Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

On 4/29/2017 at 10:22 AM, AKHoosier said:

lol what prompted this, a slightly-intoxicated Friday night post, or is there something new here?

I really like how much time our new staff is spending on Garland this April.  My dream is that we find a way to sign both him and Phinisee, and I think it's plausible given how many guards we're losing the next two seasons including this one.

Those two plus Langford is my dream.  Then a Forward

Garland, Phinisee, Langford, and Jallow would be one hell of a class. Beef up Moore to play some backup 5 and that's a top 10 team in 2018.

Garland, Swider, Langford, Jallow

I can dream. Phinisee or Carey for Garland would be good too.

I still like Carmody as well. We didn't seem to prioritize him as much.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Garland, Swider, Langford, Jallow

I can dream. Phinisee or Carey for Garland would be good too.

I still like Carmody as well. We didn't seem to prioritize him as much.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I want Phinisee along with Garland. I can see Phinisee being a solid piece and then leading the team as a junior. I could easily see Langford be a one and done that would give us at least three open spots for 2019.

I want Phinisee along with Garland. I can see Phinisee being a solid piece and then leading the team as a junior. I could easily see Langford be a one and done that would give us at least three open spots for 2019.

I understand that. I'm not as enamored by Phinisee as others. I think Garland is a 2-4 year guy anyway. I think Carey is impressive seeming too. Phinisee instead of Garland is a pretty good consolation prize though. I'm just not sure we need both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I understand that. I'm not as enamored by Phinisee as others. I think Garland is a 2-4 year guy anyway. I think Carey is impressive seeming too. Phinisee instead of Garland is a pretty good consolation prize though. I'm just not sure we need both of them.

I'm with you on Phinisee, like him , but what about Green? He is going to be in the mix no matter who we bring in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm with you on Phinisee, like him , but what about Green? He is going to be in the mix no matter who we bring in.

I'm really high on Green. I think we give him the keys this year with Newkirk coming off the bench. If we get Davis, Green, Jones, and some of the frosh solid playing time pair them with a few stud 2018 recruits (Langford and Garland) I think we have team poised to make a big run. I want Phinisee as a backup point ready to run things when Green graduates.

I'm really high on Green. I think we give him the keys this year with Newkirk coming off the bench. If we get Davis, Green, Jones, and some of the frosh solid playing time pair them with a few stud 2018 recruits (Langford and Garland) I think we have team poised to make a big run. I want Phinisee as a backup point ready to run things when Green graduates.

Lol you said you're really high on green. Smoke on man

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Unless Green made a monster improvement we are in deep poop if he is our starting point guard next year.

He showed all of the skills that you're looking for in a lead guard, minus the turnovers. I would imagine in Archie's system, he would thrive.
I guess we all see things differently.

11 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Unless Green made a monster improvement we are in deep poop if he is our starting point guard next year.

Yeah I'm with you.  Devonte Green is the darling of the IU fanbase, and everyone is convinced he's ready to lead the team.  I just don't see it.  He made a couple flashy passes, but otherwise didn't show me that he's there yet.  Of course he can improve and be an awesome player for us, he just wasn't there last year.  

A note about Darius from my the EYBL games last weekend (I was there).  Darius had quite a few turnovers, but I saw multiple instances where he would make a pretty incredible entry pass or drive-and-dish under the basket, and the other guy just couldn't handle it or wasn't ready for it.  Darius plays fast, and does some unexpected things out there.  A combination of him making the passes ever-so-slightly more catchable, and his teammates expecting them, and those turnovers would have been assists.  

19 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Yeah I'm with you.  Devonte Green is the darling of the IU fanbase, and everyone is convinced he's ready to lead the team.  I just don't see it.  He made a couple flashy passes, but otherwise didn't show me that he's there yet.  Of course he can improve and be an awesome player for us, he just wasn't there last year.  

A note about Darius from my the EYBL games last weekend (I was there).  Darius had quite a few turnovers, but I saw multiple instances where he would make a pretty incredible entry pass or drive-and-dish under the basket, and the other guy just couldn't handle it or wasn't ready for it.  Darius plays fast, and does some unexpected things out there.  A combination of him making the passes ever-so-slightly more catchable, and his teammates expecting them, and those turnovers would have been assists.  

Lot of these kids on the AAU circuit seem to have an unusually large number of TO's but you have to remember that they rarely practice as a team and it's hard to develop that sixth sense of what your teammate is likely to do in any given situation.

Green's a a really hard read for me.I really like the kid but don't really see him as a point.More of a combo.In his defense he was looking over his shoulder at the bench 3/4 of his time waiting to be yanked and didn't seem comfortable with the chaos.I can relate.
Regardless of how Phinisee is playing now I still want him.Garland goes without saying.

Good interview. "Maybe Indiana" isn't the best quote we could hope for but his description later of Archie and Indiana was good. I think we will need a great class to attract Garland. He is going to want to play with other great players.

Duke is scary here if they really want him. Coach K's age might start working against him soon.

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Good interview. "Maybe Indiana" isn't the best quote we could hope for but his description later of Archie and Indiana was good. I think we will need a great class to attract Garland. He is going to want to play with other great players.

Duke is scary here if they really want him. Coach K's age might start working against him soon.

Yeah the "maybe Indiana" quote was definitely surprising