Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Walking Boot of Doom

Illinois Hires Former Chicago Bears Head Coach Lovie Smith

In an attempt to bring some light, other than that which constantly reflects off Groce's shiny dome, to an otherwise dark and gloomy athletic department, the University of Illinois has hired Lovie Smith as Head Coach.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-lovie-smith-illinois-football-20160307-story.html

As was Charlie Weiss at ND.....

Charlie Weiss was an O Coordinator. I am a Bears fan. Lovie has done an excellent job as both a D Coordinator and coach. If you can defend and run in the B1G you are going to be solid. They will most certainly be better than Weiss at ND. Him in the Chicago area is just home and he should have no problem recruiting that area.

Charlie Weiss was an O Coordinator. I am a Bears fan. Lovie has done an excellent job as both a D Coordinator and coach. If you can defend and run in the B1G you are going to be solid. They will most certainly be better than Weiss at ND. Him in the Chicago area is just home and he should have no problem recruiting that area.

Personally, I predict a similar fate to Weiss.  Weiss came in with more fanfare as a football wizard.  When I lived in Chicago, I don't remember a lot of people distraught when the Bears got rid of him.  He has no college experience, and has had more than one pro team push him out.  Maybe he becomes the next Pete Carroll, but I am betting not.

Good hire in my opinion.

He should never have been fired from Tampa. That was a joke. They fired him because they didn't want to lose their coordinator to another team. There's a reason Tampa has only had one good year since 2002 (the year after they fired a Hall of Fame coach in Dungy. )