Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

Home is home. No matter how long you have been away from it. Nothing makes a person feel secure, happy and optimistic. Indiana is HOME. Great fan base that always support.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Don't forget guys. For players like Darius building their brand is important. Much easier to do that at IU than at Vandy

To add to this remember that this is how Alford got Wilkes he convinced him Being out West would help him get a head start on his pro image. 

Home is home. No matter how long you have been away from it. Nothing makes a person feel secure, happy and optimistic. Indiana is HOME. Great fan base that always support.

Not true for everyone. There are very different concepts of home.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes, but if you were to objectively look back at Crean and his time here, he was in a similar situation as well, There are numerous examples of Crean getting us in deep and to the end with a lot of huge recruits... Crean didn't win many of those and until Romeo and garland sign, Archie hasn't either.

I believe Archie will get better results but just want to point out that we have been in this type of situation numerous times over the Crean era

Absolutely right.
The difference without picking on FCTC is the oddness of the man and the 15 or 20 offers to players at the same positions.
Archie seems no nonsense and has been laser focused on these two kids.
Recruits see the difference and so do their coaches and parents.

Sent from my LGL41C using BtownBanners mobile app

If Archie had been hired 2 years ago, we'd have Kyle Guy, Kris Wilkes and maybe Jaren Jackson.

I can 100% confirm we would have Kyle Guy. I knew someone who was super close to him and Guy literally said “if not for Tom Crean I’d be a Hoosier. Just not a big fan of the way he does things”

And we wouldn’t have had OG Anunoby and Devonte Green. Who knows?

Interesting and valid point. Crean did have some success finding diamonds in the rough, e.g. D Wade, OG, Vic, Sheehey. Luckily most were to IU and helped us garner enough success to get us back on the positive side of the national spotlight (minus last year's debacle). It helped keep us just relevant enough for some high level recruits to not instantly dismiss IU as no man's land, which has allowed Archie to come in and knock some socks off with his personality and promising coaching career.

Some of you Crean apologists lol

Smh, you have been a negative nancy to all things not named Archie, Romeo and Darius. How you are viewed as the eternal optimist by some I have no idea. You continue to put a negative slant on former coaches, players, analysts, boards, posters...

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

Smh, you have been a negative nancy to all things not named Archie, Romeo and Darius. How you are viewed as the eternal optimist by some I have no idea. You continue to put a negative slant on former coaches, players, analysts, boards, posters...

Crean wasn’t that good man

The optimism began with the Miller hiring.

From what I've been able to surmise it was like instantaneous rehab for Hoosier Guy! (Is that accurate, HG? lol)

Yes, Crean did good things here. Getting us out of Sampson's toilet is something for which we should always thank FCTC. He set the foundation for our return to prominence. But he also didn't have what it takes to recruit high level players with consistency. He didn't have the in-game coaching savvy to adjust to and keep up with more elite teams. It was looking like a long tenure of peaks and equivalent valleys, something the AD (thankfully) and the fans are not willing to tolerate. It was time for a change.

Sorry, back to DG.

Sources say Darius Garland is going as an IU basketball player for Halloween.

That would be an awesome means of announcing his commitment.

Better than the 2 minute videos some kids are doing.

10 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Let’s all remember that no one knows what a recruit is thinking (usually including the recruit himself) and that anyone can make the guesses that experts, insiders, and friends of the family are making.

Yes exactly. Romeo and other in state kids have exceptions because the relationships the families have usually give the home state more news. I know Garland is basically an Indiana kid but not that simple. Everyone has heard or seen how much DG likes Bryce Drew and for awhile on twitter he was applauding kids in the state for going to Vandy. His OV to us changed things, but until he announces I am not sure anyone will really know. Maybe a day or the day of a few hours before the announcement word will leak. I feel like it's us because it is close so I will give Archie the advantage and the fact that Romeo is probably a Hoosier and they do wanna play together. Until both announce lots can change we have all seen it in the past. Hopefully Archie makes a open gym visit to both this week just to be safe.