Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Indiana Hoosiers vs Maryland Post Game Victory Thread

I agree. It's really a year where everybody's brackets will really be a mess after the first 5 games.

Yup. The good news is 1) defense travels and we're playing solid defense and 2) (assuming everyone is healthy for the tournament) we have a deep bench and multiple people who can score.

What you say here is all true, and awesome as well. But, I can you downplaying Maryland many times this season. Now you say they are one of the best. To fit what your mission is, I guess.

He does this a lot. You get used to it .

I don't think I processed this before the game, but Maryland was the best defensive team we've played according to KenPom and we hung 80 points on them.

Do you recall what they were ranked defensively prior to the game? They're 20 now which seems at least ten spots lower than I though I remembered...

Do you recall what they were ranked defensively prior to the game? They're 20 now which seems at least ten spots lower than I though I remembered...

19th. Not much of a drop at all. (For any team's pre-game KenPom numbers check the first post of the pre-game thread and I'll have posted the match-up numbers)

19th. Not much of a drop at all. (For any team's pre-game KenPom numbers check the first post of the pre-game thread and I'll have posted the match-up numbers)

Thanks for enabling my laziness with a response. Huh, don't know why I thought they were higher. I think they were the second best defense in the B1G or something...

Thanks for enabling my laziness with a response. Huh, don't know why I thought they were higher. I think they were the second best defense in the B1G or something...

That I can believe. I don't have those numbers for pregame, though next year I will probably include them since they're interesting too. They're always so uninteresting at the beginning of the year when each game causes huge swings that I forget to go back and look at them later.

They are however, still number 2 in the conference on defense (MSU, Maryland, Us, Wisco).

Holy cow, did not realize that Nick Z played 33 minutes against Maryland. He and Troy had the second and third most minutes, respectively. Considering they're two of our less capable defenders, I'm even more impressed by our defensive performance.

Holy cow, did not realize that Nick Z played 33 minutes against Maryland. He and Troy had the second and third most minutes, respectively. Considering they're two of our less capable defenders, I'm even more impressed by our defensive performance.

Nick has been bringing it on defense lately. There will be plays he just can't make because of the lack of elite athleticism but man he works his butt off.

I'm still confused by who Troy is guarding at times. There were several times he ran out past the arc to defend.... an area? with nobody there. I really hope he continues to guard ball handlers rather than shooters. He loses focus quickly and isn't able to get through off ball screens.

Nick has been bringing it on defense lately. There will be plays he just can't make because of the lack of elite athleticism but man he works his butt off.

I'm still confused by who Troy is guarding at times. There were several times he ran out past the arc to defend.... an area? with nobody there. I really hope he continues to guard ball handlers rather than shooters. He loses focus quickly and isn't able to get through off ball screens.

Last two words contain your answer. Anytime he's lost on defense, the other team ran a screen for his man. I don't know if he just doesn't see it coming, or if he's slow coming off them, but it's bad.

That I can believe. I don't have those numbers for pregame, though next year I will probably include them since they're interesting too. They're always so uninteresting at the beginning of the year when each game causes huge swings that I forget to go back and look at them later.

They are however, still number 2 in the conference on defense (MSU, Maryland, Us, Wisco).

Your last sentence put a smile on my face. I appreciate you sharing these stats.

Last two words contain your answer. Anytime he's lost on defense, the other team ran a screen for his man. I don't know if he just doesn't see it coming, or if he's slow coming off them, but it's bad.

It frustrates me to watch as Troy is completely out of position on defense or just kind of stops when he comes to a screen.  I can't remember what game it was but OG and JMor showed a thousand times better understand as soon as they came in.  Troy had just left his man wide open for three and turned it over on the other end then got yanked.  The next defensive possession JMor got caught in a moving screen (must have been Iowa) but OG switched and got out to the shooter to prevent an open look.  It amazes me the level of defense OG and JMor bring to the team off the bench.

Interesting convo, and you can tell they were coached differently and came from different types of programs before Indiana. 

Teams absolutely pick (no pun intended) on Troy. I'm not saying defending an off ball screen is the simplest thing in the world, but it's certainly doable. There are several different techniques for defending several different types of off ball screens. Troy just has no instinct on it because, I assume, he hasn't done it enough or had enough success with it. 

I've pretty much given up on Troy having any sort of reactionary technique to defending a screen away from the ball on his man. Ex. reading the screen then reacting by going under, over, shooting the gap etc etc. I really think, at least for the remainder of the year, Troy needs to realize that he is going to be screened away from the ball. From there, Troy needs to work on finding the screen and forcing his man one way. Find your mans path and bump him off it/force the other way, . It's a little bit of a cheap way to defend, and can certainly result in the offensive player making a smart reaction (ie flaring to the 3), but it's forcing them to make a play as opposed to just running the play they planned for.

This isn't apples to apples, but it's sorta like off a ball screen or whatever you get into a m2m mismatch where you know you can't defend the guy. Face guard the hell out of him and deny ball. 1, you can play with a lot more contact away from the ball than if he has it. He may back cut you, but you were in trouble anyways if you are just going to let them exploit the mismatch.

This doesn't have to do with off ball screens, but to the no instincts/lack of coaching point...

http://www.btn2go.com/game/maryland-at-indiana-on-03062016

10:30 in on the video, not the actual game 15:37 mark on gametime...watch troys defensive possession. Not trying to pick on him but...wtf. 

This doesn't have to do with off ball screens, but to the no instincts/lack of coaching point...

http://www.btn2go.com/game/maryland-at-indiana-on-03062016

10:30 in on the video, not the actual game 15:37 mark on gametime...watch troys defensive possession. Not trying to pick on him but...wtf. 

He did that a few more times in the second half (as we discussed in the game chat). But....  if someone would have gotten a steal or quick rebound he would have been in position to finish on the break.