Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierReb01

ESPN article on Devine Redding

We are absolutely loaded at both RB and WR. I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick back at WR come training camp. He may be too good a WR to move him from the position, regardless of depth

CKW loves playing freshmen. Enis and Gest have the ability to contribute immediately. Majette is talented and will be in the mix. Alex Rodriguez is a physical freak and I am sure will get a look. Patrick may be there now because the young guys aren't there yet or still need to develop.

Article text for non-clickers:

Devine Redding next Indiana RB in line for breakout season

By Jesse Temple

When Indiana running back Devine Redding is asked about his individual goals for his junior season, he lists two objectives that have nothing to do with yards or touchdowns: play hard every play and always keep a smile on his face. 

"Because anything can happen," he said. 

Redding's first two seasons with the Hoosiers have taught him that. After he arrived as a freshman, he watched teammate Tevin Coleman rush for 2,036 yards, earn consensus All-American honors and finish seventh in the Heisman Trophy voting. 

As soon as Coleman left a year early for the NFL draft, Jordan Howard transferred in from UAB and was immediately eligible to play after the Blazers disbanded their football program. Redding was thrust into a backup role before he could ascend to the Hoosiers' featured tailback position. 

Rather than lament his plight, Redding saw value in the process of improving and drawing pointers from Howard, just as he did with Coleman. When Howard sustained an ankle injury against Ohio State early in the season and a knee injury against Maryland down the stretch, Redding proved more than ready for his opportunity. 

Now, with Howard also off to the NFL draft a year early, Redding is poised to thrive, thanks to the patience he has shown. 

"You learn a lot from guys with experience," Redding said. "They really teach you how to transition into playing in a game. That's one of the main points I got from playing with Tevin and Jordan. 

"What both of them told me was just to stay relaxed in the backfield. Don't be too frantic. Don't be too excited back there. Know what you're doing, and things will go great for you. That helps me a lot because I can transfer that mindset with other running backs that are coming in and be ready to go." 

As Indiana ramps up its spring practices, Redding will be a focal point of the offense, a rock the Hoosiers can depend on, even as the team is surrounded by so many other questions. Indiana is trying to replace record-setting quarterback Nate Sudfeld, perhaps with junior college transfer Richard Lagow. On defense, Indiana hired former South Florida coordinator Tom Allen to take over after the Hoosiers allowed a Big Ten-worst 37.6 points per game last season. 

A year ago, Redding rushed for 1,012 yards with nine touchdowns, and he was one of the most significant reasons Indiana won its final two regular-season games to reach a bowl for the first time since 2007. Howard's knee injury against the Terrapins came after only three carries. Then Redding stepped in and rushed 24 times for 130 yards -- the beginning of an exceptional three-game performance with Howard sidelined. 

Redding recorded 22 carries for 144 yards with a touchdown to help Indiana win the Old Oaken Bucket against Purdue and become bowl-eligible. He hurdled a defender in breathtaking fashion, which drew a playful Twitter critique from Olympic hurdler Lolo Jones. During Indiana's 44-41 overtime loss to Duke in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl, Redding carried 35 times for 227 yards with a touchdown. 

All those accomplishments are noteworthy, particularly for a player whose college scholarship choices were nearly nonexistent. Indiana running backs coach Deland McCullough watched Redding at a summer camp and offered him a scholarship. When Redding picked the Hoosiers, he still had only one scholarship offer. 

But there remains a level of humility and succinctness to Redding, even as he could bask in the glow of his achievements. The 5-foot-10, 205-pounder from Youngstown, Ohio, prefers to downplay his high-profile hurdle. He does not gloat about his spectacular bowl performance; instead, he said it was "just another way that the RBs play and keep our standards high." 

Probed about finally being "the guy" in Indiana's backfield, he responds that he doesn't like such a term. 

"We've got other backs because we never were a one-back team," he said. 

Redding's approach will keep him from being satisfied as Indiana attempts to reach consecutive bowl games for the first time since 1990 and 1991. Indiana's high-speed offense requires the use of multiple tailbacks, and several will have the opportunity to share the spotlight with Redding. Alex Rodriguez and Ricky Brookins both earned carries in the bowl game. Mike Majette rushed for 83 yards against Rutgers as a freshman last season. 

The wild card in the bunch appears to be Camion Patrick, a transfer from East Mississippi Community College who earned offensive scout team player of the year honors for the Hoosiers last season, after he was ruled academically ineligible. Patrick was supposed to be a wide receiver but is now in the backfield. 

"The best player on the football team is Camion Patrick," Indiana coach Kevin Wilson told reporters after Indiana's victory against Purdue last season. "You haven't seen him yet. He's really good." 

Whatever happens, Redding will be ready. He said he spent the offseason improving his footwork through ladder and cone drills and honing his pass protection technique. All that hard work has put Redding in position to have a monster junior season, which should certainly be enough to keep a smile on his face. 

"It means a lot to me to be a leader," Redding said. "With the new, young guys coming in, you can set an example. I've just got to keep building with my teammates and my other RBs." 

We are absolutely loaded at both RB and WR. I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick back at WR come training camp. He may be too good a WR to move him from the position, regardless of depth

CKW loves playing freshmen. Enis and Gest have the ability to contribute immediately. Majette is talented and will be in the mix. Alex Rodriguez is a physical freak and I am sure will get a look. Patrick may be there now because the young guys aren't there yet or still need to develop.

Just hope someone emerges as a stud at QB....

Hey Akhosrof, what have you seen from the defense? It will be interesting to see how Coach Allen fits all the players into the new scheme.

Hey Akhosrof, what have you seen from the defense? It will be interesting to see how Coach Allen fits all the players into the new scheme.

I haven't followed spring practice much, so I am curious to hear how the D is doing as well!

Just hope someone emerges as a stud at QB....

Speaking of spring practice... I was surprised to hear Zander had surgery and was out. I wonder how Lagow and King are doing? Big opportunity for them with Zander out.

I've heard Coach Allen is a champion like something out of a sports movie and is going to shock us all with the high level of defensive play we see this year.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but we unfortunately hear the same thing every year.   :(   

The problem may be that he is such a good RB that he may be too good not to use there.