Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Josh

IndyCar thread

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

Can they finish tomorrow?  I feel like I remember the race moving 15 years ago or so due to weather

Only if they don't get to half distance today. Once the race reaches halfway, it ends whether they get to lap 200 or not.

I like hockey, but I find it interesting that they're advertising the Stanley Cup as the best trophy in sports during the Indy 500.  They're wrong, the Borg Warner trophy is the best in sports

17 minutes ago, Josh said:

I like hockey, but I find it interesting that they're advertising the Stanley Cup as the best trophy in sports during the Indy 500.  They're wrong, the Borg Warner trophy is the best in sports

Well, you can't drink booze from the Borg Warner trophy unless you try a really weird champagne tower with drink bouncing off the winners heads.

36 minutes ago, Josh said:

Maybe the timing wasn't the best on that, but the Stanley Cup actually is the best trophy in sports. ... And I was born and raised in Indiana, graduated from IU and have watched the Indy 500 for 45-plus years. 

20 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Maybe the timing wasn't the best on that, but the Stanley Cup actually is the best trophy in sports. ... And I was born and raised in Indiana, graduated from IU and have watched the Indy 500 for 45-plus years. 

Why do you say that?

Great race, great weather (whew), another great weekend in Speedway. 

I feel for anyone who wasn’t there to be able to see the super-secret (see: not-televised) secondary flyover. Holy. Cow. Worth the price of admission by itself. 

15 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Great race, great weather (whew), another great weekend in Speedway. 

I feel for anyone who wasn’t there to be able to see the super-secret (see: not-televised) secondary flyover. Holy. Cow. Worth the price of admission by itself. 

I SO agree with that.  Here it is.....not my film, but I sit in Turn 4, and it was absolutely awesome.  I'm so glad someone else thought it was as cool as I did.

Okay, so I have THIS too.   I have 3 sons and this is my youngest (13).   Not his best angle, but he is a huge Indy 500 fan.  He can name all 103 winners in order.   Yes...he has met Donald Davidson and listens to his show.   He pulled Pagenaud in a pre-race pool and won $200.   So THIS is what raw genuine-ness looks like.  THIS is passion for something.  THIS is a kid in his element.   I spent the last mile or so watching HIM...not the cars, with this result.  Funny.  He probably thinks that will be one of the best memories of HIS life.

Daniel Pagenaud 2019.jpg

10 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

The Hulmans have sold the Speedway and the IndyCar Series to Roger Penske.

Shocking. I know nothing lasts forever, but I never thought I'd see the day when IMS left the Hulman family. Truly the end of an era.

2 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

The Hulmans have sold the Speedway and the IndyCar Series to Roger Penske.

If they were going to sell eventually, and they were, this is the perfect scenario.  I would imagine very little about the Indy 500 will change, and there are some incredible leaders (Doug Boles, Mark Miles, Allison Mellangton) working in that organization who, if given the freedom to do so, will take that event and that sport to another level.  An end of an era to be sure, but the people are in place to blow that thing out of the water.

I worked there for 5 years. Probably the best possible buyer if it had to be sold as Penske operation is intimately familiar with how IMS / Indycar operate. However, leaving the Hulman family will definitely change things. I used to describe it as the largest family business ever. Tony made decisions that may not have made strict business sense, but were from the spirit of tradition/pride. I don't expect that will persist with Penske.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

First race of the season is today at 3:00.  Second year driver Pato O'Ward sits on pole and Nascar GOAT Jimmie Johnson sits at 21st.  It's racing season fellas!

Screenshot_20210418-080526_Google.jpg

Such a talented lineup.