Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

Right, has to be the hardest part of recruiting. Getting kids to like your school is the easy part. Getting them to fall in love with you and the school is the hard part obviously and part of that is like you said, knowing when and when not to press certain buttons. I'm impatient so I know I couldn't do it lol. As you said if he feels he needs to visit I believe he will. It does suck seeing them visit so much and nothing from us but just like when Romeo gets close we will see him more than the other schools just cause its closer regardless of what the situation is. 

There is still a limit that each school has on visits and open gyms per recruit i remember hearing. I just don’t remember the number.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, ChiHoosier5 said:

https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/status/925867135317966849

Slater switched from Duke to Vandy not from IU to Vandy. 

People asking Jerry if he is going to switch his pick. Hasn't replied but did say the pick was 'significant' to Vandy since it is Slater. Pretty clear Jerry doesn't know. 

2 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Right, has to be the hardest part of recruiting. Getting kids to like your school is the easy part. Getting them to fall in love with you and the school is the hard part obviously and part of that is like you said, knowing when and when not to press certain buttons. I'm impatient so I know I couldn't do it lol. As you said if he feels he needs to visit I believe he will. It does suck seeing them visit so much and nothing from us but just like when Romeo gets close we will see him more than the other schools just cause its closer regardless of what the situation is. 

Nashville to NA is about the same distance as NA to BTown.,

1 minute ago, Whojainjawja said:

CAM didn't get where he is in this recruitment because he has no clue. I doubt that he underestimates anyone or anything in this tug of war. The fact that he is not panicking by any of this is a good  sign. Patience is the word folks.

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

There is still a limit that each school has on visits and open gyms per recruit i remember hearing. I just don’t remember the number.

Yeah there is. Be something worth researching. Vandy has to be close to running out lol. I would use each one I had honestly tho haha. I have no issue with Archie Garland or not or Romeo or not. A knock on someone is like saying someone bothers me doing this or that, but he probably has a legit reason and with the exhibition games, Romeo and Garland he has his hands full right now.

39 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

What's wrong with losing a player to Vandy? ... I don't want to lose a recruit that we're really after. But if it has to happen, I'd almost rather lose a recruit to a really decent dude like Bryce Drew than a sleazeball like Calipari or a rat like Coach K. Besides, as far as I know, neither has made a decision yet. 

The biggest issue I see with losing a recruit to Vandy is that their coach is from Indiana and will likely be going head to head with CAM for a lot of recruits in the near future. It just isn't a precedent I want to see set, ESPECIALLY with an Indiana player (if he were to land Langford). 

Aside from that, and I hate to sound like the Kentucky fans, but there's no reason we should be losing top recruits to schools like Vanderbilt. I like Drew and it's a very good school, but these kids want to play in the NBA. Vandy can't match our fan base, our tradition, our facilities, or our exposure. From a basketball perspective, it just shouldn't happen. Garland would be understandable with it being his home, but nobody else makes sense. I mean, when was the last time you heard "Man, I can't wait to see Vandy take it to Alabama on the court this weekend!"

FWIW. Slater did pick IU after Duke. Now from IU to Vandy.

Meyer is wrong about the Duke to Vandy change.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don’t think he knows anything more than any of the other recruiting insiders. I would guess after things started appearing much tighter that he decided to give the edge to the home school.

Family wants to hear EVERY school's last pitch before deciding. Whether in person or by phone. "Last week if you asked him, it was IU. This week depending on the day it is a flip flop." 

Nothing crazy but wanted to share. 

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

FWIW. Slater did pick IU after Duke. Now from IU to Vandy.

Meyer is wrong about the Duke to Vandy change.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That was my memory as well.

The more interesting part of Jerry's tweet is that he's seen Slater's pick, but hasn't (yet) changed his own. Jerry can call the pick "significant" to drive traffic to 247, but it's apparently not significant enough for him to take action. Obviously that can still change. But at the moment Jerry still trusts whomever he was hearing from last week more than he trusts Andrew Slater. Sounds good to me.

4 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Family wants to hear EVERY school's last pitch before deciding. Whether in person or by phone. "Last week if you asked him, it was IU. This week depending on the day it is a flip flop." 

Nothing crazy but wanted to share. 

I posted last week that this is exactly why I wanted him to commit then.

Here's my prediction ... 

Winston Garland played at Gary Roosevelt with Renaldo Thomas. To help counsel Darius, Winston asks Renaldo to sit and speak with the lad. Renaldo didn't have much of a college career, but was on those Phi Slamma Jamma teams at Houston. He asks Darius if he's thought about the Cougars and encourages him to check them out. "Why not," Darius thinks and heads to Texas for a visit. He's very taken with the Houston coach and loves what he has to say. So on Nov. 9, he goes on ESPN and announces his commitment to Houston. 

The greatest recruiting coup in the history of the American Athletic Conference becomes known as "Sampson's Revenge."