Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BottomLine

Is the glass half empty or half full?

In my opinion, the keys to yesterday's loss were as follows:
- Defensive mistakes galore, enough said
- Unusual lineups. Sometimes you get a little lucky and get away with something once, maybe twice, but if you get too cute and push your luck, it comes back to bite you. Tournament time, stick with what you know typically works. This is not a good time to experiment.
- TOs. So many silly TOs again, and we generally commit more in the first half. Does anyone else notice that we start nearly every game in a hole? Why aren't we ready to play at the beginning of these games?
- Yogi has to have the ball on our last offensive possession. Just has to. He's our first team Big Ten player and team MVP. If he misses or turns it over I'll live with it, but now I just wonder "what if...". I doubt that if it were Duke instead of us yesterday that Grayson Allen doesn't have the ball in his hands.
- Poor shooting, it happens and it wasn't for lack of effort, hence the reason to eliminate the other things on this list.

Looking ahead, the glass is half empty for me for two main reasons:

First, this team's record away from Assembly Hall. Mediocre at best (8-7 I believe) with really only three quality wins: UM, ND, and Iowa. Like all teams, we play better at home, but the really good teams have the focus and toughness to have solid road records, whether those are true road games or games on neutral courts. Unfortunately for us, the NCAA games won't be in Bloomington.

Second, and as previously mentioned on this site, it's Tom Crean's tournament record. I really don't think you can even debate that it's less than impressive. This includes Big Ten, NCAA, and even pre-conference tournaments like Maui this year. Some coaches, like Coach K and Coach Izzo, routinely know what levers to pull this time of year. Others don't. I wish I knew the secret recipe, and I'm sure Coach Crean would as well, but that's what makes those guys special.

I will be rooting like hell for the team next weekend, but I am skeptical that we survive through next Sunday. Hope I'm wrong.

great post. Our injuries and lack of depth hurt us. Crean's strange lineups were awkward.

Your point about our final possession is a great one. We could have called a TO and figured it out, but then we would have to inbound the ball.

I'm sour. Admittedly.

All the talk about the last possession and how Yogi should have the ball, but OG was having a career game. Watching it live I was not upset that he had the ball, I was scared when Troy started to drive but once he dished to OG I thought we were in a good place... It didn't turn out well.

As far as Yogi goes, he has never shown me the ability to hit the big shots... I understand wanting our undeniable BEST player to have the ball in his hands at the end, but that just doesn't give me much confidence.

I hate to place the blame on any 1 person (and I am not) but the missed free throw by Yogi was huge.... That changes the game from a 3 point game to a 4 point game... Who knows what would have happened next but I would be willing to be that in that situation Michigan tries to get in the lane and score a 2 point basket, leaving us up 2 and then they would have to foul.... I guess you can always play the what if games though...

I know everyone is upset any time IU loses, myself included.  However, stop for a second and ask yourself which tournament you want to win -   The Big Ten or the NCAA and don't give me the line that you want to win both.  Everybody wants to win both.  We lost Friday primarily because Hartman, Morgan and Johnson are dealing with injuries and that forced IU to put some pretty strange combinations on the floor.  Yogi also took some brutal blows on Friday.   If we are in foul trouble the combinations get even stranger.  We don't have the solid depth that we had only a few weeks ago and that is changing how we are playing.  Can't be helped.  Burton and Niego have now entered the picture as the next men up because of the injury problems.  Or, would you rather go with the starters all the way and grind them down.  They aren't machines, they are flesh and blood and subject to fatigue.   Now do you want to keep pushing players back on the floor who obviously aren't 100% or would you rather have them working with the trainers and doctors in an attempt to go into the NCAA with the strongest team possible?  Keep your eye on the prize.  IU should welcome the extra time off.  Bet our last final four team would have liked to have had a healthy Coverdale and our last Sweet 16 team would have liked to have had a healthy Hulls.  Don't want to see a repeat of that this year.

All the talk about the last possession and how Yogi should have the ball, but OG was having a career game. Watching it live I was not upset that he had the ball, I was scared when Troy started to drive but once he dished to OG I thought we were in a good place... It didn't turn out well.

As far as Yogi goes, he has never shown me the ability to hit the big shots... I understand wanting our undeniable BEST player to have the ball in his hands at the end, but that just doesn't give me much confidence.

I hate to place the blame on any 1 person (and I am not) but the missed free throw by Yogi was huge.... That changes the game from a 3 point game to a 4 point game... Who knows what would have happened next but I would be willing to be that in that situation Michigan tries to get in the lane and score a 2 point basket, leaving us up 2 and then they would have to foul.... I guess you can always play the what if games though...

Didn't Yogi just hit a huge shot about 10 days ago to win the B1G regular season championship?  OG had 2 TOs heading into that final offensive possession.  He had also just came off a knockdown shooter to give up the three to tie the game.  OG is going to be a damn good player at IU but still makes frosh mistakes.  Troy forces plays when they're not there hurting the flow of the offense and turning it over.  TB also had a missed freethrow in crunch time.  You miss shots sometimes but you can't get beat by beating yourself.  We do that too often by committing dumb turnovers and missing defensive assignments.  If IU plays their game under control and plays smart they are hard to beat.

