Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Indiana Core Junior All-Stars Names 03.23.16

Wilkes, Scruggs, Jackson named core Junior All-Stars
1402512400000--MG-7295.JPG Kyle Neddenriep, kyle.neddenriep@indystar.com 12:05 p.m. EDT March 23, 2016

Three local standouts lead the list of boys IndyStar Indiana Junior All-Stars selected through votes by the Indiana Basketball Coaches Association at its all-state meeting.

Park Tudor’s Jaren Jackson Jr., Southport’s Paul Scruggs and North Central’s Kris Wilkes were named among the six core juniors.  The core group of six will play in both exhibition games against the Indiana All-Stars on June 7 and 9 at sites that will be announced at a later date.

The other core juniors Jack Nunge of Castle, Crown Point’s Sasha Stefanovic and Fort Wayne Snider’s Malik Williams.

None of the six core juniors are committed for college, though several are considered national recruits. The 6-7 Wilkes is ranked No. 12 in the junior class by Rivals, Scruggs is No. 32, Williams is No. 36 and Jackson Jr. is No. 63. The 6-9 Nunge has offers from Clemson, Iowa and Vanderbilt, among others, and Stefanovic from Evansville, Indiana State and others.

Six players making up the North group will join the core juniors for one of the exhibition games and six from the South will play with the core group in another exhibition game.

The coaches for the juniors have not yet been selected, All-Star director Charlie Hall said.

Here are the 18 players selected:

Core group

Jaren Jackson Jr., 6-9, Park Tudor

Jack Nunge, 6-9, Castle

Paul Scruggs, 6-3, Southport

Sasha Stefanovic, 6-4, Crown Point

Kris Wilkes, 6-7, North Central

Malik Williams, 6-11, Fort Wayne Snider

North group

Jalen Adaway, 6-4, Logansport

Jaylen Butz, 6-9, Fort Wayne North

Jermaine Couisnard, 6-2, East Chicago Central

Parker Hazen, 6-6, Columbia City

Kyle Mangas, 6-2, Warsaw

Tyler Smith, 6-1, Northeastern

South group

Michael Ertel, 6-0, Mt. Vernon

Zach Gunn, 6-7, Hamilton Southeastern

Isaac Hibbard, 6-0, New Albany

Jaylen Minnett, 6-1, Terre Haute South

Cooper Neese, 6-3, Cloverdale

Justin Roberts, 6-0, Pike

Sasha Stefanovic said his dunk tonight was his first made dunk in a game. He'll visit Xavier this weekend.

Xavier recruiting Indiana better than Indiana? Just kidding but Bluiett and Sasha better than JBJ and Grant?? Could be.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Lol man... Interesting take but how many times does it need to be hashed out. It isn't like IU didn't try all out for Bluiett. He didn't want to come

I know we tried on Bluiett. I was partially kidding, although I do think there is some truth behind it. Just frustrating to sign Gelon then watch Sasha outplay him, or sign Durham then watch Sexton outplay him. Etc.. (Yes, I realize we are putting a team together and need certain pieces.....but to be the best, it is encouraged to get the best)

Also frustrating we aren't a destination spot for our State's best. Honestly though, we do seem to be gaining recruiting momentum again. 2017 will be a good measuring stick to judge.

Just interesting specifically on Xavier. I'm not dwelling on it.

I know we tried on Bluiett. I was partially kidding, although I do think there is some truth behind it. Just frustrating to sign Gelon then watch Sasha outplay him, or sign Durham then watch Sexton outplay him. Etc.. (Yes, I realize we are putting a team together and need certain pieces.....but to be the best, it is encouraged to get the best)

Also frustrating we aren't a destination spot for our State's best. Honestly though, we do seem to be gaining recruiting momentum again. 2017 will be a good measuring stick to judge.

Just interesting specifically on Xavier. I'm not dwelling on it.

We were trending that way before. JBJ and Lyles were committed to IU after Cody and Yogi made it cool to go to IU again. Then... well you know what happened.

Like others have said timing has a lot to do with how a fan base deals with a signing. It will be interesting to see how his IU career plays out. Glad to see the IU commit carry enough weight to land him an all star spot.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Oh Grant...... The honorary All Star.

Rough game for Sacha. Malik, Scruggs, Wilkes carry load.

First time I have gotten to see Gelon play and wow is all I can say. Better bring the tweezers to Btown.

The "Gelon's not good enough" drum is constantly beating. I hope I can shed some clarity into the conversation. 

Two points:

1. You guys are absolutely right: Gelon shows no signs of having the talent level needed to play at a high major program.
  2. RELAX! 13 scholarship athletes in men's basketball is waaaay too many if every one of them goes to a kid that expects playing time. When the "rotation viable" number of scholly players gets past ten or eleven, team chemistry invariably suffers. If Bobby Capo or Jeremy Hollowell thinks he should be playing more and isn't? Transfers, hurt feelings, bad mojo. If Tim Priller or Grant Gelon is expected to be a lovable member of the bench mob? Good times for all, and Freddie McSwain and Devonte Green see the light at the end of the "I'll be in the rotation soon" tunnel. 
And that's the truth.

My worry with this is Gelon receiving das boot after a few years to make room. I really don't want to see more reasons IHSAA coaches have to keep kids away from IU.

My worry with this is Gelon receiving das boot after a few years to make room. I really don't want to see more reasons IHSAA coaches have to keep kids away from IU.

That is only a problem if he expects substantial playing time while not being good enough to merit substantial playing time. That has not been an issue with Tim Priller, but it could be down the road with a player who comes in with unrealistic expectations.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Is Gelon on Priller's level or worse?

My fear is worse. Priller was a pretty good HS player. You can kinda justify the Priller signing. We had missed on a bunch of guys and it was crunch time. This Gelon signing is hard to understand. I got a feeling this is gonna be a subject that wont go away over the next 4 years.