Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Berghoosier

Assistant Coaches Titles

I don't know how recent this is or if it has already been discussed, but I was on the website and noticed that they updated the titles of most of the assistants. I don't think there is too much to make of any of this, just interesting to see. 

Tom Allen- Associate Head Coach/Defense

Greg Frey- Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line

Mark Hagen- Assistant Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line

William Inge- Linebackers/Special Teams Coordinator - Coverage Units

Deland McCulough- Running Backs/Special Teams Coordinator - Return Units

All other assistants have their same titles.

I think the titles for Frey and Allen are mostly posturing and product of contract negotiations. Kind of funny that Hagen is assistant defensive coordinator even though technically we don't have a defensive coordinator, we have an "associate head coach of defense"

Definitely an interesting approach to the special teams unit. I know a lot of teams do this, where coaches are responsible for individual units, but have never seen actual titles given to specify. 

http://iuhoosiers.com/staff.aspx

I don't think Allen's title is "associate head coach of defense". Pretty sure that's "associate head coach/defensive coordinator".

Click the link. No where on the official website is coordinator attached to Allen's title.

Click the link. No where on the official website is coordinator attached to Allen's title.

I did. It also doesn't say "associate head coach of defense". The slash seperates the two. He looks like the D Coordinator to me...

He clearly is the defensive coordinator, but it is strange that the official title seems to be deliberately avoiding calling him that.

I apologize for pointing out something that I thought is interesting and totally inconsequential.  :umbrage:

8 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

@ZachOsterman: Former Louisville and Texas offensive coordinator Shawn Watson has joined IU's staff in an offensive quality control position. #iufb

First thought, he's kind of a big name to be taking this position. But welcome aboard!

Forgive my ignorance, but what the hell does one do as the coach in charge of Offensive Quality Control?

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what the hell does one do as the coach in charge of Offensive Quality Control?

lol I didn't really know either but according to Osterman, he can pretty much help all over but he is not allowed to recruit off campus and he cannot coach players one on one.

It's like in-between a grad assistant and official coach.

In the NFL it's essentially a graduate assistant but in college there is a little more to it. They find, prep, and go over game tape and scout tape.

But it can be used as a catch-all too if he is making more than peanuts. He can do anything except contact recruits or do any on-field coaching. Which still leaves a lot he can do really.

8 hours ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

@ZachOsterman: Former Louisville and Texas offensive coordinator Shawn Watson has joined IU's staff in an offensive quality control position. #iufb

First thought, he's kind of a big name to be taking this position. But welcome aboard!

He's probably trying to lay low for a bit. Texas fans HATE his guts, and that's a pretty rabid bunch to have on your bad side.