Half full. Here's why I believe we'll see the Hoosiers in the Elite 8;

-Robert Johnson's return, he will play off the bench giving us depth at guard & another long defender (OG, Juwan).
*did not play yesterday
*another week of rest

-Juwan Morgan playing more than 6 minutes
*another week of rest

-Collin Hartman playing inspired & smart.
*week of rest from grueling B1G season on him

-Yogi gets his legs under him for a final surge, senior AA PG in tourney have been big through the years

-Bielfedt brings knowledge and calmness to team during NCAA they didn't have last year

-TB was 3-8 yesterday, usually higher %

-walk Ons played 10 minutes in yesterday's game by necessity, won't have to now. Although Nieggo may pick up a minute here or there

-Bench will come in as 6'4 Soph, 6'8 frosh, 6'7 frosh, 6'8 Grad Sr.
*all 4 could start on a multitude of tourney teams

With all of our weapons offensively, experience & talent- opposing coaches have almost no time to prepare to stop our offense.

The extra rest is what we needed & got. I think we are fine.

Half full. Here's why I believe we'll see the Hoosiers in the Elite 8;

-Robert Johnson's return, he will play off the bench giving us depth at guard & another long defender (OG, Juwan).
*did not play yesterday
*another week of rest

-Juwan Morgan playing more than 6 minutes
*another week of rest

-Collin Hartman playing inspired & smart.
*week of rest from grueling B1G season on him

-Yogi gets his legs under him for a final surge, senior AA PG in tourney have been big through the years

-Bielfedt brings knowledge and calmness to team during NCAA they didn't have last year

-TB was 3-8 yesterday, usually higher %

-walk Ons played 10 minutes in yesterday's game by necessity, won't have to now. Although Nieggo may pick up a minute here or there

-Bench will come in as 6'4 Soph, 6'8 frosh, 6'7 frosh, 6'8 Grad Sr.
*all 4 could start on a multitude of tourney teams

With all of our weapons offensively, experience & talent- opposing coaches have almost no time to prepare to stop our offense.

The extra rest is what we needed & got. I think we are fine.

All these things and Crean is due. This team has all the advantages you list and a chip on their shoulder now.

I think what I'm choosing to stay positive about is that we'll be playing non-conference teams in the tournament. Teams that haven't played us twice this year and several times in the past. Maybe our shooting, pace, and athleticism will be too much for those teams.

You can only scout so much. Actually playing a team is different.

Also, I said I'm "choosing" to stay positive based on that. The same logic could cause us to lay an egg.

Leading into yesterday we had won five in a row, three of which were against ranked teams, in a power conference.

Did y'all expect us to never lose again?

The ship is right; we will be a very tough out in the tournament.  And that's what we should be hoping for every year.

2 of the 3 were at home and Iowa was in full blown late season swoon. Now we play on a neutral court against teams excited to be in the Dance. Will we raise our level of play to match that intensity? Rarely done it in the past is why Im half empty.

Didn't Yogi just hit a huge shot about 10 days ago to win the B1G regular season championship? OG had 2 TOs heading into that final offensive possession. He had also just came off a knockdown shooter to give up the three to tie the game. OG is going to be a damn good player at IU but still makes frosh mistakes. Troy forces plays when they're not there hurting the flow of the offense and turning it over. TB also had a missed freethrow in crunch time. You miss shots sometimes but you can't get beat by beating yourself. We do that too often by committing dumb turnovers and missing defensive assignments. If IU plays their game under control and plays smart they are hard to beat.

Huge shot yes... Clutch shot, not in my opinion considering time and score in that game...
OG is a freshman and I understand there will be issues because of that, just saying I was happy with the play, didn't work out but I thought it was a good play.
Not blaming the whole loss on Yogi or OG or Troy or any individual...

OG has been an instant difference maker. Didn't get minutes before and probably never would have. Crean lucked into this discovery.

Lucked into it? He recruited and developed OG. I don't get why people try to discredit the good things Crean does. There are plenty of negatives to actually focus on instead of attempting to marginalize his successes.

Lucked into it? He recruited and developed OG. I don't get why people try to discredit the good things Crean does. There are plenty of negatives to actually focus on instead of attempting to marginalize his successes.

You know that if Blackmon didn't get injured he would have started over OG. Don't try to paint a different picture. That doesn't mean OG wouldn't have flourished it just means we would not have seen it this year .

Half full! We got a chance and kicking Kensucky's ass. Then we will probably get UNC and I like beating them shit heads. You know what, I'm putting the Hoosiers in the final four! Like coop said, "time to nut up and NOT shut up!" We are going to make a deep run folks. This is the year!

You know that if Blackmon didn't get injured he would have started over OG. Don't try to paint a different picture. That doesn't mean OG wouldn't have flourished it just means we would not have seen it this year .

You and everyone else is speaking speculatively. How am I painting different pictures? Who knows how Crean would have used OG. We did see him playing more minutes before Blackmon's injury, and we can certainly say he wouldn't be playing as much with a healthy Blackmon as there would be fewer available minutes.

You and everyone else is speaking speculatively. How am I painting different pictures? Who knows how Crean would have used OG. We did see him playing more minutes before Blackmon's injury, and we can certainly say he wouldn't be playing as much with a healthy Blackmon as there would be fewer available minutes.

"who knows how Crean would have used OG" is a speculative statement.