Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

Thanks, this explains so much. Couldn't figure out why Garland would be such an early priority for CAM considering Phinisee fits exactly what he said he would be recruiting and there was no way he was recruiting Garland at Dayton. Didn't consider the possibility of a contact from the player's end. Could be a lot of fun to watch this one, though I really hope we stay on Phinisee.

Garland and Phinisee is a perfect example of what I think IU needs to do in recruiting to be elite again. Land the uber talented player that will likely be gone after a year or two along with a prospect that can develop in your system. Phinisee can learn and develop while you're star can shine. They don't necessarily need to be in the same class though.

Garland and Phinisee is a perfect example of what I think IU needs to do in recruiting to be elite again. Land the uber talented player that will likely be gone after a year or two along with a prospect that can develop in your system. Phinisee can learn and develop while you're star can shine. They don't necessarily need to be in the same class though.

Along with some kid named Romeo ... (yikes)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Have to think we at the very least end up in his top 3 or 5 whatever he makes.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

If your not the one then who cares? Crean was the king of making top 5 lists for 5* players onlyvto come up short 95% of the time.

I hope Archie is a better judge of where we stand and if a long shot move on

If your not the one then who cares? Crean was the king of making top 5 lists for 5* players onlyvto come up short 95% of the time.

I hope Archie is a better judge of where we stand and if a long shot move on

I get that but we have a shot. How many kids have we led for and lost at the end? Quite a few. You don't give up unless you know there is 0% chance. If that was the case he should have never called Romeo. Most recruits don't truly know until a month before announcing or if they fall in love on a visit. Being in top 5's isn't a bad thing. It gives more exposure. Diallo is the only kid who we made a top 5 for I truly didn't think we had a shot with.

Being the school is obviously the best case scenario. If you stop recruiting every player you don't know about, then Archie better pick up a hobby.

You can't compare how things went with Crean to how things will go with Archie.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Exactly why I am more comfortable getting into kids top schools list lol? I believe Archie & Schilling will close more deals than ol Crean and Buckley ever could.

Crean was easy to recruit against. Archie? What can they say bad about him?

Hmmm, I'll Bite: IU won't be a contender, they aren't even ranked and didn't even make the tourney. If you want to win right away, that's not where you want to be. If you care about getting to the league, come play for a coach that has a history of developing players and getting them to the league, what is archie's success rate in doing that? Want to win the championship or still be alive the last weekend of the season, it's all about exposure and what does Archie know about that?

2 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Hmmm, I'll Bite: IU won't be a contender, they aren't even ranked and didn't even make the tourney. If you want to win right away, that's not where you want to be. If you care about getting to the league, come play for a coach that has a history of developing players and getting them to the league, what is archie's success rate in doing that? Want to win the championship or still be alive the last weekend of the season, it's all about exposure and what does Archie know about that?

Which is why we have to win next year 

In all honesty, we are always gonna lose a few 5 stars to the likes of Duke etc.  But under a young coach with actual playing experience if we can convince one 5 star that he can come in and be the man it will help to start a trend.  And that's what we need.  A trend started.  We hafta give Arch a chance to get things going.  I do believe from the coaching staff he has assembled mixed with the fact he could talk Collin into coming back that its,obvious he knows how to talk.  We shall be fine 

The 5 stars will come. No doubt about it. IU will be back in the thick of the conversation by this time next year. I expect us to be behind Duke and UK still but even if they got the top 10 kids combine between them and say 8 more from different locations picking home schools, that is plenty of talent to pick from.

Say we got Robert Phinisee and Eric Hunter. Then some other good kids. Our rotation would be....

PG: DG/Phinisee/Hunter
SG: CuJo/Hunter/Durham
SF: Smith
PF: Morgan
C: Davis

That is a lot of talent to work with. Add some solid depth pieces and a grad guy or two and we can very well compete for a top 3 or 4 B1G spot and tourney appearance.

Tre Jones will be a Blue Devil so no need to fret. Tre is already being mentioned as much improved and will make Duke not worry about the rankings as much. Big bro is gonna make sure he goes to Duke. Only other school I could see Tre going is Minny.

I have said this for awhile, but I expect a 3 way battle for Garland of us, KU and Vandy.

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Garland!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

lol what prompted this, a slightly-intoxicated Friday night post, or is there something new here?

I really like how much time our new staff is spending on Garland this April.  My dream is that we find a way to sign both him and Phinisee, and I think it's plausible given how many guards we're losing the next two seasons including this one.