Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

Just a guess, but I think we’ll know Monday morning where he’s headed. I know the Garlands are keeping things close to the vest but they don’t strike me as a family that wouldn’t let all parties involved know beforehand. Would be kinda crappy to let the staff that misses on him find out through an announcement. My 2 cents anyway.

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

Just a guess, but I think we’ll know Monday morning where he’s headed. I know the Garlands are keeping things close to the vest but they don’t strike me as a family that wouldn’t let all parties involved know beforehand. Would be kinda crappy to let the staff that misses on him find out through an announcement. My 2 cents anyway.

I agree with this.  Not sure how early in the morning stuff will start to trend one way or another, but you're spot on with not wanting the other coach to find out in a public setting.  Still holding out on hope, whether it be less than normal...

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah he kept saying to look out West for Crean's replacement.  Thankfully Glass wasn't that stupid.  I was really worried for a while. 

Actually, SHE may have been right. Archie was in San Francisco watching Arizona play in the tournament. Glass went there to meet him.  I don’t know how the timing worked out but maybe she was right? Or Maybe she just meant Alford. Yuck. 

31 minutes ago, VO5 said:

One thing about moving to the Monday announcement is that it does allow them the opportunity to not have to tell the coaches before hand. That wouldn't have been feasible Wednesday with the IU game and the NLI deadline.

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Keep an eye on Jerry Meyer and watch if he still picks IU.  He is well known for flipping his pick at the last minute.  If he still has IU tomorrow we have a chance.  If he flips we'll know we're toast.

Not at all. Jerry's said his gut feeling is Vanderbilt, but made it clear that may be because he's around Vandy people. He has no solid information. No one does. Jerry could flip his pick to match his gut, but it wouldn't necessarily mean anything's changed. 

Follow Jerry on Twitter. He's usually honest as to whether a pick reflects his best guess or something more. A Crystal Ball pick by itself tells you next to nothing.

Edited by Maedhros
Typos

Have a question -- I've been following this thread on and off for a while, but there's so much here, I can't absorb it all. Is it concrete that Garland actually is announcing his selection tomorrow (Monday), or is that just speculation? And if so, is he making that pick on ESPN, or live in such a fashion that it will be streamed?

I grew up in NW Indiana, so I saw his pop play in high school. I also saw Bryce Drew play and generally, think he is a pretty good dude. So while I certainly hope Garland picks IU, if he doesn't, I'd rather see him play at Vandy for Bryce than at a place like UNC or Louisville or Kansas. 

1 hour ago, VO5 said:

Yep, and all of those Crystal Ball picks that haven't been changed in the last 6 months will start to update starting tomorrow morning too.  Could be fun, and I'm expecting good news.

And our basketball and football programs are in the toilet. None of the s**t you mentioned matters if we lose all of the time.

In your shortsighted opinion, maybe you are correct. Although, that’s tough to justify since our basketball program won multiple B1G Championships and went to multiple Sweet Sixteens in the last 5 years with a less than adequate coach, has now hired one of the premier young coaches in the country, and our football team went to back to back bowl games for the first time since 1992.

So, believe what you want, but I think there’s way more evidence that Fred Glass is setting up the entire AD for long term success.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Not at all. Jerry's said his gut feeling is Vanderbilt, but made it clear that may be because he's around Vandy people. He has no solid information. No one does. Jerry could flip his pick to match his gut, but it wouldn't necessarily mean anything's changed. 

Follow Jerry on Twitter. He's usually honest as to whether a pick reflects his best guess or something more. A Crystal Ball pick by itself tells you next to nothing.

That's kind of my point.  He'll only flip to Vandy if he's certain.

My gut tells me that if a guy in Nashville isn’t hearing conclusive evidence from Nashville insiders that the Nashville kid is going to the Nashville school.... we’re in a really good spot.

Seems like pretty good logic to me. Also, as much as people wanted to poo poo the announcement time and date, the fact it was moved is encouraging to me too. 🤞