you are such a fan of size and athleticism, isn't Syracuse the poster child of that style of play?

He's also a proponent of playing tough schedules. He hates playing the cupcakes. So he's arguing with himself.

Yes. Cuse had no business in the tourney. It was all name. You finish 10th in your conference at 9-9 then you don't belong. I don't care what conference you're in. It is like the old Big East where teams with under .500 records in conference were getting in. It was a joke. Cuse getting in was a joke. And I think they were 19-12 going into the conference tourney and lost first round to Pitt.

He's also a proponent of playing tough schedules. He hates playing the cupcakes. So he's arguing with himself.

The oddity of X being on the board.
1). Has his own site
2). He's here more than there
3). He argues with any/everyone
4). He contradicts himself
5). Has caused people to stay away

(Un)Fortunately, he's still around. It's fun to jump in and sling some mud around but then realize you feel kind of sorry for him. Glad things are getting back to normal with a solid group of posters.